The Cradle

Jr2swiss said:
I changed the information to 5v/3A which it should be. Sorry for the misinformation.

They released pricing terms for the cradle to me. You have no idea how many times i've bugged Gamepark Holdings about the cradle. ;)
* sighs *

OK ... but why then does the dev BOB only require a 3V ac adapter, when the commercial BOB needs 5V?!?

This is very confusing, and I can't be the only one wondering about this ... :(

Shifty said:
TelcoLou said:
This looks pretty damn cool though, especially since the EXT plug sits neatly inside the cradle (my design will have one plug inserted into the left side, turning upward by 90 degrees, then back into the lower section, up into the cradle where the 2nd plug inserts into the '2X. It won't look too shabby though (I hope ... :unsure: )
Oh yeah about that...The cord that connects the GP to the BOB is really thick and im not so sure if its long enough to reach! :eek: Do any of you know where a thiner, flexier, and longer cord is that has the same connections as the one that comes with the original breakout-board? I can't seem to find it.
icon2.gif

... it should be long enough, if the specs they put out are correct (though lately, I'm doubting everything I read about the BOB, dev. OR commercial versions) .. specs say it's 20cm long, which shoul dbe long enough to reach ...

Wait and see I guess ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll buy one of these at $50 + adapter + shipping, NQA! Looks like it's been worth the wait too - great design!

...and only a little more than a week away!! :)

TelcoLou said:
* sighs *

OK ... but why then does the dev BOB only require a 3V ac adapter, when the commercial BOB needs 5V?!?

This is very confusing, and I can't be the only one wondering about this ... :(
When I use the dev bob, I can actually just use batteries and power the GP2X, the bob, and a 2GB Flash Drive! Without any 3v, 5v ac adapter! This is with an MKII of course.

I'm not real sure why the commercial one would require a 5v since it looks to me like its the same thing as the old one...

Is it odd that I am turned on by this? ;)

Great looking cradle, can't wait to get one, thanks for the post. :D

Maybe the power supply is optional because it is optional? Honestly, once I have one I will rant if my MK2 gp2x will not power a USB device I plug into it. But I think a mk2 plugged into a power source (there is no way the BOB can power the GP2X, but a GP2X MK2 can power a BOB) will be fine while docked... So ehum, will the cradle power the GP2X? No. But the GP2X should be able to power it...

I have a MKI.
I'm very confused.

The manual (for the developer's BOB), which I downloaded from the archive, says that for my MKI unit, I need an AC adapter (3V) attached to my '2X AND the BOB. I assumed this information was accurate, and as such, ordered an official GPH AC Adapter (3V) .. I already have one, so this makes the 2nd one I would need.

I'd also like to get a commercial BOB eventually, but can't seem to find out why it would need a 5V adapter, since the developer version would only need a 3V one. I don't want to order yet ANOTHER AC Adapter if I don't need to ... and I'd really hate to blow up my new BOB by using more voltage then I need to ... (I'm no electronics wiz, but I'm pretty sure that 5V > 3V ...)

</very, very confused geek>

TelcoLou said:
I have a MKI.
I'm very confused.

The manual (for the developer's BOB), which I downloaded from the archive, says that for my MKI unit, I need an AC adapter (3V) attached to my '2X AND the BOB. I assumed this information was accurate, and as such, ordered an official GPH AC Adapter (3V) .. I already have one, so this makes the 2nd one I would need.

I'd also like to get a commercial BOB eventually, but can't seem to find out why it would need a 5V adapter, since the developer version would only need a 3V one. I don't want to order yet ANOTHER AC Adapter if I don't need to ... and I'd really hate to blow up my new BOB by using more voltage then I need to ... (I'm no electronics wiz, but I'm pretty sure that 5V > 3V ...)

</very, very confused geek>

The only thing I can think of is that they are finally doing something right, except of course they don't include the power supply with it. Are you planning on running WiFi or a hard drive from the USB power? Or just memory sticks, gamepads and a 10/100 Ethernet USB adaptor? Because the extra PSU might not be needed.

Either way you have 2 GP2X's right? You still might use the spare AC adaptor.

USB is 5-volts, thus it made no sense to me why the dev box needed 3-volts. 5 volt adaptors and supplies are easy to come by, 3.3 volts is pretty weird at 2 Amps.

It does seem lousy, perhaps the best course of action is to get a PC power supply and take the 3.3 and the 5 volts off of it. On the plus side you can use it to power external USB drives and recharge the PSP or GBA SP.

