SuperZaxxon v1.55 released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a while since we released v1.54.

Since then a few fixes and updates have happened.

You can either apply them using the "Upgrade OS"-Function of SuperZaxxon, or you can get a full flash image now.

Fixes since v1.54:

• UPDATE: Kernel updated to 3.2.45
  • UPDATE: Updated TV-Out Config File with a lot more presets
  • UPDATE: CPU Speed system: Scripts now recognize what type of unit the user has (Classic, Rebirth or 1GHz) and offer CPU Speed profiles accordingly. "Unclean Shutdown"-Requester will also use 1000MHz as 1GHz default speed
  • FIX: wifi driver tweaked, helps some unit/router combinations, but does not help others
  • FIX: Backported several ARM fixes from newer kernels, which includes fix needed by arm-wine
  • FIX: First Boot Wizard: Moved the screen calibration to the beginning of the process
  • FIX: pnd_make.sh: use root uid/gid for squashfs, not user's. This enables write-support in the root-directory of mounted PNDs
  • NEW: Added ath9k driver and hfsplus filesystem modules
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.54):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version.

Please note:

User-Modified configs will not not be overwritten with the new version (i.e. the new TV Out config file)

Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.

It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.55

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.55 without internal Wifi drivers

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

Please let us know any issues you encounter.

Cool to see the tv out updates. Hoping that means soon we can order cables!

I think that when shutting down, it should say "Shutting Down" instead of "Booting Kernel 3.2".

Last edited by a moderator:
NEW: Added ath9k driver and hfsplus filesystem modules

What is this for? I'm not familiar with these drivers. I understand ath9k is a wireless driver but is it used by the wifi chip ? Do you have the choice to activate it ?
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k:

ath9k is a completely FOSS wireless driver for all Atheros IEEE 802.11n PCI/PCI-Express and AHB WLAN based chipsets.
That, I could figure as much, but how is it used on the Pandora with this new firmware? Is it used by default or is the other driver used by default ? 

UPDATE: CPU Speed system: Scripts now recognize what type of unit the user has (Classic, Rebirth or 1GHz) and offer CPU Speed profiles accordingly. "Unclean Shutdown"-Requester will also use 1000MHz as 1GHz default speed
By the way, you guys talked about including "Pandora Model CHeck" into the firmware (since it's super small) as far as I know, is it now integrated somewhere for the user to run and check their model ?  

FIX: Backported several ARM fixes from newer kernels, which includes fix needed by arm-wine
This mentions arm-wine -> does this mean we will now be able to run wine on ARM sometimes soon ? Or is that just a first step among several others required ? 

ath9k is a completely FOSS wireless driver for all Atheros IEEE 802.11n PCI/PCI-Express and AHB WLAN based chipsets.

That, I could figure as much, but how is it used on the Pandora with this new firmware? Is it used by default or is the other driver used by default ?
There are USB wifi dongles with this chip. To quote Linux_SWAT:

"now de-facto (almost all shops in Paris sell that kind of model: TP-Link TL-WN721N) big size usb dongle"

UPDATE: CPU Speed system: Scripts now recognize what type of unit the user has (Classic, Rebirth or 1GHz) and offer CPU Speed profiles accordingly. "Unclean Shutdown"-Requester will also use 1000MHz as 1GHz default speed
By the way, you guys talked about including "Pandora Model CHeck" into the firmware (since it's super small) as far as I know, is it now integrated somewhere for the user to run and check their model ?
The last version I checked used unreliable methods, so unless you improved that, no.

FIX: Backported several ARM fixes from newer kernels, which includes fix needed by arm-wine
This mentions arm-wine -> does this mean we will now be able to run wine on ARM sometimes soon ? Or is that just a first step among several others required ?
ARM version of wine is reported to be able to run a few windows-rt/arm apps.

Well, /tmp/pnd_version should tell you what Pandora version you have... unless the user deletes that.

Is there also an Update-PND available? I don't want to do a full reflash and my WiFi is slow, so downloading over the oinline update may not be the best on my Pandora ^^""

Is there also an Update-PND available? I don't want to do a full reflash and my WiFi is slow, so downloading over the oinline update may not be the best on my Pandora ^^""
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.54):

Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS"-Version.
EDIT : no mention of separate PND, but the update is small, it should be fast even on slow connection

• FIX: pnd_make.sh: use root uid/gid for squashfs, not user's. This enables write-support in the root-directory of mounted PNDs
Just wondering if that's a security risk? or are we working on the assumption a bad PND could easily brick the OS anyway.. and reflashing is easy enough?

The root directory talked about here is the app's directory in appdata, like /media/sdcard/pandora/appdata/vvvvvv/ . appdata was always world witeable, but the .pnd itself was unable to write to it if file with the same name existed in .pnd itself.

Back