The Communication Cube

Russian Duma

Russian politicians be like.

tmp733091644525510657.png

Why today ? Hasn't it been so since ever ?
Probably since they started disconnecting the Dollar from gold. But yes, the inflation rates of the Dollar are incredible. Imagine working hard, saving up Dollars for your old days, and then when you are too old to work your money turns out to have lost 80% of it's value. And then you have to get back to work while regretting that you invested in a currency for suckers instead of gold.

Probably since they started disconnecting the Dollar from gold. But yes, the inflation rates of the Dollar are incredible. Imagine working hard, saving up Dollars for your old days, and then when you are too old to work your money turns out to have lost 80% of it's value. And then you have to get back to work while regretting that you invested in a currency for suckers instead of gold.
I'm splitting hairs, but the risk was not that they disconnected from gold, but that they had the authority or at least the power to disconnect. You could invest in dollar the day before disconnection because it was tied to gold and then they disconnect and is no longer tied to gold. You can say the investor is not guilty or could not have taken a better decision, but the point is that he put trust in something that changed value.
A dollar is basically an I owe you from the USA government saying the USA society will give you back some abstract value in goods and services when you give them your dollar, so you should trust the dollar as much as you trust the USA government or society.
The fact that the USA government (or the Federal Reserve, or whatever it is) once promised that it could trade dollars for a fixed amount of gold and then broke the promise is relatively irrelevant.
Even before the change of promise you still needed to trust that the USA government/society would fulfill the promise, whatever the promise was at the time . That was always your risk. Higher risk the longer you held your dollar, of course, but that's like in any business, the longer it takes, the riskier it is...

I'm splitting hairs, but the risk was not that they disconnected from gold, but that they had the authority or at least the power to disconnect. You could invest in dollar the day before disconnection because it was tied to gold and then they disconnect and is no longer tied to gold. You can say the investor is not guilty or could not have taken a better decision, but the point is that he put trust in something that changed value.
A dollar is basically an I owe you from the USA government saying the USA society will give you back some abstract value in goods and services when you give them your dollar, so you should trust the dollar as much as you trust the USA government or society.
The fact that the USA government (or the Federal Reserve, or whatever it is) once promised that it could trade dollars for a fixed amount of gold and then broke the promise is relatively irrelevant.
Even before the change of promise you still needed to trust that the USA government/society would fulfill the promise, whatever the promise was at the time . That was always your risk. Higher risk the longer you held your dollar, of course, but that's like in any business, the longer it takes, the riskier it is...
Forget all that. Investing requires a probabilistic mindset. Park your cash where you expect the highest returns. I suspect you don't have much (cash) otherwise you would have considered dollar denominated securities, their pros and cons. USA is still the best country to start a business. EU is a joke. No innovation there, no capital either. And no appetite for risk. EU sux.

Only idiots leave their savings in cash. US stocks kick fucking ass. Just buy them. Or do you want to talk about Bitcoin?

Forget all that.
Not that I think much about it anyway. I was just following on your Volodomir quote. My point was that it was silly of Volodomir to discover today that the USA (or any country, more or less) can seize assets, raise tariffs or go on embargoes.
The fact that it happened now doesn't mean it could happen always.
Investing requires a probabilistic mindset.
Yes, and political interference with certain investments is a never null probability (nor should it be).

Park your cash where you expect the highest returns. I suspect you don't have much (cash) otherwise you would have considered dollar denominated securities, their pros and cons.
I wasn't speaking nor want to speak about my finances or any financial advice. I wasn't even speaking against your advice.
I say if you invest in the USA it is because you trust USA government and society, and you say one should invest in the USA because it is the best country and their society has appetite for risk.
You say one shouldn't invest in the EU because EU sux. So you are kind of confirming what I said, that one should invest in countries one trusts.
Volodomir apparently says otherwise, but says it like it was news.

USA is still the best country to start a business.
What you and I say is compatible, I don't confirm nor deny whether USA is a good place for investments, just that investing in the USA requires trust in the USA, which, you add, you have.
I don't need to say whether I agree to that in order for me to note that if Russia is afraid of being bombed by the USA and their allies, which they say are creeping ever nearer, then they should be more afraid of the USA
or allies seizing assets, raising tariffs, divesting, waging public opinion against Russia, etc. because that may not be everyday business but it's always likelier than nuking Russia.
So it's surprising that Volodomir acts now surprised.
EU is a joke. No innovation there, no capital either. And no appetite for risk. EU sux.
I guess one can come to similar conclusions from different arguments. EU might suck a little more this evening, let's hope it doesn't. It's a risk I don't have any appetite for.
Is it just me, or have Russians been attacking ED’s server lately?
I found some access shortages this weekend, yes. But I don't think Putin would dare. A two months war here would drain his resources.

@Null What happened to your avatar?

He had his dream destroyed.

My dad says he probably won’t take me to a restaurant this Wednesday, because he has to do something for my older sister up by Raleigh. At least I’ll probably see him on Easter.

This also leaves me wondering what to do with my weekly cash. I haven’t felt like gambling since I won that $300, because spending it was unsatisfying, just like I thought it would be.

Do you set some cash aside each week? Maybe you can save up for later. Invest it in something more reliable like Bitcoin (at your own risk) or gold and then just leave it be. As for gambling, just buy Pokémon Crystal and go to the Game Corner. One of the prizes is a Porygon.

I have the Metal Slug Anthologie on PSP, liked it quite much, but wasnt that succesfull finding the Game on the PSP Shop for the PSVITA,
So it was one of these Game Series i missed a few Years..
On Pandora i ditnt had succes whit the Neo Geo Emulator, but now that it works on Pyra, maybe i could remake a full run on all 5 Games ^^

Maybe on the Easter Weekend, hopefully its sunny outside..

Actually you're right exchanges and brokers have strict KYC requirements and probably actually real-time reporting at this point. I recall about 5 years ago localbitcoins started asking for things like proof of purchase of ledger wallet along with id scans, of course. Bitcoin is not as fun as it used to be. My theory is most of the interest is because firms want to reproduce the HFT boom. Front-running is a solid business model.

Back