Wandor (working title)

Yupp, very nice Graphic Style. :)
Because Wandor is a Pirate, I hope for many Port and Ship-Levels, or an huge Bar-Level with a nice Pirate fight including flying chairs and tables. :lol:

Thanks for all the kind words, you guys make my day :D

Nick May said:
Hey just to let you know, I have finished uni for the summer now (early I know!) So I will have time to write some music for this if you like (I'm the guy composing the Panjoust music).
I have a few projects on the go at the moment, but I can write quite quickly, and I love writing game music.

You can check out my website to hear some stuff... www.may88.co.uk but there isn't any game music on there, probably best to check out the panjoust stuff for an idea. But I can compose in a variety of styles.

Cheers,
Nick.
Thanks for the offer, I really like the tracks you made for PanJoust.
Could you try to compose some sort of title music for the game?
Sadly I do not have any more details or ideas in mind for you, but I am trying to get up to date with my dev-documents about the level structure and planned chapters, which I could send to you after I am finished. Maybe you can get some pointers from that.

foxblock out

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the projects I'm looking forward to :)

Hopefuly this will turn into a quality game, possibly a series of games. The artwork is incredible and the logic / physics aspects are not too complex and looked fine, even in the old videos.
Unlike some other games I have the feeling that this will actually be finished and look good at the same time. Something which seldomly happens in the homebrew scene.

//Edit: Sorry for going slightly offtopic, but I fired up blender yesterday night and made the fish boss as 3D mesh - it's still WIP tho:
[Page stretch ahead..]
1274090937-1.jpg

1274103335-1.jpg
I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but maybe I'll develop some animation loader around it and let it walk around :)

I'm glad all you guys like this so much! It's a shame I haven't been able to do anything for the project in a long time... Actually, I should be able to do some things, I'm into Pixelart again at the moment (working on a game for school with pixelart graphics) so I could do some small sprites, anything I can do, Foxblock?

@Dragons_slayer
Great.
There's still a lot of work to do.
We could use some more enemys ( like bats and fishes ).
Alternatively you could help miles on the level-tiles.

I'm looking forward to see some new sprites from you :)

@JayFoxRox
hehe, cool :). I actually also planned to model and animate the mech. Helps a lot to have a 3D model as reference while animating.

foxblock said:
Ok, first of all I am sorry to say that all-piano music is not what I am looking for - the Town.mp3 could be the general direction (some guitar, some drums, maybe some piano, some synthesizer).

I like the song you composed, but I don't see it fitting as a theme song, it's too fast at times and too slow at other times.
Some parts of it (like the intro) could make a good boss-fight music and I see the slower parts (e.g. around 1:30) playing at the GameOver screen.

I really appreciate your efforts and thank you for it, but sadly it's not what I am looking for.

foxblock out
Thanks anyway, perhaps you could have somebody else (good with MIDI composing!) put something together around the parts you like?

Ok I can't find the post since I read the thread on my phone... but someone mentioned something about using a game controller?
Penjin will let you do this but you currently have to configure a script to map the buttons.
Maybe it's time for me to write a little module or app that let's you map the buttons in a visual way and save the script.

Mithrildor said:
joshwaan2k said:
Love the work so far looks great.

Also I love the town music for this game :)

Wut what music? Link please

foxblock said:
Thanks for the effort so far, but sadly the video has not been processed yet so I can't give you a review on it (and I am going to bed, but wanted to post some more infos beforehand).

Here are the two tracks HomoChristo composed for us (for town levels), which I like very much. It does not have to be exactly in this style, but it might give you a general direction:
http://w-engine.goog.../music/Town.mp3
http://virb.com/homochristo (the last song "Gametune town"

foxblock out

Thanks for all the kind comments, I am glad you guys like it.

About the music:
I am glad and on the other hand sorry you like the track I posted so much as it is probably not making into the game. I am going to explain why:

A long time ago (last year) I asked HomoChristo whether he would like to compose the music for the game and said yes. Shortly after that he created the two tracks I linked here.
Now, after several months I tried to contact him again to ask whether he was still up for it, but I have not heard a word from him in the past months so I opened up the position.
I posted the tracks to show the general direction we are trying to go, for applying artists to have some sort of reference.
Nick May then opted to compose some tracks and now we already have a title track and one for the first level which sound awesome! (I probably have to make a video including them soon-ish ;) )
Sadly his and HomoChristo's style don't mix very well so we probably won't be able to include both. This is why we are going with Nick May (for obvious reasons) and scrap the "Town" track.

But to not let HomoChristo's efforts go to waste I hereby release his track for the public and invite you to download and use it in and for whatever you want! I am pretty sure he would be glad to hear his track playing in any game.
You can download it here:
http://code.google.com/p/w-engine/downloads/detail?name=Town.mp3

foxblock out

I am flattered you are showing so much interest in this project and revived this thread for the second time - thanks for that, really raises the motivation to work :)

Sadly, I have to say that things are going very slowly at the moment as the whole team is occupied with "real world stuff" - I for example have a crazy exam in two weeks and our graphics artists are doing extra shifts (even on weekends!) at their work.
This is a problem, as currently the biggest limiting factor is the lack of tilemaps to build levels, but I am hesitating to call out for another artist as this most likely will create a conflict in style.
Of course this does not imply that the engine is already finished, but the framework is (like loading levels, units, collision, etc.), we are still working on the details (which takes the most time).

After the mentioned exam I will have some more time to work on it, might try to push it forward with some temporary developer tilemaps, but until then I have nothing new to show you :(
We already have the confirmation that it runs on actual hardware and additionally are also working on a lot on the flexibility and extendibility of the engine, so you will be able to create own levels and also whole campaigns when the game is released.

Again, thanks for showing interest (it is greatly appreciated!), also after this being over one year in development (I missed the "anniversary" on 13th of July, damn...).

foxblock out

Back