Worst story in a game

kasp

Very Active Member
I was playing the story mode on soul calibur 5 and I just couldn't get over how bad the story was. Now I know it is a fighting game so it is not a huge part of it but I swear they didn't even proof read it. SPOLER ALERT (Although there isn't much to spoil to be honest)

So it starts off you play as Patroklos who is searching for his sister who was kidnapped by some people that are malfested(some sort of demon thing i think) and following the bidding of some lord. Turns out that lord is really Nightmare (The big evil guy with the big evil sword) and has been sending Payroklos off killing innocent people rather than helping him find his sister and killing malfested. However the people fighting Nightmare expose him for the evil he is and gives you a sword which will help Payroklos defeat him.

After a short search Payroklos finds his sister and she is being manipulated by Tira (some evil malfested chick) and once you defeat her Payroklos and his sister are reunited and are heading back home. Anyway it turns out his sister is malfested so Payroklos runs away like a little bitch and his sister decides everyone abandoned her so she will become the most evil person on the planet.

To save his sister Patrokolos must combine 3 enchanting things one of which being the sword Payroklos posseses. Well luckily for him the two people who have the other 2 enchanted things are talking to eachother so he fights them and they agree to help do whatever combining the three things does.

So now with the enchanted sword Payroklos goes after his sister. The sword which shows up as the image of their mother tells Payroklos to kill his sister. So he fights his sister and kills her. Patrokolos regrets killing his sister and seems to be stranded on some kind of soul plane. Some old guy comes up and talks about his "will" or something then BAM Payroklos can time travel. He goes back in the past to save his sister. (I am so lost right now)

So Petrokolos goes after his sister again meanwhile one of the guys who gave him the sword kills Nightmare. He battles with his sister and this time decides not to kill her. So his sword isn't happy so he battles it which then encases him in crystal. His sister realising the error of her ways using the evil sword, then uses the evil sword to break her brother out of the crystal. They then together destroy the good sword (I think both swords were destroyed but I am not sure how)

They go off and live happily ever after.

That is the story summed up, it is an absolute mess and the only good thing about it was how easy it is to ridicule.

Now does anyone else know of any games with horrible stories/plots?

Last edited by a moderator:
mortal kombat deception and armageddon had decent stories, which are quite deep, but horribly executed. so once again, fighting games have no reason to have stories to be great games

Mega Man 9.

A terrible, badly-designed game, with a story that's bad not only because it's outright trying to be stupid (possibly "parodical", but definitely stupid), but also because it's completely out-of-character and out-of-step with the rest of the Classic series, and is full of enormous, glaring plot-holes and character deficencies.

The plot centres on a law that puts an arbitrary expiry date on robots, and upon that date dawning, they are to be executed for no reason whatsoever other than that date having come along.

For one thing, Dr. Light would never allow a law that mandates the killing of robots to even get close to passing - he's not only a top roboticist, but also something of an activist in that field - and yet the game depicts him as not only being ok with it, but also quite happy to allow his own creations to be put to death under this law (the eight bosses in Mega Man 9 are Dr. Light's own creations, convinced by Dr. Wily into fighting back - surprisingly, this IS in-character for Wily, and it's one of the only things the game's story does get right). Not only is this completely out-of-character for him, but it also directly contradicts the way he's been depicted in all of the other games that he's appeared in.

The game's story is full of broken nonsense like that, to the point that Hitoshi Ariga wrote a mini-manga for the soundtrack liner notes, to try to correct the enormous problems with it. Worse still, those same liner notes were also used as a vehicle for delivering some hastily-thought-up, out-of-character, "in-story" excuses as to why one of the series' major protagonists was missing from the game, too! (All sensible people simply disregarded this as the stupid nonsense it is.)

