Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was impossible that people could upgrade their own ram, not the pandora team doing it themselves

my credit card order has gone smoothly and has been successfully charged in a matter of days, I hope I don't have to re-pay for the Pandora because i'd have to wait for a refund, first!
having my credit card refunded would actually be a good thing, since I paid 2,18 reais for the dollar at the time, and it's 2,10 now :p lol

try to get along with your bank manager, or else everyone helping you will be affected... with some smart pressure, you can get the bank to do what you demand, so please start to think what you need to say and do in order to get them to do what you want.
I think everyone here hopes everything turns out fine and the release date is not delayed again.

( I also hope mine still gets to be one of the first to ship, I even paid for UPS shipping because it would kill me to wait even more (regular mail can be slow here)! )

256mb ram and 512mb nand is great news! It'll come in handy for umpc usage (opening more pages in firefox, having flash plugins and such) and having more important apps in the nand :)

funny thing not so many people talked about craig's doom 3 line... it's a really good thing to hear about doom 3 possibility directly from him!

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
funny thing not so many people talked about craig's doom 3 line... it's a really good thing to hear about doom 3 possibility directly from him!
Uhm, Doom3 didn't run so smoothly at 800x600 on a 2.8GHz P4 and a GeForce6600GT. I think one could get 3-4 fps on a Pandora at most... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig's mentioned Doom 3 a couple of times.
It probably could work if optimized for the Pandora.
I mean, look at what the DS can do with its shitty hardware.

Just a dumb question, but has Doom 3's source actually been released yet?

Oscaruzzo said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
Uhm, Doom3 didn't run so smoothly at 800x600 on a 2.8GHz P4 and a GeForce6600GT. I think one could get 3-4 fps on a Pandora at most... :unsure:

Honestly, it really would be a good show-off project for Pandora. :)
The P.devs could throw in some money, when normal distribution is established and hire some devs to optimize Doom3 code for ARM(after source release, of course). P. would get a place in gaming history as the first handheld to run Doom3. There is no better advertising I can think of.

Wow, the pandora will be the biggest community handheld, ever! It's everything, and now even more! The Doom 3 stuff sounds kinda far-fetched, but I would LOVE to be proven wrong! My friends who didn't order first batch though are worried this will make the second batch more expensive. Is that so? Oooh... roll on Nov. 30!

And what exactly is 20% faster? 20% faster at loading ubuntu? 20% faster at running programs with ubuntu? etc.

mali said:
...WORDS... would get a place in gaming history as the first handheld to run Doom3. There is no better advertising I can think of.
The first handheld to run Crysis!?

(not that i'd want it to...)

jbr said:
Is this correct? Has there been any word as to when the expect them to ship, taking into account the display delays? How much later than Nov. 30th should I plan for? (I have to make sure I'll be in town and such.)
It is my understanding that the Nov 30 date already includes the LCD display delays. They knew the lead times on the parts when they picked that date already.

Chip said:
This is certainly a nice upgrade. I don't think it's nearly as game-changing as some seem to make out, though. There will be few, if any programs that will run now that wouldn't have before. Some programs will surely run better now that they don't have to use swap, but the tired old stement "128MB is all you really need" was not a lie.

Well, it has been said many times that OpenOffice would be cool soft for Pandora and always has been asked that OO could use too memory, so 256MB could make OO a nice reality.

I think the Pandora will be a very powerful device and capable of a lot but I don't think Doom 3 will play. I think Craig was kind of joking in a way when he said that but more or less to emphasize the power of the handheld. I can see Quake 3 fully optimized running on it though.

Oscaruzzo said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:

Um.

Doom3 runs fine on my 1.7ghz celeron, 512mb RAM, Geforce FX5200 gpu. Very playable on medium graphics settings, about 15-20fps with very occaisonal dips in cutscenes. There's something wrong with your rig, mate :p

128mb is massive. i was looking forward to seeing optimised apps and a really cut down fast OS. 256mb is great, but really neccesary? not really. nice to have though, obviously =]

as long as this won't delay my order past a week or so into December, i'm happy. hopefully i won't have to add another date to my sig.

the DS has 4mb of ram and does quite a bit of 3d stuff. PSP still has 32. i know this isn't just gaming device, but Ubuntu really isn't suited to the Pandora. with 256mb it will be better, but seriously... it's not anywhere near needed.

