The Communication Cube

Phone masts take power. With the current cost of power due to russia's warmongering and the fallout from that, it may make sense to turn them off overnight when most people are sleeping, and anyone who wants to check twitter when they wake up at 4am will just have to be on wifi instead of cellular,

The heaviest rains from Hurricane Ian shall now be hitting North Carolina on Friday evening, meaning my ride to my sister’s place on Saturday and to the beach on Sunday should be safe.

Florida, on the other hand, has already been thoroughly screwed. Among the things going viral is a stranded kitten that’s presumably dead now.

• Sad
Reactions: rSl
I hope you're right. If the hurricane is predicted to arrive again on land in south carolina, I hope your right that the worst that the state immediately to the north will only get a little rain.

Last edited:
I’m actually kinda sad that I have to hold onto the money I have now for my beach vacation. I did order some pizza earlier, so it’s down to $120. I would’ve loved to just gamble on scratch-offs until I either won big or went broke, but I ran out of time this morning, because it was after nine, and I had a psych appointment at ten. I would go gambling tomorrow, but it’s going to start raining before dawn and continue raining through dusk. Maybe I could sneak it in on Saturday morning. My dad says he’s not picking me up for the vacation until at least nine.

I woke up at 3:30 and am afraid to go back to sleep, because I might oversleep and not pack for my beach vacation. Oh well, only about an hour until morning now. Usually staff would call and wake me up to take my meds, but nobody’s coming in this morning. I was given my morning meds in advance, along with all my vacation meds.

Phone masts take power. With the current cost of power due to russia's warmongering and the fallout from that, it may make sense to turn them off overnight when most people are sleeping, and anyone who wants to check twitter when they wake up at 4am will just have to be on wifi instead of cellular,
I guess it makes sense. I hope they can leave some basics on, like emergency phone calls, or calls to help lines to prevent suicide, or some such. Maybe some protocols or frequencies require more power than others, or maybe you can make do with bigger cells and you turn off some towers and reject service to most numbers/hosts to reduce demand.
And some people will have to go back to paying with cash ? I guess credit cards just need a land line, but payment apps need both sides connected, I guess.
It may end up being a nice to have problem... A little online detox for many...

I woke up at 3:30 and am afraid to go back to sleep
1664617679835.png

My sister was late getting out of work, so I might not be leaving until ten, in about an hour. Just kinda bored here.

Great, now my sister says they left, but they’re having tire pressure issues, so they’re going to stop to get that checked. I might not be out of here until after ten-thirty.

Great, now my sister says they left, but they’re having tire pressure issues, so they’re going to stop to get that checked. I might not be out of here until after ten-thirty.
How are you going to eat with all that wind? take BIGGER bites?! fffff yes..

I said grids won't be able to cope with electric cars if there are ever so many as current fossil fueled cars. But I didn't think the grids might not cope even with just our phones. I guess it's not so surprising for people who have lived in Africa, But curious how we manage to screw things. Let's hope phone network operators are just paranoid and it's always better to be prepared for something that ends up not happening than the other way around,
I wonder how that is going, blackouts are expected next year already. As obviously next year there also won't be any Russian gas available, which was made permanent by blowing up those gas pipelines.

My local network operators already have a sort of a power saving mode at night, that reduces your reception in house (especially my house).
If there would be a power outage my local operators all have battery back-up power that at least keeps up all stations for 24 hours but at reduced signal strength.
Turning them off might be possible but that would leave their customers without service, which probably gives more trouble than having reduced reception.

Hey, just got to the beach. My dad drove through some standing water here, and something started dragging on the bottom of his car. Fortunately we were still able to get to the beach house.

Not being able to call emergency services - what could possibly go wrong?

I’m going out with a friend who lives at a nearby beach tonight.

This morning I walked two miles for coffee, then two miles back. Uphill both ways.

• Love
Back