The Cradle

Actually, I will buy the Cradle as fast as it is released here in Spain. Also I think that the Cradle will open new developments or improvements on computing utilities for GP2X like web browsers, irc clients, qtopia, gpe, wordprocessors, etc, etc, etc.... and a great improvement of the doble use of GP2X: portable machine - tv-monitor machine.

It will be really great!

gp2xstore.com says they will get first batch 27th of april, for around $49.99 USD =) not half bad

Meh, I've got to revise until the 24th anyway, so no cradle for me until then. At which point there'll be a consensus on who's cheapest, I'm sure, and I'll be able to order from them...

Or, alternatively, I could wait until mid-May whe I'm going to see my girlfriend in the states and buy it while I'm over there at a LOT less than otherwise (works out £15 less, I think, seeing as I would avoid VAT). Heheh. Wonder what I'll do :)

I'm getting confused here.

I've got a MKI, and a power supply for it. When I buy the bob, will I be able to power it through the GP2X, or will I be able to use my old adapter to power the bob and the GP2X through it, or will I need another power supply and power the bob and gp2x seperately?

Also, is there some sort of comprehensive list of emulators thet support usb joysticks, and will the menu or gmenu2x be browsable through the joystick.

Neither the official menu or GMenu2X support USB-joystick browsing (yet) I dunno about Open2X...

EDIT: forgot to mention the emulators I know of with joystick support:
PicoDrive
CPS2 Emulator
MAME

Sterf said:
I'm getting confused here.

I've got a MKI, and a power supply for it. When I buy the bob, will I be able to power it through the GP2X, or will I be able to use my old adapter to power the bob and the GP2X through it, or will I need another power supply and power the bob and gp2x seperately?

Also, is there some sort of comprehensive list of emulators thet support usb joysticks, and will the menu or gmenu2x be browsable through the joystick.
No one seems to know for certain; at least those who are "in the know" ... it's almost like they're keeping us mis-informed on purpose ... maybe to boost sales of the mysterious 5 volt adapter. <_<

Go to the file archive and download the manual for the developer's BOB. You'll be even more confused about this version (the commercial one) after reading it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, time for more crap from the confused asshole;

I just got the dev. BOB a short while ago. I'm disappointed it didn't come with any weird Japanese candy, but I digress ...

I plugged in an official 3.3V, 2A AC Adaptor to the BOB, hooked up everything correctly, and managed to get a USB joystick to work in Picodrive and MAME. Hooray for this small feat ... now,

... my USB HD does not work; it gets power, but the '2X does not recognize the drive. I read the back of the HD, and it uses an optional 5V, 1.5A adaptor. My PC recognizes the drive by plugging in the 2 male USB plugs into the PC, and the small plug into the drive; this does not work when attached this way to the '2X.

Now, do I need yet another AC plug for the HD, or am I missing something here? The '2X was running on batteries, since I didn't have time to get a euro-u.s. plug adapter ..

.. does the '2X (it's a MK I) NEED the adapter to have enough power to read the drive?
.. do I need to format the drive as FAT32?
.. does the Dev. BOB actually need a 5V adpter to get enough power to the HD?

</very confused consumer>

Barnaby said:
This is a bit off topic, but is it just me, or is www.GP2X.com not working? It won't load for me! And neither will the picture of the BoB from the site. :S
It's just you it seems.

Uh, ok then, dammit, I need to get the price of a GP2X so my dad can send me a cheque (price including postage). I'll try again tomorrow. But how many people have a BoB right now? I'm interested in getting one, are they any good? They certainly look nice ;) . EDIT: The site's working now...

TelcoLou said:
.. does the '2X (it's a MK I) NEED the adapter to have enough power to read the drive?

The bob should be able to power a HD as far as I know, assuming your PSU gives enough current.

Also, when I was messing around with my HD I ad a lot of bother - gmenu2x messing up the usb host. Switching on usb host before / after connecting HD, switching on HD support. I can't remember the right recipe, also my HD has its own Li-ion battery (had a ton of difficultly with it trying to charge off the gp2x, needed a custom powerless cable). On the positive side it was even able to charge itself from my BoB. My psu does 2.5A at 3.5V btw.

I doubt your Gp2x needs a power adapter to read, that's just the normal usb signals... it definitely wants to be Fat32 though. I'm not even sure you can feed 5V into the Dev Bob.

I can understand why they might have changed that input voltage to 5V for the bobox, its mostly having to power usb peripherals isn't it? We'll see what the story is on that anyway. I don't think they'll actually have changed anything, it works after all.

Barnaby said:
This is a bit off topic, but is it just me, or is www.GP2X.com not working? It won't load for me! And neither will the picture of the BoB from the site. :S
dont know about the .com site but the .co.uk one was down earlier

Finally.

The BoB was LONG overdue. Long LONG overdue.

Now I expect it to just be overpriced. :lol:

PokeParadox said:
The drive would need to be partitioned and formatted to FAT32.
I'm not sure but I think you'd have to provide power to the drive...
Many thanks :D I made 2 partitions, formatted to FAT32, and it now reads the HD .. but freezes when trying to run MAME from the drive; it loads the front-end, I can select a game, but then the '2X freezes :p

I can't help but think there's a power issue here, especially with the new commercial BOB requiring a 5V adapter .. or is it maybe now an issue with transfer speed(?)

Zeladin said:
TelcoLou said:

The bob should be able to power a HD as far as I know, assuming your PSU gives enough current.

Also, when I was messing around with my HD I ad a lot of bother - gmenu2x messing up the usb host. Switching on usb host before / after connecting HD, switching on HD support. I can't remember the right recipe, also my HD has its own Li-ion battery (had a ton of difficultly with it trying to charge off the gp2x, needed a custom powerless cable). On the positive side it was even able to charge itself from my BoB. My psu does 2.5A at 3.5V btw.

I doubt your Gp2x needs a power adapter to read, that's just the normal usb signals... it definitely wants to be Fat32 though. I'm not even sure you can feed 5V into the Dev Bob.

I can understand why they might have changed that input voltage to 5V for the bobox, its mostly having to power usb peripherals isn't it? We'll see what the story is on that anyway. I don't think they'll actually have changed anything, it works after all.

... even more information to confuse me further :lol: The official GPH's AC Adapter is 3.3V at 2.0A ...

Well, movies play just fine :lol: .. so the Dev. BOB is happy with 3.3V ..

My personal suspicion is all the references to 5V are misprints, I bet this is essentially just the dev BoB in a nice box. We'll see...

Back