The Cradle

Anyone having a problem of the cradle only outputting in black and white, whatever the setting (pal or ntsc) I have a feeling its my s-video to yellow cable thing that I found deep within a cupboard, but I can't really be sure.

Gemsi said:
Anyone having a problem of the cradle only outputting in black and white, whatever the setting (pal or ntsc) I have a feeling its my s-video to yellow cable thing that I found deep within a cupboard, but I can't really be sure.

Probably that, I had a few that weren't wired right or something, and it gave black and white. Not sure think there may be a different one for output and input or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeladin said:
Gemsi said:

Probably that, I had a few that weren't wired right or something, and it gave black and white. Not sure think there may be a different one for output and input or something.
Good, seems I was on the right track then, now I just need to go find a adapter that works, anyone know of any ?

Goity said:
Most of my plastic covers have fallen off anyway
same here... :ph34r:

and two more question please:

if you tilt the cradle a little bit to the front, so that the gp2x is perfectly straight standing (and not slightly leaning back anymore).... could then the gp2x fall out of the cradle? i am asking cause i want to use it my car....

and, ok, i know the gp2x mk 2 can power the cradle. but can the cradle also power a gp2x mk2?

Gemsi said:
Yeah, same here. I was trying to impress my partner.

"And look with this cradle I can now output to the TV...", I explain to her
*Fiddling around, power up TV, start up GP2X*
"Why is it black and white?", she asks.
"Well... it's this cable I think. Okay, show's over until I get a better adapter".

I've got a standard Sony 68cm TV but it only has composite AV inputs. It's been the bane of my console playing existence. I've been saving up for a nice LCD screen with ALL inputs, I can't wait until I get something decent.

Can anyone recommend a good LCD screen, high resolution, lots of inputs which works well for video game consoles? I want composite, s-video, component, SCART and HDMI. VGA/DVI would be a bonus.

manhill said:
if you tilt the cradle a little bit to the front, so that the gp2x is perfectly straight standing (and not slightly leaning back anymore).... could then the gp2x fall out of the cradle? i am asking cause i want to use it my car....
It might not fall out, but the bouncing about of the car won't do it any good I wouldn't have thought?

manhill said:
and, ok, i know the gp2x mk 2 can power the cradle. but can the cradle also power a gp2x mk2?
There's no power in through the ext port on the base of the 2x.. so no. You'd have to rig up a power line out from the cradle to the side power port on the 2x.

slaanesh said:
Gemsi said:
Yeah, same here. I was trying to impress my partner.

"And look with this cradle I can now output to the TV...", I explain to her
*Fiddling around, power up TV, start up GP2X*
"Why is it black and white?", she asks.
"Well... it's this cable I think. Okay, show's over until I get a better adapter".

I've got a standard Sony 68cm TV but it only has composite AV inputs. It's been the bane of my console playing existence. I've been saving up for a nice LCD screen with ALL inputs, I can't wait until I get something decent.

Can anyone recommend a good LCD screen, high resolution, lots of inputs which works well for video game consoles? I want composite, s-video, component, SCART and HDMI. VGA/DVI would be a bonus.

Im not sure if its the same problem that I was having but i fixed it like this http://gpxile.com/2007/03/10/how-to-fix-gr...v-out-problems/

Nickmon said:
Also the USB networking socket is covered over, so small usb to pc cant be got to.

Can big usb to pc usb be used for networking?
Why not just get a USB to LAN adaptor? Then you are all set, you could even go online without a PC on!

I would find a file and make a square notch in the side to fix that if I needed it.

Gemsi said:
I seem to have sorted the problem with the Ext port cover, for people would do not wish, or can't open the unit up a remove it, just pull the cover out towards the front on the unit, and with only a little realigning the unit sits in place and just works.

Cue a (very,very)crappy camera phone pic
DSC00048.jpg

I hope just gets the point over that you can do it, just a bit of a pain
That's the crappiest photo I've seen on this board :p I always knew these Sony Ericsson über-megapixel phones scale up the picture from 128x96 pixels but this is bad xD

Yeah, for the people complaining of black-and-white TV-out, it is a known problem and that link above will fix it... your adapter just doesn't bridge chroma and luma I as I understand it, you can fix that with a tiny bit of wire.