I am seriously considering it because of all the times I need clean filtered 12v/5v/3.3v on my test bench, and sometimes in pretty big quantity, like a few amps.

Well, I do have a cool 60GB USB Hard drive I want to use. Thus my concern ..

Thanks for the response .. I really was starting to think I had lost my mind ...

I find the cradle both highly desirable and highly repulsive at the same time.

Okay, it's a great add on. Lots of options and stuff.

But it's a handheld. 99% of the charm of my GP2X is that it's utterly portable. I can put it in my pocket, walk around the house, play in my car, bedroom, lounge, toilet, whatever!

Now the cradle has some appeal. It adds all this neat stuff. TV out and USB ports. Great for devving I think. Actually, excellent for devving!
But I'm wondering what the appeal is for casual gamers? Do you really want to carry that around? Wouldn't it lose that portable charm? Why would you want to connect a keyboard and mouse and all that stuff to play games? Surely you may as well use a laptop which would be infinitely superior given the difference in specs.

So I'm wondering if it's worth the while buying. Would I even use it much? It's kind of nice. My devving side says "yes.. buy me!". My gaming side says "waste of money, not going to use it".

Dunno. Anyone else feels the same?

The only use I see in it (besides JTAG) is that you can use it to make your GP2X into a multiplayer TV game console (which is actually kind of cool).

Blah said:
The only use I see in it (besides JTAG) is that you can use it to make your GP2X into a multiplayer TV game console (which is actually kind of cool).
Yes, that thought crossed my mind. But I have a modded Xbox with most emulators on board which can do this better anyway. I would think that most emulator enthusiasts probably have something similar for their emulation needs.

Possibly the biggest ace up the sleeve for the cradle is the geek-appeal. It really does turn the GP2X into a mini Linux box.

slaanesh said:
Blah said:
Yes, that thought crossed my mind. But I have a modded Xbox with most emulators on board which can do this better anyway. I would think that most emulator enthusiasts probably have something similar for their emulation needs.

Possibly the biggest ace up the sleeve for the cradle is the geek-appeal. It really does turn the GP2X into a mini Linux box.

Great for taking arround to a mates house as well for multiplayer fun - will be a damn sight easier to cart around than an xbox, not that I have one anyway - used to use my dreamcast for that though I think emulation is better on the 2X. The main reason I want it is for the tv-out and multiplayer which I think will be great. The ability to add a keyboard will also make the old computer emulators a lot more playable.

My gaming side says "waste of money, not going to use it".

Which is easier?

Carrying a MAME cabinet to your mates house...or taking the BOB, handheld and 2-4 usb controllers??

Carrying everything for the megadrive (console, plugs, wires, 10 games) or or taking the BOB, handheld and 2 usb controllers??

The BOB is still small enough to fit in a bag and lug around....in fact, to me, it extends the portability possibilities due to being able to play on the gp2x with other people.

Why would you want to connect a keyboard and mouse and all that stuff to play games?

Why not?? It expands the type of games to be played on the gp2x (without having to dick about with the joystick, that many/few have a problem with), not only that, nowadays people are more likely to have usb keyboards, so if you are taking this to a mates house, you may not need to carry a keyboard and/or mouse! :)

slaanesh said:
Blah said:

Not everyone has an Xbox (modded or otherwise). I like the whole cradle idea, since one the software fully supports it (better tv-out options, more usb joystick support) it turns your GP2X into a weird tranformer console.
e.g. (la la la playing GP2X on the back of bus, la la la get home to where the cradle is already rigged up to all the gadgets and TV, just pop it in and *shock* it's a home console) That's a lot less hassle than most things I can think of... and unless you are Benheck... your Xbox won't be so portable... (Hell even if you are Benheck I doubt the portability of a portable Xbox >_>) Anyway I can see the use for the cradle, so I'll get one when I feel I have enough dosh.

DBH said:
Thats pretty pricey :( if only was about £30 inc delivery that be reasonable.
UK people may well be better off ordering it from the States what with the current pound/dollar high...

USPS Global Priority $17.10
USPS Airmail $8.50
FedEx International Economy $72.00
EMS Global Shipping $30.00

To Ireland for the Console value pack, which is bulkier and heavier...

I'm almost tempted, but its still half the price of an x2 3800+... and the old sempron is getting a bit... you know.

Edit; They should port wifi drivers and sell a particular stick with some extra SW for the GP2x now. It would work great as an environmentally friendly media system... for those of us who have servers running anyway... Otherwise an external HD is better

Edit2; Nearly forgot, there's VAT if you order from America, and it'll be slow... at $68 it works out at €50 or so, before VAT.

Back