Release Super Geometry Dust

wermy

Hi everyone,
Here is the first release of the game I've been working on, called Super Geometry Dust! It's pretty bug-free, I think, but I'll be actively developing it and releasing updates for the foreseeable future (because it's a ton of fun to work on). :)
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=SuperGeometryDust-23703

If you find bugs, feel free to post them here. :)

Videos (which are a bit outdated - I'll make a new one) can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/skochw

EDIT: Someone has pointed out a bug where, the first time you run the game, it asks you to enter your name even if you didn't make a high score. A fix for this will be included in the next release. :)

EDIT2: More bugfixes listed here:
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3396-super-geometry-dust/page__view__findpost__p__59563
An update is coming soon.

Also, I've had a couple people contact me suggesting I add a donate button. I just made the game for fun, but wouldn't say no to a couple bucks here and there. :) I *think* this link should work, I've never tried this before:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=GGGA7YVRXLNCA

Hi wermy !

I've been playing a lot with your game since this morning !

It's a nice birthday present, as I'm 29 today :)

Bye and many thanks !

Magic Sam

This looks really good, can't wait to try it out!

Thanks for your hard work!

Edit - tried it, love it!

Proper old school, and harder than Nails McHard's harder brother. Have played both Geometry Wars on Wii, and Super Stardust on PS3 to death (hell, the original Stardust on A1200 as well!) and so far this is a great compliment to those.

Not noticed any bugs so far, except one game I randomly started with really powerful weapons (4 way spray) - don't worry I still died pretty quick to rectify that!

Good to see people coming up with quality stuff like this on the pandora. I was really beginning to feel that I had a very interesting white elephant.

Thanks again, wermy!

Great design!

I like this, was this your design or a port from something else?

Good work, thanks.

Thanks guys! Glad you're enjoying it! :)

DaveC: It's all original for the Pandora (not a port of something for another platform). The graphics are inspired by Geometry Wars, and the zipping-about-on-a-sphere is taken from Super Star Dust HD for the PS3. Loved both of those games. :)

I would SO love to see this ported to a standard Linux distro! :D I'd wear out the analog sticks on my Dual Action in days! :D

Hi :)

sabregolly said:
Have played both Geometry Wars on Wii, and Super Stardust on PS3 to death (hell, the original Stardust on A1200 as well!) and so far this is a great compliment to those.
This Stardust ? I'll try it ASAP on my Minimig ;)

EDIT: I've tried it ! Nice and difficult game, so hard to control your ship with a Competition Pro :p

btw, how is Geometry Wars on Wii, would you recommend it ?
Bye, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic Sam said:
Hi :)

sabregolly said:
Have played both Geometry Wars on Wii, and Super Stardust on PS3 to death (hell, the original Stardust on A1200 as well!) and so far this is a great compliment to those.
This Stardust ? I'll try it ASAP on my Minimig ;)

EDIT: I've tried it ! Nice and difficult game, so hard to control your ship with a Competition Pro :p

btw, how is Geometry Wars on Wii, would you recommend it ?
Bye, Magic Sam

Oh yes, the original Amiga Stardust, a classic! Wii Geometry wars is pretty good - fast, playable, tricky. You need to use the 'classic' controller of course, and, like all wii games, looks painfully low res on your telly compared to hd consoles. Been a good few years since I played it now, will need to fire it up again.

Not tried the X360 one, because that would involve buying a 360, and that would involve breaking my housewide 'No Microsoft Stuff' rule - although Geometry Wars (and Rez HD!) have always been there to tempt me to the dark side.

GunPei2X said:
What a great game, wermy. SGD is a real ripper! Thanks a lot!

+1

This is pure awesome. You need to port this to other platforms :)
-(e)

Um... what are the controls? ABXY buttons do nothing. Do you just have bombs, and that's it? It seems inevitable that you die pretty soon, since your ammo is so limited. And how do you get points?

It looks really neat in the video, but it is frustrating that I can't get it to work right.

P.S. I also think that the explosion sound effects are a bit too loud compared to the music.

P.P.S. I'm not sure if it's related to this at all, but the Pandora's wifi turned off while I was playing this game; I got some sort of error message that kept trying to pop-up in the background, but I never did get to see what it said because it disappeared when I tried to exit the game to see what it said.

Esn said:
Um... what are the controls? ABXY buttons do nothing. Do you just have bombs, and that's it? It seems inevitable that you die pretty soon, since your ammo is so limited. And how do you get points?

I also think that the explosion sound effects are a bit too loud compared to the music.

It looks really neat in the video, but this is frustrating.

You move with the left nub, and fire with the right. The next update (later today probably) will let you customize it.

About the wifi, a few people have complained about that - I really don't know what could cause it. It does it to me too, but then again, it seems to do it to me no matter what app I'm using every 5 minutes or so, so I'm still not sure that it's connected... :(

Oh, I see! I was moving with the d-pad, didn't even think of using the nubs. (to be honest, moving with the d-pad is really comfortable. Maybe an alternate choice could be using "A" to fire in whichever direction your ship is facing?)

Is there some kind of output file I could catch that might give a hint about what happened with wifi? The weird thing is that it didn't toggle the Pandora's wifi off, but seems to have disconnected me from my network. I checked on my main computer, and the internet still works, so there's no reason it should've done that...

I found this message from the other forums:
I had the same issue running this with wifi enabled, when it looks to input a highscore, it actually seems to be putting this information into the wlan key section instead (can see that you're inputting hidden characters into a window behind the game one).

But I never went into the highscore menu. What I DID do was try pressing various letters on the keyboard while in gameplay because I wasn't sure which buttons to press to get the ship to fire. I think THAT was the moment when the WIFI may have disconnected.

Maybe as a stopgap measure, disable the keyboard and choose your name in the highscore menu via selecting letters one-by-one on the screen?

New version available at the repo now :)

Bugfixes:
- The ability to pause when it says "game over!"
- Old lasers appearing when you start a new game
- Starting with the super laser when you lost your last life of a previous game while having it
- Sections of the interface showing up after exiting the game
- On the first run of the game, being asked to enter your name regardless of score

Other changes:
- New stationary asteroid-spitting enemy
- Camera-shake effect when asteroids impact the planet
- Nicer-looking starfield
- More robo-voice
- Various optimizations

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=SuperGeometryDust-23703

Back