So this thing will be a phone too?

ethereal

Quick question...

So what I read from the tech specs there will be an optional 3g/umts.  Does this mean that the pyra could double as a cellphone too?

Quick question...

So what I read from the tech specs there will be an optional 3g/umts.  Does this mean that the pyra could double as a cellphone too?
Yes, but it will make a very clumsy one with the clam shell design. A headset will most likely be the best thing to use with it.

As we saw in the early Pandora WiFi days, hardware presence does not equal instant function.  Someone will still have to write or port or other phone software into existence that can work with the hardware.  That type of functionality to actually 'make a call' may not be complete when the hardware first releases.

The project at http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/is working on providing support in modern kernels for all hardware developed by Nikolaus. Whether ED plans to use this kernel I don't know. Also some full distributions (e.g. Replicant with phone support, but currently on an older kernel version, because a lot is still missing for the device tree based kernels) are being worked on. In theory these could run on the Pyra, too. There were some nice presentations on this topic at the OHSW. Note that this effort is mostly funded through donations (see the link on the project page).

The project at http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/is working on providing support in modern kernels for all hardware developed by Nikolaus. Whether ED plans to use this kernel I don't know. Also some full distributions (e.g. Replicant with phone support, but currently on an older kernel version, because a lot is still missing for the device tree based kernels) are being worked on. In theory these could run on the Pyra, too. There were some nice presentations on this topic at the OHSW. Note that this effort is mostly funded through donations (see the link on the project page).
Currently working with the 3.19 kernel on the devboard with efforts put in by Nikolaus and aTc...

I believe you can use minicom to make outgoing calls. I am working on an xmessage script for incoming calls, but I need an actual Pyra to go any further.

minicom will let you send the "dial" command but you still need to reroute the audio to and from the module.

Assuming it's setup the way I think it will be, it should simply appear to the system as another audio device, so rerouting the audio should be as simple as "aplay -D0:0 | arecord -D1:0 &" or something like that, play from the built in microphone directly into the "microphone" of the module, and then another command for the opposite. Bluetooth should just appear as a different audio device to be rerouted. May be a one second delay due to arecord buffering the audio but I'm sure once the basic method is understood someone'll bang out a non-buffered application that does the same thing.

If the Pyra uses Pulse instead of straight alsa it'd be even easier, it's got guis and everything for redirecting audio between devices.

Back