Some GamesCom Retro-Area pictures

People have no right to put the locks there in the first place though, so they really should expect them to be cut off.
They don't really care about that, it's irrelevant to them and thus to any people who live off those tourists and search for solutions to that lock problem.

I wonder if city officials and cops would have a problem with tourists going there to cut the locks off.  I would hang out on the bridges with some bolt cutters and remove them right in front of the people who put them on there.  One of the best things in the world is pissing people off by doing the right thing.  It isn't like this act is considered artistic, like some graffiti.  Do they pay for scrap metal over there?

I don't really see it as that much of a problem unless it's some unusually nice bridge, but that would sure be a funny thing to try. Would probably upset lots of people, but I can't really imagine there being a law against that.

Not sure I would do it, though. Probably not. I just don't care enough about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care if they aren't causing damage (which they sometimes are), aren't getting in the way, and they aren't an eyesore.  The only reason I would do it is to amuse myself and sell the locks as scrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamescom

Gamescom

Gamescom

Gamescom

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pictures

Pyra

Pyra

Pyra

Pyra

I don't really see it as that much of a problem unless it's some unusually nice bridge, but that would sure be a funny thing to try. Would probably upset lots of people, but I can't really imagine there being a law against that.

Not sure I would do it, though. Probably not. I just don't care enough about it.
but from reading the first couple of posts after my question someone stated that the bridge was "Listed" that would mean they were defacing a public monument. I'm sure there is a law against that.....

but from reading the first couple of posts after my question someone stated that the bridge was "Listed" that would mean they were defacing a public monument. I'm sure there is a law against that.....
Well if it damages the bridge then I think it would fall under endangering the public. The damage per lock is probably very small, but by encouraging others to do the same (putting up the lock so that it's clearly visible how easy it is) they are slowly chewing away the design margins. It also alters the resonance frequency of the bridge which could theoretically cause a fatal oscillation in heavy winds.

I meant a law against going there with a bolt cutter, removing some locks and selling them for scrap. There probably is no such law, exactly because of what you've written.

Back