Release SuperTuxKart - needs TLC

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
I did a quick port of supertuxkart using the cloudef version of Irrlicht I was using for Minetest. It has lots of freezing/glitches along with other major issues. There aren't any errors that get listed in the log and most of what I've gotten from gdb seems unhelpful. I'm putting up the PND here in hopes someone who might know how to coax the game to give information on what needs fixing can do so.

The game doesn't start on execution, but launches a terminal. You can start the game with "./game/supertuxkart" or whatever you need to debug.

http://cloud.eyecreate.org/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=a610bc479f6bc8a3f8e56ee78faf79140bcccc0d

@sebt3: since you've tried porting this before, anything you think I may need to know?

@sebt3: since you've tried porting this before, anything you think I may need to know?
my port was running to the memory limit of the pandora. May be start by checking that :)

Otherwise I did no magic there.

Is it faster than my port (PND avail on my website) ? If so, we might want to contact the dev team ;)

my port was running to the memory limit of the pandora. May be start by checking that :)

Otherwise I did no magic there.

Is it faster than my port (PND avail on my website) ? If so, we might want to contact the dev team ;)
Actually, I get segfaults when running the pnd in your sig, so I can't really compare. (I made sure to clean the appdata folder out between runs.)

All I did was add a missing include in one class, add opengles as the default render option, change defaults to 800x480, and comment out GL specific code used to add effect to screen when lightning strikes.

And yes, after running top on the side, it seems most the time when it crashes, it has run out of memory. I guess that means there'd need to be a bit of optimizing for it to run like expected.

Great, saves me to actually port this.

Anyways, STK uses pretty damn big textures and other images. You can go nuts and scale them down a lot for example. Then it uses some other quite RAM hungry libraries, but I suggest starting with optimizing the data files. Also the game models are quite high poly.

The Irrlicht build still has some graphical issues and what not, but I'm unable to do anything without actual Pandora. Same goes for Ogre.

What sebt3 once told me, his build was a slideshow speed wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i used to be one of the stk maintainers, but don't have enough time any more. maybe i can get some super-low-poly karts and tracks together for basic performance testing.

talked about a potential port with the other devs quite often. for example, the menu was created with pandora's resolution in mind. basic opinion is that data like models and textures probably is a problem but not the only one ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i used to be one of the stk maintainers, but don't have enough time any more. maybe i can get some super-low-poly karts and tracks together for basic performance testing.

talked about a potential port with the other devs quite often. for example, the menu was created with pandora's resolution in mind. basic opinion is that data like models and textures probably is a problem but not the only one ^^

That sounds like a good place to start on optimizing. Would appreciate if you could get those resources.

Back