Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazza558

Just editing this message to make things more clear - Squidge

craigix said:
Just to confirm every Pandora will have the 256MB.

Any delays are still down to the LCDs, we have 640 and the rest are coming when ready.

The two main reasons for the upgrade were 1) being to give some compensation for any fuss we cause with asking some people to reorder and 2) being that we can see where this project (and ARM chipsets in general) might be going and the advantages the extra RAM will give us in this area.

We never really imagined running things like Ubuntu so 128MB seemed fine as 256MB was not available and when it was it was initially so expensive as to be impossible.

But then after the Ubuntu 'buzz' and many long late night chats about it we decided it was worth it, the price came down just enough (after some long negotiations) for us to do it in time.

As you all know we are now making no money on the first batch and it has become more of a love of what we are doing and getting the Pandora out there.

Doom3 anyone?
** ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW ***
For those who haven't looked at the other thread...
Plus, do you think we would do something like move banks without giving you guys some kind of reward for the fuss? Maybe 2 rewards? Like... oh... I dunno... something not available 5 months ago? using even more bleeding edge tech... tech which has just become available in the last 6 weeks? Maybe Baby.

The quote is what craigx said in the "worst fears" thread.

Now, the question is, what can we do with 256MB that we couldn't do with 128MB?

Last edited by a moderator:
The thread title should be changed, as it's pure conjecture. Besides, I believe 256 was available when the Pandora was designed - but it was just too expensive.

That definitely sounds like the most plausible. The main question I'd have is what "fuss" means to me.

PolloLoco said:
The thread title should be changed, as it's pure conjecture. Besides, I believe 256 was available when the Pandora was designed - but it was just too expensive.
If you actually read that thread, it's almost certainly correct.

If this is indeed to be the case we may as well throw in 512MB of NAND too.

But don't forget this is to make up for any fuss caused when we change banks, this will mostly be related to credit card orders.

What will probably happen is some of you may get an email saying we have refunded your order please reorder here (url). Just follow the instructions and everything will be cool.

Oh and yes - that RAM is very expensive but we have decided if we want a real UMPC style device which is pretty future proof for a few years we need it. Ubuntu is 20% faster already - not to mention you will be able to run several large apps now without worrying.

craigix said:
What will probably happen is some of you may get an email saying we have refunded your order please reorder here (url). Just follow the instructions and everything will be cool.

when do you predict this will be?

craigix said:

But don't forget this is to make up for any fuss caused when we change banks, this will mostly be related to credit card orders.

Oh and yes - that RAM is very expensive but we have decided if we want a real UMPC style device which is pretty future proof for a few years we need it. Ubuntu is 20% faster already - not to mention you will be able to run several large apps now without worrying.

Thanks for more information. 512mb of internal space sounds nice too (especially if you want to add more features to the existing OS).

craigix said:
How will this effect currency exchange? Will the refund be made at current exchange rates (therefore it will make no/little difference, or will the refund be in the domestic dollars paid at the time of the original order (in which case, for Australia at least, since our currency has devalued substantially since then it will now be more expensive)?

craigix said:

Credit card orders you say, what about Debit card/Maestro/Switch etc?

craigix said:
Sorry about this but could you just confirm that if you do decide to upgrade the ram it would be for all orders and not just the ones that need to be corrected?

Thanks for keeping us updated. This is good news if there is to be a delay

Uprising said:
craigix said:
Sorry about this but could you just confirm that if you do decide to upgrade the ram it would be for all orders and not just the ones that need to be corrected?

Thanks for keeping us updated. This is good news if there is to be a delay

That is obvious ;)

It will be for the entire first batch i'm sure, you can't seperate the community like that. What happens when that N64 emu relies on 256mb to run smoothly?

Theres no way it'll be for some and not other.

Oh and yes - that RAM is very expensive but we have decided if we want a real UMPC style device which is pretty future proof for a few years we need it.

You guys really know what it's all about :D
Rock'n roll super mini Notebook :D
The spearhead of ARM technology in x86 terrain! Ok, I'll stop now, I've to take my pill :rolleyes: :D

i cant help but feel suspicious and midly paranoid. surely this is going to cost a LOT of extra money.

doubts cast aside for a minute, this is absolutely brilliant news and will certainly go some way towards a better n64 (and maybe even dreamcast) emulator sometime in the future.

gibberish said:
i cant help but feel suspicious and midly paranoid. surely this is going to cost a LOT of extra money.

doubts cast aside for a minute, this is absolutely brilliant news and will certainly go some way towards a better n64 (and maybe even dreamcast) emulator sometime in the future.
I doubt, that it is so much more expensive. TI has got to push the sales of its OMAP, there are obviously competitors pushing ARM to Netbooks. The first to acquire the market share is the first to make the money. A few months is a huge time period in that field of technology. The economic crisis adds to it.

How is it decided which people are refunded and have to re-order??? Is is random??. in canada the dollar has plunged so this would be bad news to Canadians.

You know I cant help but laugh, its seems not too long ago that people asking for 256 mb, which i would include myself were told we would never need that much memory.
Oh well seems a reason was found :D
First BT and now this pandora is really turning into a beast of a machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back