The long road to a final unit

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
The road from a first PCB version to a fully working prototype is a long one.

Moving to Kernel 3.17

Nikolaus is working at two things at the same time: Getting kernel 3.17 to work with all hardware AND testing the hardware itself.

There are two reasons to switch to 3.17:
1. It's the latest one (which we also want to use on the final unit)
2. He's also working with 3.17 on the GTA04, and quite a bit of hardware is similar, so it saves some work.

Mostly, Kernel 3.17 is now working fine without major issues.
What's nice is that the CPU temperature is even lower than with the 3.8 kernel (about 10 degrees less on idle state).

The mainboard tests

Now, onto testing the features of the mainboard.

First, let's start with what has already been tested and is working fine:

• Keyboard-Backlight LEDs
  • Shoulder Buttons
  • Nub buttons
  • Nubs (Position etc.)
  • Keyboard
  • Sensor: BMP180 (digital barometric pressure sensor)
  • DC/DC-Converter for the USB-Hosts ports
Not yet tested:

• RGB-LEDs
  • Stresstest VBUS
  • Mikrofon-Detect-Switch
  • CPU-Reset-Logic (LSH-BOTTOM + Poweron)
  • Charger-Bypass
  • FTDI232 (Linux console)
  • Charger
  • Vibration motor, Microfone, Speakers
  • Modem-USB, Modem-Ignite, GPS
  • INA231 (for checking modem status)
  • Fuel Gauge(s)
  • Other sensors

Can't be tested yet (as we need the CPU-Board or the next revision of the motherboard:

• HDMI
  • eSATA
  • USB-OTG 2/3
  • Audio
  • WLAN/BT
  • Display connected to the mainboard
Quite a lot of things to test, but we're moving forward.

Case design

FormAction (the case design company) is back from summer holidays, so we resumed the work there as well.

I'm working on giving detailed explanations how the shoulder buttons should work internally and externally, and we also want to try out Fusion_Powers design as well as optimized the one I suggested.

The OS

Things are moving along, slow, but sure.

We've setup various gits (http://dev.pyra-handheld.com/) and will soon populate them.

The basic creation of a rootfs using debootstrap is already working, now we need work out how to do automatic package creation from sourcecodes and scripts and maybe move to multistrap (so we can create the image directly on the server, not using the EVM).

Other stuff

Two batteries from two different companies have been sent to FormAction. One is thicker, one is wider than Pandoras one, both have 6000mAh.

They will let me know which one would fit better into our case.

We'll most probably use the BOE display, as the quality is great and we already got it to work.

We still want to test the success and maybe a Sharp one.

Oh, and as someone requested it:

The Blog now has an RSS feed as well.

Last edited:
Case design

FormAction (the case design company) is back from summer holidays, so we resumed the work there as well.

I'm working on giving detailed explanations how the shoulder buttons should work internally and externally, and we also want to try out Saber's idea, and Fusion_Powers 3D mockup of it, as well as optimized the one I suggested.
Fixed it for you. You're welcome Michael.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice and steady progress, I like that.

Sensor: BMP180 (digital barometric pressure sensor)
First thing I hear about this. This is something that can be used as a sensor for temperature and altitude/barometer, right? Interesting...

Hi,

I use the current 1G pandora with SL4P and use ot as a ultra portable lab/learn/r&d tool, read ebooks on it and practice test what I learn on-the-go.

Although SL4P is not obtimal to run/compile IPython and R, it is feasable and does work - had more trouble with pandian, although it would use the fpu.

I would like to know if this generic OS+ driver+features availability will be available at release.

Also a remark on the battery. Some cellphones still have bad batteries, I assume you have assessed quality an durability as well.

Regards,

B.

Updates of the Pyra only contain good news, that's great.

With the FT232 can we debug the kernel over USB?
Yes. That's the small MicroUSB-Connector above the USB/eSATA Combo Port.

You can use it to charge the Pyra or you can connect it to a PC, which will then find a serial port which you can use for direct serial output from the OMAP :)

First thing I hear about this. This is something that can be used as a sensor for temperature and altitude/barometer, right? Interesting...
The Pyra is looking to be packed full of even more amazing tech than the Pandora :D
There's a GPS onboard?
Optional. That's been a confirmed feature for a long long time. Lots of discussion going on in the Pyra General Talk section.
What's this for?
Fuel gauge monitors battery level.

Seems like the Pyra will be the Swiss Army Knife of the Homebrewhandhelds ^^

Lots of features, whit a lot more diverent uses,

Cant wait for the Treadth "Wat dit you used your Pyra for today???? "

Pyra = Pandora + Smartphone + More Power = One Pocket in your Pants is free, = Enought Space for a Smal Compakt Camera..

Now Mirror Reflex, but a Mirror Less Bridge...

Thanks for the update ED, great to hear that good progress is being made.

Yeah, first I'd heard about that too, would like to hear more about how it would be used with Pyra, is it to increase GPS accuracy? Sounds like a cool bit of kit, that would be perhaps of interest to people running remote weather stations etc.

I am happy about this! Does the RS-232 port work the other way too? Can I use it to hook things up to the Pyra?

Fantastic update - thank you!

Is there any news on making the rotation chip work properly?

On the case work - good to hear you're working out the shoulder buttons.

Is there any news on whether the space bar will be a double button on the lower right, split into two buttons, or if it's possible to relocate it if appropriate to the layout design?  I.e. is there any chance of this being possible?

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/f83ca1d4243ccc265b4d4304cb5a7081

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to the new device.

Back