SuperZaxxon v1.55 released!

Ah, then I'll try this. I first thought the online update is similar big like the standalone image. ^^""

Not at all, the upgrader only download and install updated/new packages ^^

Don't tell me, Pandora's OS becomming smart at the end... :D
Ummm... that worked for about half a year or more already...

FIX: pnd_make.sh: use root uid/gid for squashfs, not user's. This enables write-support in the root-directory of mounted PNDs
this sound like something I ran into ... can somebody explain what the old behaviour was and what has changed... :unsure:

Ah, then I'll try this. I first thought the online update is similar big like the standalone image. ^^""

Not at all, the upgrader only download and install updated/new packages ^^

Don't tell me, Pandora's OS becomming smart at the end... :D
Ummm... that worked for about half a year or more already...
Well, I've never tried this method before, the last update (about half a year ago) was a complete reflash. ;)

Online Firmware update went well by the way. Nothing wrong, just an little issue maybe, not sure if directly firmware releated but since the last bigger firmwares, my Audio players don't play any files with special characters in it. I didn't change the players, only the firmware, so I guess it could be an OS issue. Loading music into the player over the filebrowser also don't show characters like Ö Ä Ü... The only player that still plays these files is Deadbeef, Audacious and GMU skip these Files. GMU doesn't even show them (only the first character) and Audacious displays the files correctly but dones not play them at all.

So I would like to ask is there an OS option to enable alternative character encoding schemes or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I formatted my two main SD cards to non-journaled HFS+

Works perfectly.

One question to notaz and ED : when will we get updated key component libraries in the firmware ? Like python 3 (on top of Python 2.7, we need both), gtk3 and so on ? I understand there may be space issues but then how to you plan to tackle this in the near future? Lots of software cannot be easily ported anymore because of these constraints in the existing firmware.

"when it's done"?

I personally don't have any time for this work, I really doubt ED has either.

aTc was making some progress on this, but I don't know what's the current status.

Note that updating will inevitably break some things that currently work fine, so it's double edged sword..

There could be a compatibility pnd that has the older versions if some legacy programs need them in .next.

aTc was making some progress on this, but I don't know what's the current status.

Note that updating will inevitably break some things that currently work fine, so it's double edged sword..
I realize that it will break stuff but at some point we will have to do it when most libraries become obsolete and it becomes more work to port a single program than to update the firmware.

There could be a compatibility pnd that has the older versions if some legacy programs need them in .next.
Very good idea. It could image all the libraries of the present firmware and that would only take a few hundred megs on the sd card.

To all the Devs:

I found maybe little Way to save little more Energy while "Standby"

In Videorecording tried i to activate Standby while recording to see what happen.

The TV Out Stays on,

The Nubs are working,

The Keyboard is working.

Can we one or two of that Things shut off for Standby?

Just a Idea for more Powersaving :)

Does the ath9k driver support ath9k_htc or is that still separate (haven't looked at the linux wireless site for a bit)?

Edit: Seems not.

Ah little Correcture to my Post,i tried it again and the TV Out is off.

Then wondered i why that?

And i found out when the Power Supply is plugged in and i shut the Pandora in Standby for faster charging,

and these stayed on:

the TV OUT,

the Touchscreen,(Display is off but Touchscreen recognize me)

the Keyboard,

the Nubs,

the USB OTG,(because my Mouse work in that powered Standby)

the SD System (i started a PND from SD while this powered Standby)

The current Speed is set to 125MHZ while this.

My Question,when we can shut of most of these Things while charging,

then can we maybe the Pandora Charge Double so fast?

It makes sense not to disable the keyboard because you can press the keyboard to wake the Pandora up from sleep.

SD should not be off either because some applications can still run while the Pandora is in sleep mode.

touchscreen, tv out, nubs, they could be disabled potentially. Unless I miss something?

I don't think your Pandora would charge much faster. Most of these elements don't consume much, I believe.

the TV Out is quite a power hog when active but if I have the Pandora with the lid closed and hooked up the TV I don't want it to disable TV Out or mess with the clockrate as I'm using the Pandora as a console in this instance (QEMU with Dungeon Keeper FYI runs just playable nice with bluetooth mouse) and only shutting the lid to conserve power being sapped by the Pandora screen.

We need to be very careful what is disabled it which power state or it makes the Pandora useles in some use-cases. although if you are talking about the sleep switch then ignore what I said...

EDIT: Hmmm just tried a GBC emulator with lid shut and it goes very slow seems it is downclocking...

Where is the option to disable the Pandora LCD (backlight) while the TV out is active? I mean with open lid when you use the Pandora as controller and the TV a screen. Havn't found yet, I really hope there is one, the LCD is a big power sucker, I guess there can be saved alot of battery, if you can optional disable the LCD. THe only situation I can imagine where you need both screens is DS emulation.

So I was fiddling with OpenXCOM's visual effects, and it kept locking up the OXC window, and I didn't have another device to SSH on to kill it, so I had to do a full reboot using the PND key + power switch.

When it comes back on, it gives me a dialogue about overclocking and that the CPU should be set to 800MHz default on the safe side.

However, my two buttons are "No, Leave me safe", and "Yes, Set to 800MHz"... Both descriptions lead me to think it's going to set to 800MHz whichever one I click.

It's not a big deal, but it is a little confusing IMO

FIX: pnd_make.sh: use root uid/gid for squashfs, not user's. This enables write-support in the root-directory of mounted PNDs
 this sound like something I ran into ... can somebody explain what the old behaviour was and what has changed... :unsure:
I'm thinking this might have some bearing on someting that I've run into too-

I used the last version of the SD Installer pnd with the latest pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 file to create my usual OS card (knowing that I still had to change a few things manually, which I did).

Booting for the first time with the card, as it has before in 1.52, the initial screen calibration during setup failed (it prompts, but just immediately skips the process and asks Finished/Retry?). Then when I try to run the screen calibration once it's fully booted, it fails (see spoiler).

All pnds fail, for the same squashfs reason.

But if I boot with the old kernel, everything works...

(I did try replacing the new kernel, no change)

I'm guessing this is another change the SD installer hasn't been set up to deal with and I need to move things about?

=======================================================================================

PND : /usr/pandora/apps/op_calibrate.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : //pandora/appdata/op_calibrate

APPDD_FSTYPE : rootfs ext3

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : op_calibrate.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/op_calibrate"

mount: unknown filesystem type 'squashfs'

WARNING : mount faild, re-tring

mount: unknown filesystem type 'squashfs'

ERROR The PND File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b303]:110558 (/usr/pandora/apps/op_calibrate.pnd)

Are mounted on :

For these Union :

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !

+++++++

Loopback devices :

/dev/loop0: [b303]:110558 (/usr/pandora/apps/op_calibrate.pnd)

Are mounted on :

For these Union :

[ FAILED]--- Mount the PND ----------

Return code is : 6

Back