Release The Babylon Project

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is The Babylon Project, a Full Free game, using FS2Open engine, recreating Babylon 5 universe.

preview1.png
This is a port using glshim. Because some functions are still not implemented, I had to disable certain effect (most particles effects).

Also, it's not visible on the screenshots, but I have forced 800x480 fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6VyvIBnKG_8?feature=oembed
A video of the gameplay on the Pandora by Ingoreis.​

The engine is FS2Open, so it's a different (more evolved) engine than the one used for the ports of FreeSpace & FreeSpace2. But they have some common points, so mosts keys are the same as in FreeSpace2.

By default, the details are set to "Medium". You should no go up on a CC, because of the lack of memory. Higher detail may (or not) works on other models.

I have not tested much, so it may crash.

Also, nubs are set to "mouse" on right nubs, mbuttons on left nubs, but you can change the behavour with the right_nub and left_nub files in appdata/babylon

Custom keys are (like FS1/FS2, the layout proposed by @cube48):

Right nub - aiming / directing

D-Pad Up / Down - accelarate / deccelerate

D-Pad Left / Right - roll left / right

R-Button (Right Ctrl) - shoot primary weapon

L-Button + R-Button (Shift+Right Ctrl) - shoot secondary weapon

L-Button + D-Pad (Shift + Arrows) - redirect shield energy accordingly (up=front, down=rear, left=Lside, right=Rside)

L-Button + q (Shift + q) - equalize shield energy

Backspace - speed to zero (default setting)

0 - speed to max

1 - afterburner

2 - cycle forward primary weapon slot

3 - cycle backward primary weapon slot

w - cycle forward secondary weapon slot

q - cycle backward secondary weapon slot

. - increase throttle 5 percent

, - decrease throttle 5 percent

History log

=========

Build 05

----------

• Repackaged, now compatible with Firmware SZ 1.62+
Build 04

----------

• Repackaged, as Build 03 has some error
Build 03

----------

• Newer glshim
  • Added all campaign from official DVD
Build 02

----------

• Newer glshim, the previously disabled effect are not disabled anymore
  • Using Texture streaming and a new Theora build, intro movie is smooth (on a Gigahertz model)
Build 01

----------

• Initial Build
  • Using glshim
  • Some key customisation
  • Forced screen to 800x480
  • Compatible newer drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for info, the 1st intro movie, beeing quite hires, can be a little slow, even on a Gigahertz model (the other movies seems fines), and loading time are not super fast neither (plenty of DXTc textures to load).

But the game has adequate fps (around 30~40 on my Gigahertz).

There is probably some room for improvement, but it's already nicely playable, with no artifacts.

Great, great show. a bit dated now but ahead of its time back then. What they managed to do with no budget...

Game looks nice too.

:blink: this is ... mindblowing! I didn't even know this exists! The only B5 game I ever found was "Babylon 5: I've found her" (http://ifhgame.ru/) ...

and now ... this is here ... on the Pandora !!

I absolutely love Babylon 5, no idea how this plays on the Pandora, but I know I will love it no matter what :D

Thanks!!

:blink: this is ... mindblowing! I didn't even know this exists! The only B5 game I ever found was "Babylon 5: I've found her" (http://ifhgame.ru/) ...

I absolutely love Babylon 5, no idea how this plays on the Pandora, but I know I will love it no matter what :D

Thanks!!
It's worth the 1GB download just for the intro, but I'm a big B5 fan.. It's pretty awesome even though I can only hit friendly ships it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Babylon 5 was awesome! I have to test this, thanks ptitseb

Thanks!!
It's worth the 1GB download just for the intro, but I'm a big B5 fan.. It's pretty awesome even though I can only hit friendly ships it seems.
Minbari are not freindly, you can shoot them, but that true your Wingmen have a tendancy to go into your aim easily...

New build on the repo.

I have a new build of Theora (sound lib) including NEON optims, and a new build of glshim with preliminary support for Framebuffer, Arrays Buffer and Streaming Texture.

That means all effect are activated (you can try High Detail now) and the Intro movie is not stutering anymore (on my Gigahertz model).

Build 02

----------

• Newer glshim, the previously disabled effect are not disabled anymore
  • Using Texture streaming and a new Theora build, intro movie is smooth (on a Gigahertz model)

New build on the repo.

Thanks to @jgeiss, I didn't noticed that the version I used was not the full DVD.

So I add all the campaign to it.

That have a bit enlarged the PND, to a whopping less than 2Go ... So enjoy full Babylon 5 stories and adventures in space.

Build 03

----------

• Newer glshim
  • Added all campaign from official DVD

Back