The long road to a final unit

Hey, is it still possible to give any suggestion?
what if replace the display panel to TN panel? TN panel is the best gaming panel

Hey, is it still possible to give any suggestion?
what if replace the display panel to TN panel? TN panel is the best gaming panel
It is? Omg... ED halt everything!
What were we thinking?

... on a more serious note. Can you actually suggest a specific panel we could use instead of the one ED spent a lot of time sourcing and testing?

And to actually answer your question. .. no. It is waaay too late to concider any changes to the hardware.

Technically it's not too late. EvilDragon has said on numerous occasions that he'd rather delay than produce an inferior product.
That being said, I don't think there's really an argument for TN panels being best for gaming: they have terrible viewing angles and difficulty with "true black". It's outdated technology, replaced by IPS.
And with THAT being said, I'm almost entirely certain that EvilDragon would notice if he were using a TN panel instead of an IPS (because those are really the only two options for LCD), especially since we're actually using a rotated screen: it'd get washed out just tilting your head a little to the right.
So to answer the question: no, it's not technically too late, but for this particular suggestion I would counter suggest not using a TN panel.

IPS panels tend to have terrible ghosting (although usually only visible in 2D games), and the panel ED picked out has no observable ghosting.
The display ED has chosen is of BOEs own technology, and is probably a better balance between viewing angle and response time.

IPS is thought to be less gamer-oriented because of its response time. Hence the ghosting. TN is much better in this way, but that's about all the pros of it.
When IPS came to be, yes, it was pretty unusable for gaming, but now most of them get 5ms or less.

So unless you're an FPS professional gamer (in which case I suppose you won't play your competitions on a Pyra), it is perfectly fine. I game a lot, and I'm on an IPS screen. Perfectly fine, plus you get nicer colors.

A friend of mine bought a new IPS panel about half a year ago. He hadn't noticed any ghosting at all. Until we started making a simple 2D game. Then, he was almost shocked at the amount of ghosting he saw :p

A friend of mine bought a new IPS panel about half a year ago. He hadn't noticed any ghosting at all. Until we started making a simple 2D game. Then, he was almost shocked at the amount of ghosting he saw :p
Maybe it's related to the background lighting, pretty much all TFT screens have their brightness PWM regulated which can create all sorts of negative side effects, using LEDs instead of CCFL makes things even worse...

I have an old IPS screen that still has a linear backlight regulation, it's actually doing a great job, I can't complain about ghosting at all.

Is there even a panel-type classification with the small smartphone based pannels? I never see any indication of the pannel type besides it's touchscreen-skills. What kind of pannel type are the usual +-5" screens today actualy?
And by the way, there are also great and fast IPS pannels for gaming, I have an eye on a new PC Monitor, EIZO Foris with an fast and high quality IPS pannel.
It will still not reach my current Monitors S-PVA pannels quality (no light bleeding, black is black, perfect colours, almost full Adobe standard etc...) but my old Monitor has a high power consumption due the lack of an LED backlight, sadly. besides that it's almost a perfect Monitor.

Since my first colour phone, I've not had a phone which exhibits TN-style contrast shifts when looked at from different angles, so I guess the vast majority are something like IPS (because it's cheaper than any PVA variant).

I prefer gas plasma Orange.
DSC_3190.jpg

FWIW, those orange on black monitors were never actually powered with a gas plasma lamp I assume, they just used phosphors that gave off a similar spectrum of light to one of those lamps. I've no idea what that laptop's using - it's certainly not using a cathode and phosphors. It looks old enough that it might be dual scan LCD, but it looks a little too high resolution for that to my eye.

FWIW, those orange on black monitors were never actually powered with a gas plasma lamp I assume, they just used phosphors that gave off a similar spectrum of light to one of those lamps. I've no idea what that laptop's using - it's certainly not using a cathode and phosphors. It looks old enough that it might be dual scan LCD, but it looks a little too high resolution for that to my eye.
Toshiba in the mid to late 80's to early 90's literally had gas plasma displays. For example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_T3100 and also the T5200/100 which I still own. These were not battery powered laptops (AC only) so they could afford a power hungry display.

Back