No [****] my EXT cover snapped off !!! I tried what that geek said about turning it forward and within one go it snapped off son of a bitch :angry:

EDIT: :( at least it doesn't fall out though... hopefully... grr lol shutup telco none of that :p now ok !!! thankfully i got to test the tv out though now it fitted and i don't have any black and white issues.

Mudi said:
Yeah, for the people complaining of black-and-white TV-out, it is a known problem and that link above will fix it... your adapter just doesn't bridge chroma and luma I as I understand it, you can fix that with a tiny bit of wire.

That's good then, now I just need to find some wire.

Gemsi said:
Mudi said:

That's good then, now I just need to find some wire.

Use a capacitor, not a straight wire. They are the brown flying-saucer shaped electrical components with two metal legs.

See wikipedia on S-Video for a circuit diagram (or the EXT port wiring diagram on the GP2X wiki, it has a circuit for S-Video and for regular Video).

Jackd said:
pffft. [****] that... a piece of wire from an old ethernet cable worked perfect for me
:lol: That made me spit food!!!!! :lol:

Thank you, thank you :)

I want to buy the cradle, but the feedback isn't being too good. There are a lot of problems reported (black and white screen, booting problems,etc). Would you recommend people to buy this thing)

Another thing, I only have the gp2x, no power adaptors, tv-out cable, nothing. So, if I want to fully use the cradle, what should I buy??

- The cradle
- Two power adaptors (????) (gp2x mk2) (one for gp2x and another for the cradle?)
- The cables for the tv

Anything else? Do I really need to buy those two power adaptors? Are they different)

The issues aren't as bad it may seem. I didn't have the black and white issue, the only gripe is the EXT cover but if you can get over that it's fine. You definately need a adapter for the cradle if you plan on plugging in any USB HDD's otherwise it's fine. Card readers etc get powered easily. Put it this way both MK1 and MK2 users are going to need to use two power adapters to get full use of the thing :(

palplayer said:
I want to buy the cradle, but the feedback isn't being too good. There are a lot of problems reported (black and white screen, booting problems,etc). Would you recommend people to buy this thing)

Another thing, I only have the gp2x, no power adaptors, tv-out cable, nothing. So, if I want to fully use the cradle, what should I buy??

- The cradle
- Two power adaptors (????) (gp2x mk2) (one for gp2x and another for the cradle?)
- The cables for the tv

Anything else? Do I really need to buy those two power adaptors? Are they different)
Well I got mine yesterday and although I was initially a little dissapointed I'm actually pleased I have it now. TV out is only a problem if your tv doesn't support S-video (which mine doesn't). This did give me a headache but I found an s-video to composite adaptor which does the trick (you can get them on ebay for about £2). It has to be said though that TV-out isn't the best, certainly playable but not as clear as I would like - probably due to the fact that I had to downgrade the s-video to composite, it may be a lot clearer if you can use s-video directly.

Joypads are the next problem, the one I had didn't work but I tried my usb adaptor for playstaion joypads and it works great, very nice playing picodrive with a joypad. My advice would be to make sure the joypad is compatible before buying it - telcolou found one that he says works great 'Logitech Precision Gamepad 2' these can also be found on ebay for about £7 including postage.

As for adaptors I haven't needed to use one yet, my MK2 has been capable of powering the joypads and tv-out by itself so you would really only need one if you're planning on using external HD or other high power devices. The only other thing which is a problem is the extension cover which does indeed get in the way so I carefully removed mine and the problem is solved.

Now that I know I have to power the cradle with a power supply mine works every, time, got it Tuesday this week.

ITs a great piece of bit, I have tried usb memory stick - no issues, USB pad - no issues. Have a usb HDD caddy arriving any day day to play with the HDD stuff.

Have accessed music via craigAmp from the USB Pen drive, viewed pictures from it, its great.

Going to have to spend some time and reconfig some of the emulator config files to use the HDD or Pen disk for loading Roms from but thats life...

Trying TV out tonight now I have a lead.

Im really pleased with it now I understand how it works (IE needs power in my case, I must have an older gp2x).

What I would like is a media center type interface app for it so picture viewing, music playback can all be from a nice tight interface, some clone of Win XP Media Center would be ace - or am i mad ?
If an app like this was shipped with it on a CD, it would be a great addition..

Back