Update SuperZaxxon v1.75

I recommend to at least update the bootloader to gain the booting/flashing ability from the right slot, so in case the left one ever breaks, you can use the right one. If you don't want to wipe the NAND you can just prepare the reflash card as usual, but delete rootfs.* files and then it will just flash the bootloader and keep the NAND. If you do so, run the OS update first to get all the kernel modules.
or it will fail to boot afterwards and need a full reflash.

:oops:

Shouldn't do - I'd guess by now a good few people have done the OS update and none have reported errors. The OS update should update the kernel and its modules in lock-step to keep everything ticktey-boo.

@notaz : sorry to bother you, but I do have an issue. When closing the lid, I have set my Pandora to just turn off the screen. Now with 1.75 (upgrade with OS upgrade, not flashing), I get a garbled screen (see attached screenshot). To go back to normal, I need to launch certain game that will, at exit, make the screen normal (like EasyRPGPlayer, the game launch garbled too, but everything goes back to normal once I exit). Maybe it's a left over of some previous experiment I have done (to have 32bits GLES output for example), but I don't want to flash.. Do you have so hint on where I should look?

Attachments

• garbled_screenshot.JPG
    garbled_screenshot.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 579
or it will fail to boot afterwards and need a full reflash.

:oops:
Should actually still boot but with missing drivers (no wifi, touchscreen, PNDs, etc), from which it's possible to recover by downloading http://www.openpandora.org/feeds/un...a-kernel2_3.2-pandora-r33.5_omap3-pandora.ipk and doing "opkg install" on it.

Do you have so hint on where I should look?
Hmm haven't seen that so not really. Maybe your /etc/pandora/conf/dssgamma.state or /etc/pandora/conf/gamma.state is messed up? Or maybe bad timings in /usr/pandora/scripts/op_lcdrate.sh? You can get the roofs from http://openpandora.org/firmware/images to compare.

@notaz : sorry to bother you, but I do have an issue. When closing the lid, I have set my Pandora to just turn off the screen. Now with 1.75 (upgrade with OS upgrade, not flashing), I get a garbled screen (see attached screenshot).

Had this happen to me today, cannot reproduce but next time it happens I'll take care to remember circumstances to be more help.

@notaz : sorry to bother you, but I do have an issue. When closing the lid, I have set my Pandora to just turn off the screen. Now with 1.75 (upgrade with OS upgrade, not flashing), I get a garbled screen (see attached screenshot). To go back to normal, I need to launch certain game that will, at exit, make the screen normal (like EasyRPGPlayer, the game launch garbled too, but everything goes back to normal once I exit). Maybe it's a left over of some previous experiment I have done (to have 32bits GLES output for example), but I don't want to flash.. Do you have so hint on where I should look?
Saved. My favorite wallpaper!

PCSX ReARMed (with Aludra) can trigger that reliable. Just close the lid ingame, open it and the colors are fascinating off. Screen reset is thankfully easy too, just open and then exit the menu.

PCSX ReARMed (with Aludra) can trigger that reliable. Just close the lid ingame, open it and the colors are fascinating off. Screen reset is thankfully easy too, just open and then exit the menu.
Thanks to this easy reproducer I've found the bug - the new power saving thing (off mode) was losing the gamma table. This is perfectly normal as the off mode loses all the state, and the driver already handles it properly by restoring all the registers, but for gamma table it's a bit different, you have to ask the hardware to fetch it from RAM, and this is what the driver was missing. I've pushed a kernel update for this, not sure if I should rebuild the image again, maybe I'll wait again for something else to pop up...

@notaz, there is something else strange.
When I do
Code:
l /usr/share/X11/xkb/

I get
Code:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  1472 Oct 17  2012 compat
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  1003 Jun 27  2010 compat.dir
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   160 Jul 25 21:14 compiled
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  1624 Oct 17  2012 geometry
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  3469 Jun 27  2010 geometry.dir
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  1144 Oct 17  2012 keycodes
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  3142 Jun 27  2010 keycodes.dir
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root   832 Oct 17  2012 keymap
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 15034 Jun 27  2010 keymap.dir
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   832 Oct 17  2012 rules
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   424 Oct 17  2012 semantics
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   134 Jun 27  2010 semantics.dir
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root  7160 Oct 17  2012 symbols
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 28821 Jun 27  2010 symbols.dir
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   944 Oct 17  2012 types
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   624 Jun 27  2010 types.dir
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    84 Oct 17  2012 xkbcomp -> /srv/www/vhosts/notaz.gp2x.de/oe/tmp/angstrom.5/staging/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/xkbcomp

And I have trouble with xkb (but maybe it's my build...)

