MIPI, Keymats, Batteries and Memory

Some people wanna squeeze every drop out of it, or they wont be happy.

Omap5 + 6000 mAh = Awesome to me.

I think his argument is that 6000 is not enough and he would have to carry around a 2nd battery, in his mind that would be a hefty 6000 extra battery instead of a lighter 4200 one. In the situation a 8000mah battery is available you won't need the 2nd battery so it would be the same as having two 4200's in one.

I won't be carrying an extra battery, I always am in favor of the extended battery instead of the 2 battery solution. Until we know "actual" battery life estimates this argument is pointless. We are argueing end results when we don't know the variables that will effect the end result.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion 6000mah is a bad decision

Because with 4200mah you would have a lighter thinner and cheaper Pyra, and you could carry a 4200 thin and light battery which would make 8400mah.

Whereas with 6000 mah you have a heavy, thicker, most expensive Pya, and if you want to have more battery, you have to carry a cumbersome 6000 mah battery or a 4200mah with a big frame. Both alternative are too much for pockets.

So 6000mah don't worth the trouble, 4200mah would be better or the best choice would be ≧8000mah.

I'm not really worried about weight, or having a particularly thin device - but am excited about the prospect of a handheld lasting 30h in light use.

If people are worried about weight, they can just get a  cheap plastic frame and a 4.2Ah battery.

Android uses a lot of RAM because it's designed to keep as many things in memory as possible (especially the apps you use often) so that they will start fast. It doesn't actually require all that memory, it's just convenient so you can shave three or four seconds off startup times. Most apps run just fine in well under 512MB, and only the most intense games are going to exceed that. 2GB should be more than enough for Android. If there's going to be a memory problem, it'll be from someone running multiple apps in Linux; Android would just start killing off old running programs you haven't used in a while to free up memory.
Fine. I concede.

2gb should be plenty untill the 64 bit chips are out and the bugs are worked out on them.  I would love to see 16-32+ GB internal and still 2 external ssd slots but that may be dreaming a bit?

Love the bigger battery size too.

Wait, did GTA4 said pyra will have the latest and the greatest display? I wonder what that is. Will we get  a 4k screen?

6000mhz looks great to me, if it doesn't increase the cost too much, then I'm loving it. I have the habit of buying batteries anyway, so that's money saved. 

That's why we've been checking on this. Basically, to get 6000mAh (which is 2000 more than the Pandora battery has), we'd need to increase the size of the battery a bit. 4mm in width and 1,2mm in thickness.
you guys have been arguing about the battery size and quoting each other but did any one actually read ED's post about the battery?

he went on to say that it might be possible to get the slightly bigger PYRA battery to fit into a PANDORA .. not once did he say the PYRA battery was going to be the same size as the PANDORA battery but with increassed capacity.

I don't think anyone assumed that they were going to fit more into the same size.

The general argument is that either 6000mah is enough, or people want from what I gather 8000mah as that's the number I keep seeing. The problem is we don't know how much the actual consumption is, just an idea. So I'm guessing they're just saying they want 100% more battery capacity instead of 50% more.

My thing is, based off other a15 devices with >7000mah, to hit the 10 hour mark of "normal light use" you're going to need more than 6000. How that translates into pyra consumption is to be told. But if I had to put money on it, that's where it would be.

Are you serious? 4k resolution on a 5" screen?

I can think of only one reason anyone would make such a thing, and that's as part of a pissing contest.

- Neelix
I see no reason to have 4k resolution for the pandora but 4k will be great for VR (Oculus Rift). So I say, bring on the pissing contest!

That's why we've been checking on this. Basically, to get 6000mAh (which is 2000 more than the Pandora battery has), we'd need to increase the size of the battery a bit. 4mm in width and 1,2mm in thickness.
 you guys have been arguing about the battery size and quoting each other but did any one actually read ED's post about the battery?

he went on to say that it might be possible to get the slightly bigger PYRA battery to fit into a PANDORA .. not once did he say the PYRA battery was going to be the same size as the PANDORA battery but with increassed capacity.
We were arguing about the size of the device, not the battery.

-God Ginrai

I see no reason not to upgrade the capacity of the battery if it's possible to do so without increasing the size of the device. Even better if it can still fit in the Pandora (mild hacking included). Pandora battery or case compatibility shouldn't imo be reason to limit the capacity or size of the Pyra's battery. After all, it's a successor, not a companion. 6000mAh will always > 4200mAh, especially as the Pyra will draw more power when doing intensive things. The Pandora's 4200mAh battery has some wiggle room in the case, so if you shave a little bit of the battery compartment, couple that with the wiggle room and you can increase the battery size by a few mm comfortably. 8000mAh would be killer, but I'm pretty sure that would definitely need a case size increase, which I think some people don't want. But, I'll repeat my first sentence, "I see no reason not to upgrade the capacity of the battery if it's possible to do so without increasing the size of the device."

I was one of those who wanted 3-4GB of RAM, I know 2GB is plenty (my phone has it and it's never been a problem in Android), but I'm the kind of guy who typically has hundreds of FF tabs open, so I had to hope for the most.  :rolleyes: Realistically, 2GB will be absolutely fine for Linux and Android. After all, it's about 8x more than my Pandora and N900 had (though they both benefit from swap), and those both already multitask very well.

For internal memory, eMMC would be fine depending on the size, 512MB like the Pandora would obviously be too small, 1GB would be an improvement but still restrict you from using it for non-OS stuff, but I think 4GB would be a decent minimum (32GB on N900 spoiled me though). Now, a microSD card, being replaceable, would also be really nice--benefit is that you can replace it if it stops working and you can increase the size (to a limit). MicroSSD, I don't really know much about so I won't comment, although if that can be combined with MicroSD, even better! But all in all, as long as it still has 2 SDHC/XC slots, I don't have much of an opinion on internal storage. But speed/power/reliability/etc. are the real important factors here, so it's good to check up on all that before making a decision.

Glad to hear about the MIPI stuff and keymat dealings! It must be frustrating to have to do that with little help from the manufacturer/distributor, but good to hear TI is helping to fix with that bug. Things are really coming along. ED, you've been great at keeping us informed frequently (cough cough) with even nitty gritty stuff, thanks so much to you and the team for being so open and keeping the communication channels open! :D

Wait, did GTA4 said pyra will have the latest and the greatest display? I wonder what that is. Will we get  a 4k screen?

6000mhz looks great to me, if it doesn't increase the cost too much, then I'm loving it. I have the habit of buying batteries anyway, so that's money saved. 
They said they were using this exact 1080p display because nobody sells 720p displays anymore. (Industrial control panels have no need of anything bigger than 800x480 and 720p is considered obsolete by the smartphone industry.)

That battery increase sounds great! Seems a no-brainer in terms of power/size/weight trade-off.

A lot of modern devices have an eMMC and (micro?)SD card combo for additional storage. You could have the eMMC for OS stuff and enough space for the user to put games and stuff and if they want to expand it they add a (micro?)SD card. Have yall thought about adding a microusb port for easy communication with a PC? Or maybe an expansion port for future hardware hackers? That would be awesome!

A lot of modern devices have an eMMC and (micro?)SD card combo for additional storage. You could have the eMMC for OS stuff and enough space for the user to put games and stuff and if they want to expand it they add a (micro?)SD card. Have yall thought about adding a microusb port for easy communication with a PC? Or maybe an expansion port for future hardware hackers? That would be awesome!
It's already planned to have eMMC/microSD(internal) for running the OS and two full sized SD slots for application space. not to mention multiple USB options which will give it a killer amount of storage options.

Any news on the keymats?

Back