Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

Hey, great work on this one!!
As far as I know, hq2x is one of the most difficult, CPU-eating filter. We now it from different PC-EMUS's and for example "Exult" on the Pandora - the moment you select hq2x, everything becomes almost unplayable, like 10fps or something like that.
Why not implementing the humble SuperEagle instead of the hq2x? This one looks good too and should run much smoother. Just an idea. ;)

Edit: Just checked the latest version - seems to run pretty smooth yet! Nice work! :)

Prometheus said:
Well, technically they already run too fast. It's just that they're choppy at the standard clock speed. Overclocking means that they run too quickly to be correctly playable (Star Fox is a great example of this, even :p ) - it's something that's true of the version of Snes9x that it's based on, too.
An auto-frameskip option would be really nice, in the meanwhile. :) Star Fox runs quite slow at FS0, but at FS1 it runs exactly twice as fast, with no speed control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Prometheus said:
Well, technically they already run too fast. It's just that they're choppy at the standard clock speed. Overclocking means that they run too quickly to be correctly playable (Star Fox is a great example of this, even :p ) - it's something that's true of the version of Snes9x that it's based on, too.
An auto-frameskip option would be really nice, in the meanwhile. :) Star Fox runs quite slow at FS0, but at FS1 it runs exactly twice as fast, with no speed control.

It already has autoskip ;-) , try the ingame menu. If you want to run Star Fox better, you turn off sound via commandline switch "-ns".

SiENcE said:
Esn said:
Prometheus said:

It already has autoskip ;-) , try the ingame menu. If you want to run Star Fox better, you turn off sound via commandline switch "-ns".
Playing without sound makes games much less enjoyable for me.

But thanks, I'll see if I can find it.

^ You'll likely find that even with auto frameskip it will run far too fast, Esn (try overclocking a tad and running it either with FS0 or auto-frameskip, to cite my own personal experience). The version of Snes9x on which this is based ran the game too fast, as SuperFX emulation at the time was not-quite-right*.

*(I gather that this didn't change until quite recently. I know that it runs pretty much correctly in the current desktop versions of Snes9x.)

Ya know it'd be nice to see some fixes to say.. the interface (I'd like it to remember settings :p) and maybe have it compiled on the latest toolchain :D (Source code!!)

wally said:
Ya know it'd be nice to see some fixes to say.. the interface (I'd like it to remember settings :p ) and maybe have it compiled on the latest toolchain :D (Source code!!)
The sourcecode is available, the link should be mentioned in the README file shipped with the emulator. Plain recompilation won't change much if anything at all. If you want the interface to remember settings: patches are welcome.

@Prometheus: I compared the Caanoo build with my real SNES using Super Mario Bros. and the Time runs nearly the same Speed. I also compare it to other SNES Emus for Dingux and Caanoo and Time runs a lot faster on them compared to real SNES.

We should do a real test comparsion before to talk about this issue.

I think Prometheus was just talking about the timing of SuperFX emulation. I certainly haven't noticed issues with timing otherwise.

Trying to run rom's that are 7ziped.
Only result so far is a black screen :(
Does the 7z support still work or am a doing something wrong?

Good work on the emu though!

SiENcE said:
@Prometheus: I compared the Caanoo build with my real SNES using Super Mario Bros. and the Time runs nearly the same Speed. I also compare it to other SNES Emus for Dingux and Caanoo and Time runs a lot faster on them compared to real SNES.

But Super Mario All-Stars does not use a SuperFX chip. As I said in my posts and as naples39 notes, I was referring purely to SuperFX emulation, and specifically to Star Fox. I have actually compared many emulators running this game to a real SNES many, many times over the years, including this one. ;) The game is being run far too fast.

Everything else is dead-on damn-near-perfect and I absolutely cannot fault it - I'm very grateful for it. :)

crimer said:
Trying to run rom's that are 7ziped.
Only result so far is a black screen :(
Does the 7z support still work or am a doing something wrong?
You could have a look at the output available in /tmp/pndrun*something_with_snes_in_it* and paste that here. Likely there is some error in your filename or something like this. And those 7z that are supported only allow a single rom in there and the rom has to have the same name as the archive. If you have those two things, please check the log output in the file I pointed to. Please paste it here and I might be able to tell you what is going wrong.

Ivanovic said:
You could have a look at the output available in /tmp/pndrun*something_with_snes_in_it* and paste that here. Likely there is some error in your filename or something like this. And those 7z that are supported only allow a single rom in there and the rom has to have the same name as the archive. If you have those two things, please check the log output in the file I pointed to. Please paste it here and I might be able to tell you what is going wrong.

Ok the rom runs fine without being 7ziped.
The names are the same and I used "7z a foo.smc.7z foo.smc" as zipping command.

Heres whats in the file:

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------
ROM filename is /media/diskeins/pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/3_Ninjas_Kick_Back.smc.7z
PWD pre-run /mnt/utmp/snes9x.skeezix.alpha
cat: args.txt: No such file or directory
No ROM file header found.
"??????K?????!BG?gz?!?" [bad checksum] LoROM, Corrupt, Type: ROM+RAM, Mode: e3, TV: PAL, S-RAM: Corrupt, ROMId: f?G? Company: ??

Switching to 50hz LCD

Thanks for the help

Prometheus said:
SiENcE said:

But Super Mario All-Stars does not use a SuperFX chip. As I said in my posts and as naples39 notes, I was referring purely to SuperFX emulation, and specifically to Star Fox. I have actually compared many emulators running this game to a real SNES many, many times over the years, including this one. ;) The game is being run far too fast.

Everything else is dead-on damn-near-perfect and I absolutely cannot fault it - I'm very grateful for it. :)

Oh ok. Yes SuperFX is not realtime and far from perfect.

OK nvm my Problem, finnaly found the solution.
Just had to remove the special characters. <_<
Thanks for the help.

Just uploaded a new version to the archive.

Changes in v20110213:
* Fixed 7z support. Now it should work "for real" even with larger archives with several files and if there are things like spaces and more than one '.' in the filename.
* Updated to the latest snes9x4X version. This introduces eg support for switching of transparency which can give some more speed but should not be required on the pandora (thus transparency is active by default).
* Used the latest toolchain to compile it. This might lead to some really tiny speed improvements, though I would not bet on it...

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

(It might take a little till ED activates the new version, so be patient!)

Ivanovic said:
Just uploaded a new version to the archive.

Changes in v20110213:
* Fixed 7z support. Now it should work "for real" even with larger archives with several files and if there are things like spaces and more than one '.' in the filename.
* Updated to the latest snes9x4X version. This introduces eg support for switching of transparency which can give some more speed but should not be required on the pandora (thus transparency is active by default).
* Used the latest toolchain to compile it. This might lead to some really tiny speed improvements, though I would not bet on it...

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

(It might take a little till ED activates the new version, so be patient!)

Nice! Thanks very much!

Back