The long journey towards a working display

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Mar 7, 2014.

1. _wb_

_wb_ Microbe Staff Member

Scaling 1920x1080 down to 960x540 still gives a higher pixel density than on the Pandora, so I think that would be a good default (coincidentally, that's the resolution of the Vita).

It would make sense to define a few default resolution settings for X, including fullHD, 960x540, and maybe 800x480, 1024x600, 1280x720 and 1366x768. You could toggle between them with CTRL-ALT- +/- or some other shortcut.

For some applications you may want to use a high resolution (e.g. a browser, which scales everything nicely anyway), for others a lower resolution would be more appropriate (e.g. a Pandora application that was intended for 800x480).

Also if you're going to connect to a monitor or beamer, the ability to switch resolution will be important, so you can make the Pyra screen match the monitor screen.

2. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

I did set my 1080p laptop to 720p.

I's not that the picture is so messed up that it's unusable.

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea on Pyra.

3. Majin Wamu

Majin Wamu Powered by Pixels

The screen looks very beautiful. Its bright and very clear. The layout shown in the snapshots look very neat as well. I am very excited about this, I can't wait for it to be released to the public. I better work my butt off to be able to afford one of my own.

4. TeDaDeS

TeDaDeS Very Active Member

It's 'only' the screen that I've seen (dev-board wont be in the Pyra), but this already feels like the Pyra will be a great device (who would doubt that in the first place, right).

For some reason I don't care that much about them in mobile phones, but in community based devices this is really topnotch. Great work GTA04 (and ED of course)!

5. Linux-SWAT

Linux-SWAT Hardcore Member

I wonder what the next step is...

6. Majin Wamu

Majin Wamu Powered by Pixels

developing a valid case would be pretty nice, but I am sure there is still time before that happens. Hopefully soon tho, I am very interested in what the actual unit will look like on the outside.

7. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

The latest news post will give you more of an idea of the steps before even a prototype case can be made.