*EDIT Otter, that also use xkb, works fine, so it's probably a false alarm, sorry.

I have a very strange issue. ..

I updatet some pnds via pnd manager. Codeblocks stopped. I rebooted and had to do a hard reset. Afterwards the pnds on my non os card werent properly mounted until another reboot.

Then while trying a pnd it said you have old firmware. So i stopped downloading codeblocks which got another try and ran os upgrade. Formerly 1.74

After it tried to reboot i had to do another hard reset. Then again a reboot because some pnds where again shown in a wrong category.

Since then... touchscreen is not working. And EVERY pnd wont start. Giving me a message to look at the .out.

Mount sqashfs failed...

Unknown file system.

Union file system is not mounted...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh boy... dont do upgrade when you are tired.

I have a multipartition sd.... it copied the new kernel on the root partition... took it from there to the boot partition... bingo..

This time i made the os card manually by copying the nand system on the card. I had trouble using the sd card installer back with 1.6x. The os on nand was 1.74. It was the first upgrade sonce then. With all cards made with the gui installer it was no issue.

So how can i prevent it from happening again? Does the gui installer set the autoboot.txt to use the kernel from rootfs? Do i have to cop the kernel manually every time?

Last edited:
Any reason to suffer with the OS on SD card? Setups like that are never tested, so you are on your own when using them. If I were you I'd just reflash the NAND to latest and live happily ever after. If you are concerned about NAND wear, the driver has good wear leveling, and there have been no reports of dead NAND for years...

I have it since i bought my pandy because of the recommendation in the wiki. Also the pandy is my way to learn about linux so i had to reinstall a few times and also have a swap partition on this card. The only other problem taht i had ever since is keepnote not working since upgrade to python 2.7. But have it working on pandebian wich is on the same sd. Its kind of better save then sorry. But if theres no better way, i have to keep my eyes open on the next update and copy the kernel from the beginning

Gesendet von meinem SM-N7505 mit Tapatalk

I also used to run the OS from a SD card, partly because of the recommendation on the wiki, partly because it gave me the opportunity to learn about uboot, and party because I was paranoid about wearing out the NAND flash. IIRC I switched to reimaging the NAND for 1.73, seeing that as the last mile in OS upgrades, and I'd already learned all I could from the exercise about uboot (not very much in practice).

I also once had the problem of mismatching kernel modules and kernel version breaking squashfs, so I suspected that might have been the problem, just didn't get here in time ;)

1.71 -> 1.75 using built-in "Upgrade Pandora OS" caused issues with it. It crashed after running Super Geometry Dust (with the last frame of the game being displayed in the system menu), eventually it would just lockup system. Then: rebooted, and it wouldn't get past 95% progress on bootup. Simply direct-flashed from SD card after that and it works perfectly now with no strange anomalies.

"Create Pandora SD Card" issues: Improper partition alignment and 50% disk full even though there's nothing installed (tested with 4GB and 128GB cards)
-- also if I pop the cards in another computer those computers only see half of the SD cards capacity.. Used GParted to fix. It doesn't matter what FS is selected to format, same results.

____

Update:

Reboot system, running fine.
The problem is the same with any games run, Super Geometry Dust, Super Jump, etc.
Run game once, on exit the desktop seems to glitch out a bit.
Run a game like Super Geometry Dust again, hangs on intro and have to kill it (audio plays, no menu). It has frozen completely once and had to hard reboot. A game like Super Jump doesn't crash (guess it's less demanding) but what is commonly recurring with any of these games is that the system will randomly spike to 100% usage on exit (if able to recover to desktop), and every 1-2 seconds the system is able to move the mouse cursor.

No swap, no OC (default 1Ghz/flash), tried using different SD cards, same result.Updated to Update2 through updater.

____

Suspend on Lid close doesn't work for some odd reason.
____
Update update: Retested with 1.71 since it was last working
Lid is functioning on this version, so 1.75 isn't working for lid-close standby

Games also crash in the same manner on 1.71 so not certain what's actually going on there. Not a big deal really, just odd and inconvenient that one has to reboot when they're done playing some games - think some of these need to be updated - OS updates are bringing out the bugs in older apps.
____

Game crashes might not be OS specific, but these select few games cause a complete system crash when they do.

Last edited:
Back