The day the Pandora goes even more open

Surely a no-GPU version would only be for people who believe propriety, closed-source equipment  is worse than no equipment at all....

The RYF certification also says that if multiple versions of a product are released (one that is RYF certified and one that is not) they must have completely different names and packaging so as not to cause any confusion. Whether this refers just to the marketing packaging or if it requires a different product design (entirely different case or perhaps just a different case colour) is not specified.

The RYF certification also says that if multiple versions of a product are released (one that is RYF certified and one that is not) they must have completely different names and packaging so as not to cause any confusion. Whether this refers just to the marketing packaging or if it requires a different product design (entirely different case or perhaps just a different case colour) is not specified.
So Dragonbox Pyra for regular and Dragonbox Potato for RYF certified.

I don't think RYF certification is something we should aim for with the OMAP5 SoC -- unless there would be a way to magically get enough progress on the RE front, but realistically that is not going to happen in time given the lack of progress in the past years.

However, I hope all the non-SoC stuff can be made with future RYF certification in mind. Perhaps if later on, there is a new cpu board with another SoC, with a GPU which has a decent FOSS driver (maybe Mali, Adreno, or Vivante), we can then have the first RYF-certified handheld.

So Dragonbox Pyra for regular and Dragonbox Potato for RYF certified.
And the Potato's case is in a bright pink to avoid confusion. The packaging is made from fair trade coconut leaves.

But honestly I don't think it's a bad idea, there /is/ a group of people who would buy one because of that and if it can be achieved just by shipping the "free" version without some problematic but in principle optional software preinstalled, why not do it?

It would also be possible to handle it like a lot of Linux distributions do it with .mp3 and the like, don't preinstall them, but give the possibility to the user to easily and automatically get them installed after he confirms he really wants that non-free software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know ... you only need one or two agressive idealists who attack every port that could in princile be "free as in free-free" but is just "free" (it will also go the other way around of course: "why don't you use the GPU, it could run at 100 fps and now does only 15!") to make developers lose interest and split the community. I just don't think it will work out ...

I wonder what the status is of that "dedicated TI 2D BitBlt graphics accelerator" -- will it have FOSS drivers or only proprietary ones? How would you use it?

Does anyone have information on that? And on what it can do?

I assume it can do blits with and without alpha and maybe also scaling.

This is the kind of acceleration that is useful for desktop applications (moving translucent windows around, rendering HTML etc), 2D and 2.5D games and maybe some emulators. Sure, you could also use the GPU to do those things, but that's overkill and probably less power-friendly.

And to celebrate the only OpenSource handheld with opened hardware (until the Pyra is out), I've made some limited Mega packages as well!

Available at the DragonBox shop, only in June.

Don't worry about the stock - more units are coming this week.
I have wanted a pandora for so long but never seem to have the money together and be able to justify spending it on fun. After this announcement from ED I have got my arse into gear and started selling things I no longer need on eBay, shifting old computers to people that will use them and calling in any debts I can. I hope to be joining the ranks of Pandora ownership while this great deal is on. If I can get enough I will of course get a 1GHz but if I can only afford the rebirth then I will have to make do instead of not having one for even longer.

Hopefully before the end of June I will be "One of the Elite"™ like the rest of you! :D

P.S. ED - I may have to put that other order on hold for a month or two while I scrape up enough for the Pandora! :ph34r:

EDIT: Of course I could go for a Rebirth or Classic and still fix my Caanoo... I hate choosing when it comes to gadgets!

I wonder what the status is of that "dedicated TI 2D BitBlt graphics accelerator" -- will it have FOSS drivers or only proprietary ones? How would you use it?
There is GPL TI kernel driver already available, and also a user library with a weird license:

http://graphics.github.io/bltsville/

http://git.omapzoom.org/?p=platform/external/bltsville.git;a=tree

The omapzoom git states it's BSD license, while web page CC Attribution-NoDerivs, so it's a mess.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to hit the driver with ioctls avoiding that library altogether. There is also etnaviv project but I'm not sure if they have any support for this 2D part.

EDIT: ok it turns out bltsville is just a binary blob, but I still think the kernel part should be enough, unlike for 3D GPUs.

And to celebrate the only OpenSource handheld with opened hardware (until the Pyra is out), I've made some limited Mega packages as well!

Available at the DragonBox shop, only in June.

