The Communication Cube

This latest cold snap has brought the temperature in my apartment down to 67 degrees. Hopefully this is the last one, as switching back and forth between heating and cooling would mess up my A/C.

surely the car is trained to avoid lawsuits, etc not save lives directly.
Ah, fine. But do they need deep learning for that ? Well, maybe yes, I guess the system detects the situation where it should trigger the lawsuit avoidance. I guess that 3,5 seconds before impact a 3 pages disclaimer with a scroll bar pops up in the middle of the dashboard basically saying "the owner, driver, and all ocupants accept that the system was not designed for the use that they gave it and assume all liability in the case of any forthcoming accident. Please click Accept to unblock brake, steering, doors and windows or Details to learn more.". And a company lawyer gets an SMS with some coordinates where evidence can be cleared, because in any eventual lawsuits, it is paramount that evidence is clear.

Last edited:
suggesting cars should be banned or whatever is counterproductive. people want to drive. mandate green cars. I'll pay that price, if everyone else does too.
Whatever, if you can't be bothered to keep your planet habitable, we can also make do without banning cars. Let's just cut all public funding to maintain or build roads, and let the die hards drive around all terrain while the rest of us travel comfortably by train, bicycle or on foot. Or pay for their own roads themselves, and understand how expensive cars really are.

Whatever, if you can't be bothered to keep your planet habitable, we can also make do without banning cars. Let's just cut all public funding to maintain or build roads, and let the die hards drive around all terrain while the rest of us travel comfortably by train, bicycle or on foot. Or pay for their own roads themselves, and understand how expensive cars really are.
On my bike I can only really ride well on well maintained tarmac. I've seen people with mountain bikes with better suspension than my old road bike tackle a bridlepath that goes up and down, but that bridlepath is still a lot more maintained than a lot of the paths I take on my walks, and I'm sure if I took that route on my old boneshaker I'd come off pretty bad. So for my bike at least I only ride on well maintained tarmac.

On my bike I can only really ride well on well maintained tarmac. I've seen people with mountain bikes with better suspension than my old road bike tackle a bridlepath that goes up and down, but that bridlepath is still a lot more maintained than a lot of the paths I take on my walks, and I'm sure if I took that route on my old boneshaker I'd come off pretty bad. So for my bike at least I only ride on well maintained tarmac.
I wasn't considering bike lanes as roads. Tarmac or not tarmac, a bicycle path is much cheaper to build and mantain than a car road, if only because they're narrower. (even when they make them wider because there are many bicycles, they're still narrower than highways) And bicycles contaminate much less than cars (electric or ICE). Their construction may impact climate, but I don't think their use does. And bicycle material is more recyclable than car stuff, especially Li-ion batteries (let's hope that's to improve). I guess riding a bicycle on tarmac causes less impact than on dirt paths or cross country, and optimizes human effort. and bicycle life, so I'd keep maintaining bike lanes. In fact I'd repuporse car lanes for bicycles or lay rails on them, and mantain only those lanes, because roads have often occupied the best paths between places and are pushing bicycles to detours and longer routes to stay safely away from cars.
The problem would be with trucks, buses and ambulances. Most stuff should migrate to train cargo, but that may not be practical everywhere, so there would still need to be some sort of service lanes, but not for private cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
I like the stilts comparison:
Imagine you built your house at a time where everyone was walking on stilts. Everything is high up and when you need to grab something from the top shelf you think to yourself:"Thank god for stilts, life would be more complicated without them."
It's what's happening for cars. We built our cities and infrastructures around cars, so of course cars are more convenient for nearly everything.

And the right answer isn't "replace cars with bikes" or "replace cars with public transportation and bikes". It's an interesting paradigm for a lot of reasons, but there's a lot we need to rethink, change and rebuild if we want it to be practical.

I think I may have just stumbled across Peony's new favourite game. :)

Reactions: rSl
It's beautiful. It's accurate. It's a bit depressing...

uzwwn2uliiu81.jpg

Back