The Ur-quan Masters 2x V1.0 (star Control Ii)

Is this "Star Control" port also for people, who never played such type of game before? And do Ur-quan Masters on GP2X include or support other languages (german for example)?

fusion_power said:
Is this "Star Control" port also for people, who never played such type of game before? And do Ur-quan Masters on GP2X include or support other languages (german for example)?
Yes, there's a "nearly-complete" community translation into German, as well as Russian, Finnish, and Spanish. Other languages don't look so complete. The German translation is not fully compatible with 0.6.3, (neither is the Finnish, haven't looked at the other two) but I am looking into whether or not it's a simple fix. In a few days I'll release an addon UQM2X language pack and substitute .GPE scripts to launch each inluded translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion..the only thing you'll be missing is a map. you don't really need one, but if you want one you can get them online. other than that, just dive in!

if any of you have played solar winds (or star control :D ), then you can use that as an example of what uqm is like.

Is Star Control 1 also worth playing or does it pale in comparison?
I heard Amiga version of Star Control 1 is the best version. Is that right?

Ah, OK. Thanx for the Infos. :) I will try the game later, with german lang. pack if compatible and available.
All in all sounds like a game where I can spend in alot of hours. ^^

Senor Quack said:
Are you using R Trigger for thrust? That's the button to use if not.
That would be it, though it's counterintuitive... seeing as how it was "up arrow" back in 1992... :)

Is there a problem with using up and left/right at the same time?

Trevor Bradley said:
Senor Quack said:
Are you using R Trigger for thrust? That's the button to use if not.
That would be it, though it's counterintuitive... seeing as how it was "up arrow" back in 1992... :)

Is there a problem with using up and left/right at the same time?

D'Oh! After playing UQM with the right trigger for a good hour, I've figured out why "forward" is mapped to a right trigger, and I feel really dumb now. I have an F200, and you don't.

The F200's D-Pad control scheme feels way too much like the IBM keyboard "Up-left-down-right" used to play SC2 in the 90's, and UQM in the 2000's. So when I rove around on the surface or even navigate in space, I constantly hold down the "Up" key, while occasionally pushing left and right to turn. It's felt natural since 1992... :)

However, on an F100 joystick, this control scheme would be very difficult to use.. perhaps twitchy at best. You need up to be on almost all the time (perhaps not on Spathiwa for the Ultimate Evil), and using the F100 joystick in that fashion would risk your lander.

I have a suggested compromise: Keyboard config file of some kind? "Up" works as it should right now, it's just that the keypad is "locked" so that directional keycombos can't work at the same time.

One other place where "up+left" or other combos are needed: Choosing a dispatch site for the lander. Right now you have to go left, then up. Even on the F100, diagonal control makes sense here.

I'm happy to be patient with changes... UQM took a long point to get to where it is today, I can wait a few weeks for a simple fix. (Or I should get off my butt, get those sources, and make a fix for myself!)

I have released a language pack containing the four languages the game has currently been translated to:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,29,2412

(Russian, Finnish, Spanish, German)

RE the lander mode thrust issue: Because of the nature of the 8-way GP2X stick, and also the way the game now handles controls, thrust is most easily handled with a separate button. I might look into adding diagonal movement into the planet lander dispatch, as well as fixing planetary thrust, but it's not a priority, as I find R trigger makes a lovely gas pedal.

Senor Quack said:
RE the lander mode thrust issue: Because of the nature of the 8-way GP2X stick, and also the way the game now handles controls, thrust is most easily handled with a separate button. I might look into adding diagonal movement into the planet lander dispatch, as well as fixing planetary thrust, but it's not a priority, as I find R trigger makes a lovely gas pedal.
By all means, keep R as thrust even after a fix. Just consider unlocking the directional keys for a later, later version.

It plays great, keep up the good work!

Trevor Bradley said:
By all means, keep R as thrust even after a fix. Just consider unlocking the directional keys for a later, later version.

It plays great, keep up the good work!
I will, indeed, thanks for the compliment, too.

On a side note:
ARRGGGGHH I just got done getting about halfway through the game (maybe more) and ran out of time! I shoulda know 60,000 RU's was too many! I just love harvesting minerals too much, I guess. I had a badass ship, too! I love this game so much I don't even mind doing everything over

Back