Don't worry about the stock - more units are coming this week.
I have wanted a pandora for so long but never seem to have the money together and be able to justify spending it on fun. After this announcement from ED I have got my arse into gear and started selling things I no longer need on eBay, shifting old computers to people that will use them and calling in any debts I can. I hope to be joining the ranks of Pandora ownership while this great deal is on. If I can get enough I will of course get a 1GHz but if I can only afford the rebirth then I will have to make do instead of not having one for even longer.

Hopefully before the end of June I will be "One of the Elite"™ like the rest of you! :D

P.S. ED - I may have to put that other order on hold for a month or two while I scrape up enough for the Pandora! :ph34r:

EDIT: Of course I could go for a Rebirth or Classic and still fix my Caanoo... I hate choosing when it comes to gadgets!
I should have picked one up much earlier.  I first read about the project in the early stages, and checked in from time to time.  I had the money a couple years ago and still held off.  If you are interested pick one up as soon as you can.  If it is right for you I am sure you will love it.  

It doesn't have to be just for fun, you can use it for other stuff too, but that stuff is fun for some of us.  Although I picked up a Classic, I suggest the 1GHz (or bundle) so you can get the full functionality for use with some emus and such.

It doesn't have to be just for fun, you can use it for other stuff too, but that stuff is fun for some of us.  Although I picked up a Classic, I suggest the 1GHz (or bundle) so you can get the full functionality for use with some emus and such.
I imagine it will see service for many things, yes. It all comes down to how much cash I can get together by the end of June but 1GHz would be my first choice.

HamishTPB, I just went through the same process and finally had to snag a Rebirth for cheap from eBay. I am enjoying mine a lot. I had not planned to use it much for gaming but ended up using it to practice for a SNES Super Street Fighter II tournament (came in 2nd) and just finished playing through the PS1 version of Final Fantasy V today. Tonight I will be connecting my USB DVD drive so I can rip Chrono Cross to it and start on that over the weekend. Meanwhile, my 3DSXL has been collecting dust. :)

I am keen to get involved with the community and not just be a passive consumer so I am trawling through the forums and wiki in preparation. I have been dipping my toe in the programming waters again with GLBasic, I am not sure if that will be updated to suit the Pyra as well but for now it is a starting point for me with the Pandora (and the GP2X series).

HamishTPB, I just went through the same process and finally had to snag a Rebirth for cheap from eBay. I am enjoying mine a lot. I had not planned to use it much for gaming but ended up using it to practice for a SNES Super Street Fighter II tournament (came in 2nd) and just finished playing through the PS1 version of Final Fantasy V today. Tonight I will be connecting my USB DVD drive so I can rip Chrono Cross to it and start on that over the weekend. Meanwhile, my 3DSXL has been collecting dust. :)
Well done for getting a good finish in that tourney ;-) Interestingly I have not touched my "games" PC for ages but have been playing games on GP2X (caanoo b0rked) loads. Discovering stuff emulated on systems I never played at the time (most of the consoles from the mid 1990s onwards!)

I doubt whether a RYF version would generate more than a handful of sales.

Most of the parts as they are are not 3D printable, but it's an incredible start towards something custom. Now if only I actually had an idea...
Am I misunderstanding? Can you not 3D print the case? or were you referring to other bits?

I have downloaded the files, but not actually looked at them (I don't have a 3D printer, but there's a few sites you can "order" your 3D prints from)

Most of the parts as they are are not 3D printable, but it's an incredible start towards something custom. Now if only I actually had an idea...
Am I misunderstanding? Can you not 3D print the case? or were you referring to other bits?

I have downloaded the files, but not actually looked at them (I don't have a 3D printer, but there's a few sites you can "order" your 3D prints from)
I haven't seen the model files yet, but I guarantee it would be difficult to print the case on most consumer level FDM printers. One issue is most likely the quality of the print on hobby level printers. the other maybe the models are tough to print without adding extra support material.  EvilDragon had done the Pyra case printed most likely by some expensive industrial 3D printer.

I haven't seen the model files yet, but I guarantee it would be difficult to print the case on most consumer level FDM printers. One issue is most likely the quality of the print on hobby level printers. the other maybe the models are tough to print without adding extra support material.  EvilDragon had done the Pyra case printed most likely by some expensive industrial 3D printer.
Exactly so. There are a lot of overhangs and dangly bits in many of the models that can't be printed on a consumer printer without filling basically the entire thing with support structure that would be difficult to clean up.

Okay, thanks. My lid has cracked, and was thinking I could maybe get a 3D printed one - which would also let me pick a colour :) I'll probably just tape up the cracks for now

Back