An absolute disgrace.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, 10's story was clearly written by people who know the series properly, and it acts almost as though the ridiculous elements of 9's story - namely, most of them - never occurred at all. At the very least, it can easily be said that it glosses over them, because 10's intro outright states how people can't live without robots and have long been dependent on them, thus invalidating 9's stupid plot altogether. :p

The plot centres on a law that puts an arbitrary expiry date on robots, and upon that date dawning, they are to be executed for no reason whatsoever other than that date having come along.
Have you played Megaman ZX Advent? This isn't explained in-game, but the manual explains that humans are given cybernetic enhancements while reploids are given artificial enhancements, making humans and reploids more equal. The result of this is humans and reploids not killing each other.

To be perfectly frank, I don't see a problem with this plot point. It's not "no reason whatsoever", it's to prevent humans from attacking the robots out of fear or jealousy.

Have you played Megaman ZX Advent? This isn't explained in-game, but the manual explains that humans are given cybernetic enhancements while reploids are given artificial enhancements, making humans and reploids more equal. The result of this is humans and reploids not killing each other.

To be perfectly frank, I don't see a problem with this plot point. It's not "no reason whatsoever", it's to prevent humans from attacking the robots out of fear or jealousy.
I have indeed. However, you're missing the point: The Classic series is NOT the ZX series, and your reasoning is bizarre (Reploids don't even exist in this time, thus nor do the political issues surrounding their humanity, and, to be honest, your analysis of the result is incorrect and missing some well-known facts that do get covered - it was a result of putting an end to the energy crisis of 24XX, meant to bring about equality; It was done way after the wars were over). Why would mandating the robots be killed stop humans, who are dependent on them, from attacking them, when this was not occurring at all in the first place, because things are generally harmonious? :p

There is a MAJOR problem with the plot point in 20XX, which does not exist in 26XX. It just doesn't fit, key people allowing it and being ok with it makes no sense whatsoever, and evidently the folks who know what they're doing felt the same way, *because they pretended it never happened by the next game*, due to the fact that it was present for no reason whatsoever in 9. (Whereas in the ZX series, it is a permanent matter - and even then, not applicable to everyone.)

Sounds like the episode of Red Dwarf where Kryten's replacement Hudson 10 arrives. If a robot doesn't terminate itself when it's contract expires, the replacement is authorised to terminate it.

Final Fantasy 8. Hands down.
For a series which revolves quite heavily around its storyline (unlike e.g. most fighters), Final Fantasy 8 does indeed stand out as having one of the worst stories ever delivered by an RPG.

You know you don't have to move EVERYTHING video game related to "Other Consoles", right? :p

I always envisioned other consoles as actually talking about other consoles, not just general discussion about video games.

Sounds like the episode of Red Dwarf where Kryten's replacement Hudson 10 arrives. If a robot doesn't terminate itself when it's contract expires, the replacement is authorised to terminate it.
Exactly! And in the Classic series (which, as we all know, is set in 20XX), that's out-of-place, because *very few* robots in that time are human-like enough to cause the widespread political turmoil that's present by the Zero series (set in 24XX) as a result of that particular issue. :p

The difference between Mega Man 9's stupid, nonsensical story and the ZX series' status-quo in 26XX (which applies to almost everybody, except for the Sage Trinity, and poor old Prometheus and Pandora), is that in Mega Man 9, robots were being assigned a random date and told to show up so that the authorities could kill them and chuck them on the scrap-heap (and, moreover, it only applied to some robots, not all, which caused it to make *even less* sense than it all already did), whilst in the ZX series, humans are given machine bodies for longer lifespans, and Reploids are given limited lifespans so that they will die as humans also do (and so that they won't be left behind for centuries after those they knew and loved are gone, which by my understanding is one of the main reasons for it, since for centuries prior to that, robots and Reploids were effectively immortal).

