Some more of my ideas

I'm thinking about MicroHDMI, but need to check with licenses.
 Displayport isn't an option ? Why not ? Too complicated to implement, not supported by the SoC, Licensing issues, convenience factor ?

The hinge area will be changed completely, but we have to work on that.
That sounds at least promising
Won't work, as we can't make anything smaller here.
Sad, had high hopes for at least a small improvement (1-5mm range)
That's another thing that needs a lot of work and won't be easy, but I'll try to have the best ones possible.
Will we get more keys ? Is it the same technology (rubbermatt) ? Maybe hmc can be involved ?
Might be Kickstarter, might be preorders, might be a loan or anything else.

I can fund the full development but not the production.
Please no kickstarter, I don't have a credit card but I don't want to miss the whole preorder excitement.
The battery is not the issue, neither is the connector.

It's the tolerances (battery and case) that cause issues. This can easily be fixed though.
Would have liked a redesign, at least some caseing (= permanent case, much like every cellphone has for 10 years now).
"Leaving it to the community" is not a good enough alternative as seen by past history. Official Linux support I'm sure is a given if ED is calling the shots here. Hopefully this subject isn't being actively avoided.
What is the alternative ? I doubt Ed has the money / interest enough to pay a developer for keeping Android supported.
But people did it for Raspberry Pi, it could be just a cheap condensator. It was needed for power break when open/close lid of Motorola lapdock.
I doubt you can fit a capacitor that is big enough to give the Pandora a stable power supply for several seconds (10?) into the already cramped insides of the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the RAM: I would prefer faster and lower power RAM over larger quantities of it. 1GB is a minimum, but it's enough. Ideally I'd like 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM. If the SoC supports that of course.

RAM speed is the main bottleneck on the current Pandora (and will be even more so if and when the full potential of the DSP gets used). So it makes sense to get the fastest we can get. Especially with a higher resolution display and a faster CPU, I think many applications will be memory-speed-limited.

RAM speed is the main bottleneck on the current Pandora (and will be even more so if and when the full potential of the DSP gets used). So it makes sense to get the fastest we can get. Especially with a higher resolution display and a faster CPU, I think many applications will be memory-speed-limited.

Since the gpu has no dedicated RAM we will need even more bandwidth. Even on a GPU in a desktop pc, most of the kernels (gpu programms) are usually bandwith limited, on it its own super fast Memory. 

The new one really should support OpenGl too 

OpenGl + OpenCl (since we have no DSP).

Since the gpu has no dedicated RAM we will need even more bandwidth. Even on a GPU in a desktop pc, most of the kernels (gpu programms) are usually bandwith limited, on it its own super fast Memory. 

The new one really should support OpenGl too 

OpenGl + OpenCl (since we have no DSP).
Is OpenGL (as opposed to GL|ES) really that important? I feel like a lot of progress has been made lately on running GL apps on a GL|ES GPU (thanks to lunixbochs), so I don't know if hardware OpenGL support is really a must.

Any ideas on how optional 3G/4G/LTE/whatever would be implemented? You'd need a SIM slot I think.

Yes, right now it's planned to have the SIM slot below the battery. 
Below as in "you have to remove it to replace the sim card"? 

That would be a rather no go for me, i change my sim cards position about 8 times a day.

Also wasnt there something about a plan to have 3g as an option rather than in all units? 

I wonder if something like huaweis SD card shaped 3g devices could work in the P2.....

Every phone I've owned that had a sim card it was under the battery and had to be removed to change the sim card. Why are you switching them so much?

Edit: even my new Galaxy S4, it may not be under the battery, but you need to remove it to change it out.

Also wasnt there something about a plan to have 3g as an option rather than in all units?
Agree, who needs 3G nowadays when you can tether directly from your smartphone anywhere? I certainly would not BUY a separate 3G subscription just for the Pandora, and on top of that most of these "data-only" subscriptions are heavily capped in data volume.

Plus, note that the PS Vita 3G model was a total disaster on the market.

