The Gigantic Star Trek thread

I enjoy Dicscovery much more not seeing it as Star Trek. Though, it's still a bit too much anyway here and there.

I know what you mean, star trek especially TNG is much more subdued or something, probably just a lot less emotional, more grounded in a "we can do this" mentality instead of a "how the fuck are we going to do this" panic.

After some months where i more likely watched other shows, (Walking Death, Mr. Mercedes, etc),
I decided yesterday to continue at least the Original Star Trek Series, (Kirk, Mr Spock), and im still at Session 1, my last Show was when Spock took Captain Pike back to the Planet from the first Show, was cool..
There will be a new Star Trek Cartoon on Amazon Prime soon, where they show the adventures of the crew on the "Lower Decks"..
According to the Intro, the Enterprise have a crew of 400 men, but you see maybe only a couble...

Yeah lower decks was already released in the states it is quite fun. But very very 'fast' you'll miss 12 inside jokes if you blink...

I also like S3 of discovery it seemed a bit more laidback as S1 and S2, gave me a bit original series vibes at some points, especially the timekeeper.

Nah, the story's still aching. Well, it's both. It's episodic, but not like The Simpsons. The story unfolds one topic/task at a time. Their getting on my suspension, though. Or what's the phrase for when they're overdoing stuff like coincedence or emotions or sciency explanations? I think the producers are on drugs.

Yeah lower decks was already released in the states it is quite fun. But very very 'fast' you'll miss 12 inside jokes if you blink...

I also like S3 of discovery it seemed a bit more laidback as S1 and S2, gave me a bit original series vibes at some points, especially the timekeeper.
Hm, I guess I wait for the dubbed (german) version and give the show a try then. Even if it's possible that Lower Decks is one of these series that should be better watched in their original language. I also still wait for "Short Treks". They have ST: Discovery on Netflix (Germany) but Short Treks are nowhere to find there.

Hm, I guess I wait for the dubbed (german) version and give the show a try then. Even if it's possible that Lower Decks is one of these series that should be better watched in their original language. I also still wait for "Short Treks". They have ST: Discovery on Netflix (Germany) but Short Treks are nowhere to find there.
Yeah availability is a big mess in these times, star trek being spread over netflix (discovery), and primevideo (picard) and lower decks but later, then there will be prodigy (with kate mulgrew) on nickelodeon. And I dont know where the section 31 and pike&spock series will be aired :D and indeed the short treks are also there. I think only in the US it is just on one channel.

In Lower Decks, they meantioned on how cool some of the star fleet captains where also a captain Janeway, she was in "Voyager", so how good was this Show? Its from 2000 so some years after TNG, which means i have to watch TNG first, but maybe its also interessting..

And in Lower Decks, they got saved from Captain Ryker?? I though he was just Commander under Picard? Or dit he got his own Ship somewhere in the Timeline between TNG and Lower Decks?

Apparently in the main timeline Riker is only a captain (of the USS Titan) in ST: Nemesis, the last film before the JJ Abrams reboot. He also took charge as captain of some ship or other during a pilot episode they filmed for TNG.

As to the quality of Voyager, I can't help you. It didn't hold my interest when they broadcast it here, although ISTR that was before I was recording TV regularly.

It was some kind of "running gag" through the TNG era, that Riker prefered to stay first Commander "Number One", instead of becoming a Captain of his own ship. And he got alot of opportunities :D
I always prefer TNG over Voyager since TNG had more good episodes, Voyager...depends. But with the introduction of "7of9" the show became much better imho. :oops: (Species 8472 was also a great idea, tbh.)

Ah ok, therefore the Cameo in Lower Decks, as Lower Decks is some sort of a Comedy for "Treckies"?

Also: The Difference between the Original Series, and TNG is a bit that the Crew under Picard is lot more "Proffessional", while under Kirk, they seems to be a bit Chaotic,
How Professional are they under Janeway?

Ah ok, therefore the Cameo in Lower Decks, as Lower Decks is some sort of a Comedy for "Treckies"?

Also: The Difference between the Original Series, and TNG is a bit that the Crew under Picard is lot more "Proffessional", while under Kirk, they seems to be a bit Chaotic,
How Professional are they under Janeway?

Good luck for you the new star trek animation "prodigy" has a role for Kate Mulgrew a.k.a. cpt Janeway.

btw voyager leaned a lot on the premise of the show, a ship being stuck in unkown quadrant of the galaxy. I think the docter was one the best characters in the show. What I did not like was the blatant exageration of molecular biology textbook phrases that made no sense, "oh no his mitchondia are fused!", resuting in really strange effects. As if not every muscle cell has fused mitochondria. Or the giant bacteriophage that would infect humans... as if they were single celled organismes.

A pregnant silica based lifeform makes more sense.

Writing science and medicine in the future is tricky. At the time they wrote those scenes I think mitochonria had just gained widespread acceptance more or less. We know a lot more about it since that dialogue was written. I guess they thought they'd have trouble with the space stuff in TOS, but it turned out the meteoric rise of that science though the 50s and 60s turned out to be not even close to sustainable.

Writing science and medicine in the future is tricky. At the time they wrote those scenes I think mitochonria had just gained widespread acceptance more or less. We know a lot more about it since that dialogue was written. I guess they thought they'd have trouble with the space stuff in TOS, but it turned out the meteoric rise of that science though the 50s and 60s turned out to be not even close to sustainable.
Not really I watched it when it came out and it was just basic textbook molecular biology. (talking about voyager here)

Is there an Answer why they have normal Gravity in the Star Fleet Ships?
Is it because of the big mass causes by the Warp Drive?

Some of the things they do, might dotnt need a Science Answer, its just "Movie Logic", and when its works in the Movie, then its fine..

Its not like on my Pyra Videos, where a Playstation Emulator is playable because its also playable in Real Live..

I'd be surprised if they didn't have an episode where the 'synthetic gravity' got turned off, and they started floating around. Perhaps not the live action ones, because those kind of things tend to be quite expensive to film. The only convincing scientific explanation I've seen for synthetic gravity in scifi is that it's actually centripetal motion, but that means the ships have to spin. That's why most of the ships in 2001: A space odyssey are rotationally symmetrical and are going round.

They have discussed gravity on the shows, and shown the gravity falls at least once

At least in Lower Decks, when they discovered the other Star Fleet Ship, where everyone was death, due to its System where off, also the Grafity was gone ..

Im now on Episode 15 of the First Session of the Original Series, ^^

I was talking to my dad today about streaming services, and he brought up Star Trek, because of Paramount+ that's coming soon. A little bit later I mentioned Star Trek: Prodigy, the Nickelodeon animated series, to him.

I've been thinking, is it really a good idea to introduce kids to Star Trek? It could be a bad influence. You have a normal kid, then one day they suddenly need glasses and start coding stuff for ARM devices. Clearly, we must stop this menace.

Back