Sword of Colour (working title)

SiegfriedCroes

Game Developer | Pixel Artist
SWORD OF COLOUR (working title)

I'm working on a "new" game at the moment, actually turning my PandoraPanic minigame (called "Arena") into a stand alone game with extended and more original gameplay. For those who never heard of "Arena" it looks like this:

herop.png

In this new game you play as a Hero wielding a "Colour Sword", at the end of every swing your sword turns into a different colour (from Red to Green to Blue back to Red). Just like in the minigame you have multiple enemies on screen but this time they are also in different colours and like you can guess you can only kill a monster when hitting him with the right sword-colour.

The Goal is to kill all enemies with as few sword-swings as possible. So you have to try and have multiple monsters with the same colour in the same place (you will be able to push an enemy with your shield to move it) and kill them simultaneously (with one sword swing).

That's all for now, I'll post some new screens as soon as it looks different enough from the screen above.

This idea has a lot of promise... there's so much you could do by adding different enemies or items. And I love the retro sprite graphics.

Maybe there could be some kind of splash bomb you could set or throw to change the color of enemies? That would add a new twist on the strategy. Or panels on the floor the creatures walk over (assuming they move) that could change their color.

And maybe there could be barriers the player can only pass if their sword is of the matching color!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, and I like the idea behind the gameplay, sort of puzzle-ish. Things like this make waiting for my Pandora all the more difficult! Ever think about using the character from this game in a Zelda type game? I know that idea's been done a million times over the years but not for the Panda. Anyway, great piece of homebrew you have here. I look forward to playing it sometime this year....hopefully.

Nice concept and graphics style. Sounds like this could be fun. Added to the watchlist :)

Thanks for the replies guys :D

@Lynceus Glaciermaw: Yeah, I like those ideas but I'll see if I can include them in the game (see "the reason for this game").

@Orion4874: I would love to make it more like Zelda, so a real adventure and not just one screen levels (also read "the reason for this game").

@Caine: Hehe, Thanks :D

Just some more information about the game. Actually I'm not really making this with the Pandora in mind, but don't worry, I'm using PokeParadox' Penjin so it will work.

The reason for this game:

I'm studying DAE (Digital Arts and Entertainment: Making games, animations and post-production stuff) I'm in my last year which includes an internship. I want to be a Game Designer so as part of my portfolio I'm going to make a few simple games to show that I have knowledge of all aspects of it (graphics, gameplay, music, story,...). This game will be one of them and I want to have it finished before November (so it will be just a simple game). But you never know, maybe I'll turn it into a Zelda like game later on.

The first version of my game is almost ready, windows users will be able to download and try it very soon. Here are some screens:

titlehw.png

instructionsp.png

ingamez.png

Just my 2 cents, but after seeing your new screen shots I have to say "The Sword of Color" seems to have a better ring to it than "The Color Sword".

Might sound like nit-picking, but "Color Sword" sounds like some sort of 3rd party NES crap game, while the "Sword of Color" gives it a bit more Medieval flavor.

In general I tend to see the working title of something to usually be better, after all they say "go with your first instinct."

Not a criticism mind you as this looks great, just my opinion which is usually not worth the electricity it takes to post it.

Can't wait to see what it becomes when you are finished.

I just love those graphics :) . I wish I could pixel half that well :p . This'll definitely be on my to-play list

Just my 2 cents, but after seeing your new screen shots I have to say "The Sword of Color" seems to have a better ring to it than "The Color Sword".

Might sound like nit-picking, but "Color Sword" sounds like some sort of 3rd party NES crap game, while the "Sword of Color" gives it a bit more Medieval flavor.

In general I tend to see the working title of something to usually be better, after all they say "go with your first instinct."

Not a criticism mind you as this looks great, just my opinion which is usually not worth the electricity it takes to post it.

Can't wait to see what it becomes when you are finished.

Your right, but I went for The Colour Sword because it worked better for the title screen logo (I just could find a good way to arrange it for "Sword of Colour")... :p

@Trip: Thanks :)

it's nice to see colour being spelt correctly :D
Well I am pretty sure most Americans would disagree with you on that ;)

Anyway, enough off-topical nitpicking.

The screenshots look awesome I must say, it clearly resembles the PandoraPanic! minigame, but with a nice twist and new addition.

The menu screen also looks great and gives it a nice touch.

Hope to play it soon.

foxblock out

Looking great!

Just an idea:

You could add different player characters to the game. Something like a wizzard, that has a magic ball to kill enemies.

wizzard.png

A Wizzard? That would be Rincewind :D Nice image, why does he look so sad?
Ever played loom by lucasarts? Always wanted to make some sort of rpg out of this game but I can't with my limited skills. But I don't want to hijack this threat.

I will create a new one, when I have a storyline and everything togehter to get started.

Ever played loom by lucasarts? Always wanted to make some sort of rpg out of this game but I can't with my limited skills. But I don't want to hijack this threat.

I will create a new one, when I have a storyline and everything togehter to get started.
Yep, loom was great. I case you didn't catch the reference, I was just referring to your spelling. It's spelled Wizard, not Wizzard.

One of the protagonists of Discworld (Rincewind) wears a hat with the word misspelled as Wizzard.

To get back on topic, I like the idea to have multiple characters playable in this game as well. Either as just a skin, or as different game mechanic.

Multiple characters would be cool but having a wizard that uses magic is kind of weird as it's not about a colour sword anymore.

Now what I wanted to say, for those who use Windows (it should work in wine too) you can download the first version of "The Colour Sword" on my website (which is still under construction) ---> www.siegfriedcroes.com (you can also download a reprogrammed version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (first level) although this one will not work in Wine).

for those who use Windows (it should work in wine too) you can download the first version of "The Colour Sword" on my website
Why are you developing this for windows? It'll be a lot easier to port to the Pandora if you develop for Linux instead.

Are you planning on compiling this with the ARM version of winelib?

my best guess would be: because visual studio rocks!

somehow i think if the man is posting this on these boards, he has crossplatform in the back of his mind

As he is using Panjoust, I'm pretty sure his code is very portable. And delivering binaries for a plateform you still don't own is something... fishy ?

Back