Agree, RAM speed should clearly be the priority, and with 1G RAM you can run about every Linux distro out there without any issue.

^ Agreed I could care less about back-lighting myself, if some money can be saved from not having it then I'd say we don't need it.
I could need backlight because when I sit on my couch in the evening/night I can't write anything on my Pandora until I switch full room light on. 180° opened hinge doesn't light up the keyboard and I use the Pandora with full opened hinge. ^^" I usualy sit on my Couch when using the Pandora at home so I really would benefit from a keyboard backlight. It doesn't need to be something fancy or multicolored stuff unlike ICP. I'm sure some simple backlight is doable without adding tons of additional costs. If you don't like it, disable it but I'm sure many people would prefer a keyboard light.

Please, keep the DC jack.

Charging daily by plugging/unplugging a USB cable is not good, especially not if it's µUSB. Mainly because I'd want a pandora to last more than two years, which seems to be the average lifetime of µUSB connectors for the devices that I and my friends have used..
 To recycle my Pandora Power Supply I would recommend to keep the well known DC jack. I don't have an USB charger or just want to plug my Pandora to my PC just for loading the batteries. Also don't want to buy another Power Supply.

Every phone I've owned that had a sim card it was under the battery and had to be removed to change the sim card. Why are you switching them so much?

Edit: even my new Galaxy S4, it may not be under the battery, but you need to remove it to change it out.
3g is the only existing network connection in my area. To avoid multiple plans i use one sim card for all my devices, most of them (Phones tend to not allow it although i know at least one) allow sim switching while running. 

It is as simple as removing an SD card. 

Agree, who needs 3G nowadays when you can tether directly from your smartphone anywhere? I certainly would not BUY a separate 3G subscription just for the Pandora, and on top of that most of these "data-only" subscriptions are heavily capped in data volume.
I pay 4€/month for a flatrate. Slow speed of course but enough for browsing and chatting. It makes more sense than using Wlan. And also i dont own a smartphone i could use to tether. 

I'm sure some simple backlight is doable without adding tons of additional costs. If you don't like it, disable it but I'm sure many people would prefer a keyboard light.
You missed this article :

http://pandoralive.info/?p=2300

:)

I pay 4€/month for a flatrate. Slow speed of course but enough for browsing and chatting. It makes more sense than using Wlan. And also i dont own a smartphone i could use to tether.
Then you are a very lucky man. In Japan it's at least 30 euros per month and for that price you get crap as a service. So don't assume your rate applies everywhere :)

since we have no DSP
Is that so? 
Not sure sorry. But open cl is nice, it uses the GPU as DSP when it has some capaticity left. And it is realy fast :) .  

Is OpenGL (as opposed to GL|ES) really that important? I feel like a lot of progress has been made lately on running GL apps on a GL|ES GPU (thanks to lunixbochs), so I don't know if hardware OpenGL support is really a must.

Lunixbochs Port does not support open gl 2.0 and above (shaders) which make newer games harder to port. 

Agree, who needs 3G nowadays when you can tether directly from your smartphone anywhere? I certainly would not BUY a separate 3G subscription just for the Pandora, and on top of that most of these "data-only" subscriptions are heavily capped in data volume. Plus, note that the PS Vita 3G model was a total disaster on the market.
  1. Not everyone has a smartphone.
  2. No pandora-successor can be a pure gaming device - do people buy laptops with built-in wireless modems?
+1 for hardware radio kill-switches btw

Will there be a German keyboard layout?

(Would solve my need for a backlit keyboard - maybe.)

Glow in the dark keys would suffice imo. Backlit keyboards are a gimmick imo. How hard is it to turn on the light in the room?

A nice measured and considered list of features is what we need. Having the ability to plug in other stuff would be cool though. Some kind of external port where stuff could be added, cameras, etc, but only if plausible/possible.

Talk of glow on the dark makes me want to install a UV led in my GHz Pandora to see how that lights up the keys.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Who needs a smartphone nowadays when the new pandora does have gsm and umts/3G?
Is it really that important to own a lifestyle iOs and android spyware?

Back