The Cradle

namco said:
Why would you want to connect a keyboard and mouse and all that stuff to play games?

Why not?? It expands the type of games to be played on the gp2x (without having to dick about with the joystick, that many/few have a problem with), not only that, nowadays people are more likely to have usb keyboards, so if you are taking this to a mates house, you may not need to carry a keyboard and/or mouse! :)

Exactly - you can get some very compact keyboards nowadays as well - I have one but it's ps2 though :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Portable MAME box.

'nuff said?

I'd like to keep a BOB in my desk drawer at work; since I'm imprisoned in a chair for 8 hours, it makes for a nice compact multi-media center :)

kevcal said:
Exactly - you can get some very compact keyboards nowadays as well - I have one but it's ps2 though :(
This is somewhat going out on a tangent, but still:

Is there anyone who has a lead on really compact keyboards? I'm not talking laptopsized lets-throw-away-arrows-and-numpad, but more something the size of those chatboards or something the size of a Psion 5 keyboard?

Moxie said:
This is somewhat going out on a tangent, but still:

Is there anyone who has a lead on really compact keyboards? I'm not talking laptopsized lets-throw-away-arrows-and-numpad, but more something the size of those chatboards or something the size of a Psion 5 keyboard?
How about something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexible-Silicon-Rol...1QQcmdZViewItem

ruckage said:
How about something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flexible-Silicon-Rol...1QQcmdZViewItem

Nah, far too big. And floppy, too - No good at all :)

What I had in mind (not that you could guess from my original post, so it is a good try) is something that would allow me to use the gp2x more like a proper computer light, or a PDA or something. That would mean a keyboard of more or less similar physical size as the gp itself, and then an installation of qtopia or something like that :) but it is just a long shot, I know.

It's not like the BoB is hardwired to the bottom of the GP2X. When you want to go portable, take it off the BoB. It just makes gaming on the GP2X that much more versatile. I have no modded Xbox and emulation on Dreamcast is a little annoying and generally not as good as GP2X.

So this BoB will make my GP2X a retro-gaming home console, which is totally sweet. B)

gp2x_keyboard2_concept1.jpg

gp2x_keyboard2_concept2.jpg

gp2x_keyboard2_concept3.jpg

gp2x_keyboard2_concept4.jpg

If only huh? :(

Yes! That'd be exactly what I'd be looking for! Thanks all :)

i can't decide if i love that or hate it :D but it would be sweet for the gp2x, esp. for playing keyboard-requiring games on a road trip...and don't forget about those ericsson chatboards...

Well I see gp2x.co.uk has officially announced the new cradle and it's apparently in stock (which is funny as didn't think it was being released until 1/5/07)
At a price of £39.99 I won't be buying from there anyway as it's by far the most expensive site so far, and no excuses about VAT as http://www.gp2x.de/shop can do it for 50eur which includes 19% vat (approx £34).

Shame as I would much rather buy from my own country.

Hmm... a bit pricier, although if you add shipping it gets closer to the actual amounts. GP2x.de says it's 9-14 Euros, which is to say ~60 euros --> £40.50 (according to xe.com). Then add shipping and it's ~£43 (recorded delivery).

Also, the one at gp2x.co.uk says it includes an extension cable - the question is, which bit for? Is that a power cable (which would put it actually lightly cheaper than gp2x.de) or an svideo lead for TV-out?

Do wonder where their joystick caps have gone though... wanted to get one at the same time lol!

Well I see gp2x.co.uk has officially announced the new cradle and it's apparently in stock (which is funny as didn't think it was being released until 1/5/07)
At a price of £39.99 I won't be buying from there anyway as it's by far the most expensive site so far, and no excuses about VAT as http://www.gp2x.de/shop can do it for 50eur which includes 19% vat (approx £34).

There was one site saying that it'd be available on the 27th of April

Back