Some more of my ideas

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since you know I'm actively working on the successor yet, I think I can share some of my ideas.

Basically, it's to keep what's good and fix what can be fixed :)

What's good:

Size: Similar. If we have to increase it, it will not be much (maybe 1 - 2 mm to one side)

Clamshell design: Of course!

Full sized SD Card slots: I would like to keep these as well.

USB Ports: Sure thing!

Gaming Controls: Ummm... :)

Replaceable battery: Yep. I want to keep the exact same battery for various reasons.:

• It will ensure that batteries for the Pandora will be available for a longer period of time.
  • We know it works properly (less risk)
  • Whoever owns the successor AND the Pandora can the batteries for both devices.
  • The battery compartment will be changed though, so that the battery will fit much better

What needs to be fixed:

Nubs: Completely new ones. We already have some samples that are working so much better (best nubs I've ever seen).

LCD-Cable: While the current ones are good, they still fail too often in my opinion. With MIPI displays, we don't need LCD Cables anymore.

Case: The case will be completely designed and produced by one company in Europe. This will ensure a higher quality.

What could be improved:

LCD: Better refresh rate, higher resolution (ideally 720p, but that's hard to get), size increased to 5"

Keyboard: Slightly improved layout, better feel, probably backlight

Wireless: Improved Wifi, but maybe also optional 3G/4G would be neat.

Speakers: We already have samples of much better speakers. :)

SoC: A more recent one, of course. And yes... we have the confirmation for one now, but I won't tell you :)

So, that's my basic idea - what do you think about that? :)

All very good, I think this list does a great job capturing what the community wants.

I'll throw in some other stuff that I think you've given some input on before, giving you the opportunity to give some input on again ;)

Volume control: Sticking with the analog pot is good, but at the very least I think the pot output should be wired to some ADC input somewhere (on the PMIC or SoC or microcontroller something, assuming there are ones), so the current value can be displayed. Possibly also go with a full software bypass, although this may need some low level microcontroller to deal with.

TV out: I think most of the community wants either HDMI or Display Port. I would consider the prerequisites here to be a complete digital video and audio out solution that can be cheaply (passively) converted to HDMI if not HDMI directly.

Hinge: Is there any update on the feasibility to have multiple steps?

Shoulder buttons: Are we looking at four this time, and any difference in the design? My original CC unit had fairly poor shoulders, but I think this was largely due to the painting/redrilling, because my 1GHz unit is much better. Still, maybe a little tweaking here could be useful, and if we're going to four buttons some re-thought will be necessary.

Touch screen: Sticking with resistive or going capacitive? Any investigation into multi-touch resistive solutions (very slim, I know)? Or capacitive + support for inductive pen ala Galaxy Note series? If we're mainly used as a Linux device I think that resistive is best (just make sure the sensitivity is good, it's a problem for some units out now),

Microphone: MWeston mentioned removing the microphone in his speculative plans. I know that anything he may have come up with isn't related to your plans, but I do want to stress, please keep a microphone if you can :p

Case: Can we get any more rounded edges? I'm a big fan of a little more rounding around the gaming control edges, I feel it improves ergonomics a lot. Pandora is still pretty good in this regard, though.

Internal storage: Is eMMC a given at this point? Any interest in multiple sizes?

Power port: Is it needed or is USB sufficient? I think USB is okay if and only if it can surely power it at full load (the standard 2.5W is almost certainly insufficient). I don't want a scenario where you can't use it in a demanding way for an indefinite period of time - my JXD S7300 suffers from this and it's really annoying. Granted, it actually has a power port, but the supplied charger is known to catch on fire so I haven't used it..

I'll leave off anything about a modular SoC/PMIC/etc daughter board since I'm pretty sure it won't happen, I've already made my arguments on what I feel are the strengths ;p

Any ideas on how optional 3G/4G/LTE/whatever would be implemented? You'd need a SIM slot I think.

What about OS, are we still going dual boot/support for Linux and Android as was voted in the last poll?

I believe this needs to be decided upfront , as it will impact the decision you make on what HW you put in it .  

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the Dpad!

+1 for Linux and Android

So can we get a 360 hinge? Id like a tablet mode since Android will come stock

And being that Android comes stock, Id like to have capacitive + pen digitizer. I think this will offer the best variety of input options to satisfy all

We already have some samples that are working so much better (best nubs I've ever seen)
Do these also have firmware with misguided attempts at self-calibration that we'll have no control over, or do they work properly?Also the power circuitry needs to be considered. Are you (and/or MWeston) already investigating this, or do you need some suggestions?

We already have some samples that are working so much better (best nubs I've ever seen)
Do these also have firmware with misguided attempts at self-calibration that we'll have no control over, or do they work properly?Also the power circuitry needs to be considered. Are you (and/or MWeston) already investigating this, or do you need some suggestions?
Good thinking. I second this question.

ED, I hope you can finalize the design of the successor soon enough to ensure there will not be too much gap between the time the 1Ghz Pandora runs out and the time the successor comes. 

Assuming you need probably 6 months to 1 year before you can roll out a successor after freezing the specs, it would be great if the last remaining details would be ironed out soon :)

By the way: 

I'm with Exophase on his questions, and I would certainly want to make sure HDMI or display port is planned. I assume that's the case, but well. A confirmation is always nice to have. 

How about USB Ports? A single one or maybe 2 ? 2 would be really, really great to avoid using a hub. 

What about vertically rotating screen?
What about 2 displays and an AMD x86 processor with Windows 8.1 preinstalled?
Lets keep thread thread serious and reasonable
What are you talking about?  I  am serious just as much as you are serious about your 360-degree hinge.  What make you think your 360-degree hinge is more reasonable than my vertically rotateable screen?  Also, you're the one that wants x86 and Windows on P2.  Now you wanna run and hide from that like a chicken?  :p

What are you talking about?  I  am serious just as much as you are serious about your 360-degree hinge.  What make you think your 360-degree hinge is more reasonable than my vertically rotateable screen?
Because nobody wants your rotating screen, it's a super niche use, while there's clear reasons why a 360 degree hinge could make sense (when using Android onlym for example). You already saw how people reacted when you started your thread on this idea. 

Would like the following improvements (some already mentioned....)

- Thinner overall thickness when Pandora is closed...feels a bit chunky thinkness-wise...

- Better keyboard keys...

- Somewhat larger display if it fits without making overall case dimensions much larger

- 2 USB ports if not too much trouble...

- Better speakers...

- Better nubs....

- Either better paint job or just have color in plastic (so, no paint needed...)

Thanks!

For a portable device with tv-out why is a bigger display so important?

For a portable device with tv-out why is a bigger display so important?
Because smaller displays are hard to get by nowadays. Most screens are 5'' nowadays with suppliers.

Anotehr question: with the sound-related circuitry remain the same for the Pandora successor (or even be improved?). That's one of the big selling points of the Pandora, so I hope there's a chance to keep it that way. 

I just don't want the Pandora to become a laptop..

Oh ya and keeping the sound quality is important I agree

Back