"Ubuntu buzz". that's all it is. people associate Ubuntu on machines with 512 or 1GB plus of ram with devices just working and general awesomeness. the Pandora is not that machine. i really hope they won't change to Ubuntu as the default complex GUI. i want a fast-loading trimmed OS that doesn't take huge chunks of RAM for itself.

mindlord said:
Another great way to see if you're affected is to check for a big ass $350US debit to the account you paid with. Once everyone else starts saying they got an email.
The only problem with that is some banks will take 3-4 days (or more) after the money is refunded for the refund to show up in your account. If craig only allows a few days to re-order, and we don't know because we haven't received an email....

+1 for an email saying yay or nay to everybody.

javaJake said:
Squidge said:
However, some banks MAY charge for translating currency, depending on where you are in the world, what your card currency is, and which site you used. If you didn't get charged it for sending the money, you will not be charged for the refund.
Dadgum. I'm gonna get charged both ways, I'll bet, then. What I've spent on the Pandora alone will soon be totaling around $440 (already had it canceled and re-ordered due to security checks on their end). Hmmm. :(
I'm pretty sure I'll be in this boat too if I have to reorder. Looking at my CC statement shows I've been slugged an extra AU$15 for currency conversion charge. So if I have to re-order, I can guarantee I'll be hit approx AU$15 again EACH WAY (refund and then reorder), making an extra AU$30 to my total purchase. Then there will be possible slight differences due to exchange rates going to hell in the past few weeks, even if we are refunded the full proper amount as craig promises in todays exchange rates (and no it's not as simple as some people seem to think, there are guaranteed to be slight differences somewhere for most currencies, also there are slight differences in exchange rates going one way to going the other way, ie buying and selling rates on currencies).

If I have to re-order, I'll be taking a close look at exactly how much extra it's going to cost me, and deciding from there whether to go through with it or just take my money and sit on the sidelines for a few extra months.

Wolfspirit said:
I think the Pandora will be a very powerful device and capable of a lot but I don't think Doom 3 will play. I think Craig was kind of joking in a way when he said that but more or less to emphasize the power of the handheld. I can see Quake 3 fully optimized running on it though.
Quake3 even runs on the ipod. That is no challenge for Pandora ;)
Doom3 in 400x240 and pixel doubling may be possible. On the small screen that resolution looks quite good(tried it with Quake2 on N800)

SHIT!!!!!!
The only reason I didn't order a unit from the first batch was the "128MB RAM problem". We were told that 256MB version will never come true as it'll split the community. Now things have changed. I perfectly new they would, but I didn't expect them to change that quickly. THIS IS UNFAIR!!!!!!! I want one with 256MB... THIS IS UNFAIR!!
SHIT!!!!!
:-(

_VWV_ said:
SHIT!!!!!!
The only reason I didn't order a unit from the first batch was the "128MB RAM problem". We were told that 256MB version will never come true as it'll split the community. Now things have changed. I perfectly new they would, but I didn't expect them to change that quickly. THIS IS UNFAIR!!!!!!! I want one with 256MB... THIS IS UNFAIR!!
SHIT!!!!!
:-(
All pandora's will have 256MB of RAM.

Well, I think that's why they are making more than one batch. So people can still buy it later, y'know?

White Demon said:
+1 for an email saying yay or nay to everybody.
-1 for the e-mail. What happens if people miss the e-mail? What happens if spam filters start catching them? People will start freaking out.

If your card isn't refunded, you're all set. There's no reason not to passively wait for your credit card to get refunded. If you can't wait, an e-mail won't do you much good anyway - you have to wait until the e-mail is sent out, and then hope it arrives, and then you'll be even more worried when you don't get it when you think it should arrive.

In other words, it's best to assume you're fine until you're specifically told you're not. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back