The Cradle

Im guesstimating this is just going to be the Dev BoB in an enclosure.

In that case (no pun intended) it would be nice just to be able to purchase the enclosure on its own for a slight premium. That way all these Dev BoB's dont go to waste :)

wow, finally, the cased bob....any good quality pics of the gp2x docked with it that havn't been messed with like the one on the first page? bit hard to really get a good look at it.

i think i'll wait to the price drops a bit and things start using it like emulators with controller support.

anyone know the requirements for a USB HDD for this, or will any USB HDD do?

Parkydr said:
I'm going wait for someone to buy one and sort out what power supplies are needed.

I want one for this

Damn they're sweet :D

Bang Rockbox on your iPod & you'll be able to use it as an external hard drive for the 2x & transfer your tunes for playing ;)

Getting one of these as soon as my 2x's repaired. Multiplayer emulation rocks :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Bang Rockbox on your iPod & you'll be able to use it as an external hard drive for the 2x & transfer your tunes for playing ;)

i put rockbox on my ipod and ever since the battery life has been awfull i get 2ish hours from it

norm said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:

i put rockbox on my ipod and ever since the battery life has been awfull i get 2ish hours from it

Never noticed the battery life myself, as I use a dock for playing it next to my computer whilst recharging & a wireless dock for my car.. which also recharges it.
I have heared people complain about that though.
Hope they get it sorted out soon enough.

Just got some new/additional info about the cradle, source GPH:

* The cradle adapter is only needed for peripherals which need extra
power, such as external HDD. AND in combination with a mk1 (First Edition) unit!

If you have a mk1, you always need to power the cradle with an adapter.
No matter what peripheral device you use.

* The gp2x doesn't power the cradle.

* The cradle doesn't power the gp2x. So you will need batteries or an extra adapter to power the gp2x.

* Official Cradle adapter will be available in about 6 weeks time.

* The cradle adapter is 5V/3A.

kevcal said:
gp2x.info said:
* The cradle doesn't power the gp2x. So you will need batteries or an extra adapter to power the gp2x.

Madness!
Gone right off this now.
Well to be honest I never thought this would power the 2x as there is no way of doing this via the ext port. Hardly the end of the world, the main thing is the bob doesn't need to be powered for things like joypads (providing you have a mk2).

It seems so short-sighted - it could at least have had an output (optional flying lead) from the cradle to the gp2x..
Why should I need to connect up 2 power adapters when 1 would have done.

Hippo said:
Im guesstimating this is just going to be the Dev BoB in an enclosure.

In that case (no pun intended) it would be nice just to be able to purchase the enclosure on its own for a slight premium. That way all these Dev BoB's dont go to waste :)
The board would have been re-engineered to fit the case in order to get the ext connector situated on top centre of the board. The power LED has also moved. And that's just looking at the photos. Who knows what else has changed.

kevcal said:
It seems so short-sighted - it could at least have had an output (optional flying lead) from the cradle to the gp2x..
Why should I need to connect up 2 power adapters when 1 would have done.
That's true and would have been a good idea. I'm planning on just running mine from batteries and just hoping that the peripherals I use won't need any extra power. I'll mainly use it for tvout and joypads so should be fine. I do get the impression though that a lot of decisions that GPH make are made so that you have to buy more accessories and give them more money (hence this whole thing with the new bob needing a completely different power supply to the one already available which will no doubt be another £20.)

DBH said:
quite an evil underhanded tactic by them as well makes them comparable to sony if that is the case!
I think you over-estimate GPH's ability to be evil (I don't think they're that organised), it was probably just cheaper for them to manufacture.

If Sony had done it, there would be only one power supply but the cradle would would be more expensive.
They'd also make you buy Sony Controllers, Sony keyboard, Sony mouse, Sony external disk etc.

Back