Some more of my ideas

What I'd like to see is something that keeps the Device alive without battery for some seconds.

If I have to swap battery the Device should go into extreme low power mode for some seconds until I can put a new battery inside.
This isn't very realistic. What it needs is a reliable and reasonably fast suspend-to-storage mode.

I forgot to suggest to make the Pandora TV out cable (EXT PORT) compatible also for the Successor, I don't want to buy another cable again now that I FINALY recieved my Pandora TV out cable after a gazillion years. ^^
Keeping the ext port totally the same probably won't really make sense.. If there's analog video out maybe there could be a port that keeps it compatible. But there needs to be standard digital audio/video output, staying with S-Video/composite output isn't going to cut it for significantly higher resolution displays. But this would utilize a fairly cheap cable you can buy anywhere, assuming your TV supports it.

SlimPort would be pretty cool, although I'm having a hard time finding adapters under $20 and can't find direct SP to HDMI cables. I do like that you get both microUSB and DP out of it.

ED mentioned keeping the EXT connector on IRC as he mentioned having thousands of these connectors.. The Audio out and Line in still can be used, The yellow composite video out plug on the cable could be routed to SPDIF/digital out. The GPIO ports can still be available to the hardware hackers that make their own cables..

There isn't too much reason outside space why we couldn't have the EXT port in some fashion minus the video and HDMI.

Last edited by a moderator:
ED mentioned keeping the EXT connector on IRC as he mentioned having thousands of these connectors.. The Audio out and Line in still can be used, we can keep the GPIOs, The yellow composite video out plug on the cable could be routed to SPDIF/digital out.
Just to clarify, I meant keeping a compatible pinout. Keeping the connector itself makes sense.

OK, as long ass I can use a "normal" TV cable without special adapters to connect the Handheld to a TV, I'm fine with that. In fact, it would be the better solution if you just can use a common cable/adapter instead of a custom one that you have to wait for years. ^^

The most important thing for me is a better keyboard - I'd be willing to buy a Pandora successor just for that. I find the Pandora's rounded rubber keys painful for extended use. Flat chiclet style keys would probably be better, mini-laptop style flat keys like on the N900 or those wireless mini keyboards for tablets would be even better still. At the moment I'm afraid I'm leaning towards the Neo900 as my next opensource mobile device for that reason. I guess the problem might be the pressure on my fingertips, so flatter, larger keys for a larger contact area and less force required to move the keys would both be good. I don't care about LED backlighting, provided it's not too bright/obtrusive.

Another issue I haven't seen mentioned about the Pandora is the upside-down USB2 connector, which sounds like it should be a trivial matter but turns out to interfere with those 3g dongles with a swiveling antenna part (the swivelly bit can't turn down into the surface you're resting the pandora on). For other USB things you often end up not being able to see the status LED which is obviously less important but still suboptimal.

Sorry to seem full of gripes, I really hope the Pandora successor does well. It'd be great it it met my needs but even if not, it'll be good to see more Linux-friendly handhelds. Good luck, EvilDragon!

SlimPort would be nice because it gives you an extra USB port for free. Of course this is only an option if ED can also source suitable cables for it (say, to HDMI and to VGA), for a reasonable price, and sell those too in his shop (unless such cables have become very commonplace by the time the device gets released).

Contrary to what most others have said, keyboard backlighting is not a must for me. It's something I would probably not use. My laptop has it but I always switch it off. Then again, I rarely use my devices in the dark.

As for the case color: I don't really care about it, as long as the paint does not come off - I would prefer something that is colored in the mass of the material itself, not with an external layer of paint, so that even if it gets scratched, you don't see a color difference. As to the color, I prefer something non-flashy and subtle, like black or anthracite gray. No gloss, no bright colors. I want the screen bezel to be as little distracting as possible.

^ Agreed I could care less about back-lighting myself, if some money can be saved from not having it then I'd say we don't need it.

^Yeah it sucks power quite a bit.  What would be cool is if the paint of the letters on the keyboard glow in the dark and stays glowed with a little help from the light of the screen.  Right now I use the screen as the lighting source for the keyboard when typing in the dark. :)

Please, keep the DC jack.

Charging daily by plugging/unplugging a USB cable is not good, especially not if it's µUSB. Mainly because I'd want a pandora to last more than two years, which seems to be the average lifetime of µUSB connectors for the devices that I and my friends have used..

It would be nice if the video out could match the connected display 1:1 rather than how it is now and scaled up to fit.

I think the first posts by ED and Exophase capture the community consensus on the main design goals. Looking good!

Agree!

I would request that we keep the dedicated charging port.   I'd like to be able to charge my unit while using an OTG device.
Agree, too.

Also: Shut up and take my money! :D

^ Agreed I could care less about back-lighting myself, if some money can be saved from not having it then I'd say we don't need it.
I disagree. I reeeeeealy want backlight

Thats the main reason I dont use my Pandora. hard to see the keys when the lights are off (which for me is like always)

Tiny bolts with matching metal "nuts" that are firmly attached into the plastic. Instead of just screws directly screwed into plastic. If you know what I mean. And if not too expensive to add...

I do use my Pandora in the dark every now and then. But I know where the keys are, so I don't need a backlight. I only need to look at the keyboard for a few rarely used keys (like the backtick `).

Most important things to me (that others haven't said much about:

• The ability to charge without starting the main SOC
  • Avoid 'smart' chips that decalibrate themselves
  • Support for low-speed, full-speed, high-speed and (maybe) super-speed USB
I like

• better nubs
  • better speakers
  • better case
  • better wifi
  • better screen / cable
  • fullSD
  • backlighting
  • same battery
I don't like:

• loss of study power-connector
  • constructing the case by screwing into plastic - captive nuts would be better
  • use of weird proprietary ext connector
I suggest that there should be a 3.5mm line in, 3.5mm headset and a standard video+audio connector akin to HDMI

Also (and I think this could be very useful) can we have a DPDT switch connected to the headset jack so that you can use either standard headsets or non-standard-Apple-and-friends headsets?

Getting access to a modern SOC (multicore ARM, do doubt) sounds like very good news :)

What about RAM memory? ED didnt mention anything about upgrading it.  Is 1Gb the ideal amount for more demanding programs?  

What about RAM memory? ED didnt mention anything about upgrading it.  Is 1Gb the ideal amount for more demanding programs?
Good point. I think it's a given that it won't be 512MB. AFAIK, I've seen both 1GB and 2GB mentioned. General forum consensus seems to be around 2GB at a minimum, 4GB as a maybe. 8GB was considered by some (OMAP5 does support it) but it's pretty clearly overkill for a 32-bit device.

The decision is going to have to be carefully weighed against price, availability, and board considerations.

Back