I was playing the story mode on soul calibur 5 and I just couldn't get over how bad the story was. Now I know it is a fighting game so it is not a huge part of it but I swear they didn't even proof read it. SPOLER ALERT (Although there isn't much to spoil to be honest)

So it starts off you play as Patroklos who is searching for his sister who was kidnapped by some people that are malfested(some sort of demon thing i think) and following the bidding of some lord. Turns out that lord is really Nightmare (The big evil guy with the big evil sword) and has been sending Payroklos off killing innocent people rather than helping him find his sister and killing malfested. However the people fighting Nightmare expose him for the evil he is and gives you a sword which will help Payroklos defeat him.

After a short search Payroklos finds his sister and she is being manipulated by Tira (some evil malfested chick) and once you defeat her Payroklos and his sister are reunited and are heading back home. Anyway it turns out his sister is malfested so Payroklos runs away like a little bitch and his sister decides everyone abandoned her so she will become the most evil person on the planet.

To save his sister Patrokolos must combine 3 enchanting things one of which being the sword Payroklos posseses. Well luckily for him the two people who have the other 2 enchanted things are talking to eachother so he fights them and they agree to help do whatever combining the three things does.

So now with the enchanted sword Payroklos goes after his sister. The sword which shows up as the image of their mother tells Payroklos to kill his sister. So he fights his sister and kills her. Patrokolos regrets killing his sister and seems to be stranded on some kind of soul plane. Some old guy comes up and talks about his "will" or something then BAM Payroklos can time travel. He goes back in the past to save his sister. (I am so lost right now)

So Petrokolos goes after his sister again meanwhile one of the guys who gave him the sword kills Nightmare. He battles with his sister and this time decides not to kill her. So his sword isn't happy so he battles it which then encases him in crystal. His sister realising the error of her ways using the evil sword, then uses the evil sword to break her brother out of the crystal. They then together destroy the good sword (I think both swords were destroyed but I am not sure how)

They go off and live happily ever after.

That is the story summed up, it is an absolute mess and the only good thing about it was how easy it is to ridicule.

Now does anyone else know of any games with horrible stories/plots?
Have you played any of the older soul calibur games? It's kind of expected IMO.. I like Soul Calibur as a fighting game, not for it's in depth story..

Gears of war 3.Nothing really happens and no matter what you do you will never get the central beefcakes to convincingly elicit emotion.

Halo 2? Does anyone know what the story was there.I was lost even before master chief encountered the Giant talking plant.WTF.

Have you played any of the older soul calibur games? It's kind of expected IMO.. I like Soul Calibur as a fighting game, not for it's in depth story..

Yes I have actually, played every soul calibur game. nothing has been as terrible as this. They should have just stuck with an intro storyboard for each character and ending storyboard. Instead they went with a batshit crazy plot that just didn't make a lick of sense.

Yes I have actually, played every soul calibur game. nothing has been as terrible as this. They should have just stuck with an intro storyboard for each character and ending storyboard. Instead they went with a batshit crazy plot that just didn't make a lick of sense.
I suppose your right, I guess no real story in the first several games is better than crazy plot story.

Let me sum up Soul Calibre 1-3.

"I'm off to find the awesome sword to claim/destroy it"

*fight* *fight* *fight*

"Gasp! My sister/friend/rival! You are also after the sword? I can't let you do that!" *fight*

"Double gasp! The current owner of the sword is powerful!" *fight*

"Triple gasp! The sword itself is fighting back!" *fight*

"Yay, now I will become ruler/saviour of the land."

"A tale of swords and souls eternally retold"

It gets worse each time they tell it, just because they try. Why can't they just abandon the story and all that pimp-my-fighter bullshit and just focus on providing a good fighter instead.

"A tale of swords and souls eternally retold"

It gets worse each time they tell it, just because they try. Why can't they just abandon the story and all that pimp-my-fighter bullshit and just focus on providing a good fighter instead.

The game has gone downhill since 3 as well. Whenever a new one is released my friends and I always get together and have a soul calibur night. We always wind up playing 2 again because of the Team VS battle mode and it is the most polished of the whole series.

Back