Squidgesnes 0.39

Vollgasasi posted on Oct 25 2006 at 05:24 PM said:
well super mario kart runs fullspeed for me on the emulator so it should be your skill that makes you fail :p

and btw i just tried star ocean and star fox... they both work!!!

i actually flew around in star fox a bit but it gets messed up after playing for 15 seconds. but it works! even the sound but its slow!

and star ocean has a completely messed up menu and than seems to hang. but it also works! it loads the rom both times! its great to see this emu getting better and better!

what settings do you use to get it to run at full speed?

oh and about sucking at smk - the funny thing about mario kart is that EVERYONE thinks they're the best at it... I used to whip all my mates at it but after playing DS multiplayer against some japanese players I KNOW my place!! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody tell me what is the 'Audio Performance Hack' option for? I play Chrono Trigger using Squdgesnes 0.391 and the battle music seems to be incredibly fast. I have the mentioned option set to off.
Also, the music on the world map when you first travel back in time (I think that it's the place where the transparency is used according to the black stripes throughout the screen) is garbled.

MiL0 posted on Oct 25 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
Oh and about sucking at smk - the funny thing about mario kart is that EVERYONE thinks they're the best at it... I used to whip all my mates at it but after playing DS multiplayer against some japanese players I KNOW my place!! :blink:
I AM the best :p ok maybe not quite, but I do tend to win most races. :) (At most Mario Kart Games :p I only relaly suck at Super Circuit...)

in the nds version of mario kart its hard to tell whos the best driver because of the items. the items in mario kart games gained more and more importance with every sequel. the real skill mario kart game is the first one.

my settings are fs1 sound on medium quality at 270mhz. 25 fps with zero slowdown.

Vollgasasi posted on Oct 25 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
in the nds version of mario kart its hard to tell whos the best driver because of the items. the items in mario kart games gained more and more importance with every sequel. the real skill mario kart game is the first one.

my settings are fs1 sound on medium quality at 270mhz. 25 fps with zero slowdown.

Well said. It's still our tradition that every time my brother and I get together we play SNES Kart. Less weapons, and tighter and more intricate tracks. Way better IMO too.

notaz posted on Oct 25 2006 at 08:07 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 25 2006 at 04:42 AM said:
Raster interrupts. Those really tank the speed of the emu. It must be the way SNES9X handles them (NKs emu isn't effected as much?).
Thanks for the info. There is a similar case with FF6, if you completely disable all rendering it is still too slow.. I think it has something to do with HDMA there..

A real good test to the raster interrupt theory is James Pond Robocod. When you are outside with just the snow (no rasters) is is pretty smooth. As soon as you go in it tanks to like 4-5 FPS (200 MHz).

This game uses no transparencies, no Mode 7, only 1 level of parallax, no real AI. Really it does nothing fancy, other than the rasters in the background. It is basically a very simple scroller. It should be a very good test game if you are honing your raster rendering code. You can test the difference between raster/non-raster speeds on the fly in game by simply entering/leaving the level. Good luck.

xenonflash posted on Oct 26 2006 at 03:35 AM said:
How do you overclock with SquidgeSNES? :huh:

CPU speed is in the settings menu, as long as you use v0.38 or 0.39.

For SMK, try to anticipate the corners a bit earlier, position on the track is also important. Also multiple jumps while doing some corners also helps.

The better you get, the crazier it looks, you just got to get the hang of the grip on each different type of course to know when to power slide.

Not all courses need extreme jumping powerslides though!

Its a little bit like Sega Rally 2 cornering, make the kart go sideways! :p

this whole super mario kart talking makes me wanna play it over and over again lol... *takes out gp2x*

eh... antoher thing: i dunno if its just me but super mario kart doesn't save for me. every other game does. it doesn't save normally (the cups you've won i mean btw) and it doesn't accept save states. no special cup for me atm :) but it plays so well! >_< *plays smk now*

Finally tried this on normal settings on Super Metroid... first time I've felt like it's been playing totally full speed during the alarm sequence at 200MHz with sound on (ok, with FS1, but even still). Fantastic work, Notaz :). The question is whether transparencies are now worth looking at again. Would be great if they are :D

subcon959 posted on Oct 26 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
This has turned into the SMK thread.

BTW, Real men play F-Zero.

F-Zero rules. This is the snes game I'm playing more with this new version.
with 250 OC, sound 8000 (30fps) this game runs fantastic.

Goity posted on Oct 27 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
anyone else having problems with sound in ff6? It's all screwty sounding.

I really don't think the sound is fully emulated in Squidgesnes. I don't know if this is a good reference point, but the Konami jinggle is off. I've found several games with a few sound problems. Alfred Chicken is one and today as I was going through the mountain in Chrono Trigger, the one where you end up jumping into the water hole, the background music was just one long note like it was some sort of alarm. <_<

edit: typos

Is anyone else having problems with the seavestates? When i save and turn my gp2x off and on again the savestates don´t work anymore. Ami the only one or did i just miss something? :huh: :blink:

mtracy posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
Is anyone else having problems with the seavestates? When i save and turn my gp2x off and on again the savestates don´t work anymore. Ami the only one or did i just miss something? :huh: :blink:

The save state system in SquidgeSnes works fine for me (Menu -> Save State), but saving
game (concretely Chrono Trigger) via its integrated option was a pain for me. After saving, if I wanted the save to persist, I had to go Menu -> Reset Snes. If I had not done this, after rebooting the rom the save states were not there (keep in mind that I only tested this with 0.37a)

Back