Well, I Ordered One.

Dan2552

Still Fresh
First of all, hi, I'm new! Just thought I'd made a little introductory post. I ordered the F200 model, got an email saying they're out of stock for the moment, but I thought I'd go ahead and research some things to do on the 2X when it comes.

I have a few questions,
- For wi-fi support, would buying a breakout board and an RT2570 chipset wireless usb dongle be sufficient?
- If so to the above, any ideas/estimations to how much extra battery consumption such would use?
- I've had a little look into the different kind of software that can run on the GP2X, and I understand if there's a lack of touchscreen compatability with the majority -- I was mainly wondering, is there any support for a web browser with touch (and OSK; on screen keyboard) support, and is the GP2X capable of running abiword or maybe even purhaps openoffice with an OSK?

Can't wait to try out ScummVM and play my old favorates on the move. (Alright, I could play some with my DS, but it doesn't support Full Throttle! :eek: )

Echomote said:
- For wi-fi support, would buying a breakout board and an RT2570 chipset wireless usb dongle be sufficient?
- If so to the above, any ideas/estimations to how much extra battery consumption such would use?

None, as you need a power supply in order to use the BoB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(sorry for the late reply, my account was locked because my 1st post appeared as spam because it had links in it :p)

you need a power supply

Well, I ask because I read (in some thread in this forum, cant recall where) that the official dock (breakout board) supplies more power to USB devices than the kind of cable which the guy in the tutorial used. What's limiting the use of taking power from the batteries?

Probably not, but how about using all 4 USB ports to power the usb wifi dongle?

USB gives out 5V right, how much does the EXT. port give out?

Don't forget it's not just about voltage. Your power supply needs to be providing adequate current to drive all your hardware, too... and WiFi chipsets use a LOT of power if they have decent xmit range....

How about underclocking when Wi-Fi is in use? No need for any real CPU intensive apps when trying to browse the web... Are the cores capable of underclocking? Would it even help :p?

I admit, and as you can probably tell, I'm quite uneducated in electricity.

Well firstoff before optimising renderers,

is it actually a feasable option to underclock + be able to use a wifi dongle?

Back