Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

Hi all,

Its been a little while so I built and uploaded a new version (0.0.5.1) to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to latest upstream smplayer2, mplayer2 and libav code.

- libcdparanoia was dropped in favor of libcdio

- libdvdread and libdvdnav are now statically linked

If someone has a usb dvd drive, I'd be interested in knowing that nothing broke in regards to playing dvds and cds.

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

Thank you for the update! Smplayer is my player of choice on Pandora.

One question : is it normal that the subtitles search function does not work ?

Probably not normal- I can't confirm the feature ever worked for me. Its possible the feature broke if opensubtitles.org changed their site. I will have to take a closer look.

thanks here also. Wonderful player.

If anyone has suggestions for their preferred DVD encoding software (free) and settings, I would be a happy puppy. Using vlc for win gives me a headache trying various containers and codecs with poor results every time.

thanks here also. Wonderful player.

If anyone has suggestions for their preferred DVD encoding software (free) and settings, I would be a happy puppy. Using vlc for win gives me a headache trying various containers and codecs with poor results every time.
Handbrake, some small note: XVID encoding support was dropped in all versions after 0.9.3

thanks thatgui!

Another problem i have with smplayer2 is that the preferences screen does not fir in the 800x480 pandora screen, so it is not possible to save preferences.

Could you resize the preferences window to something like 450 pixels height so we can save preferenmces? Thanks!

i hate to double post but I cannot edit with this browser

Most of my videos play too quietly. VLC has the option to increase loudness to 200%. Is there any similar option we can add to smplayer2? It is possible to add options to the mplayer commandline but as per the above post, it is not possible to save settings. Any help?

Thanks!

Thank you for the update! Smplayer is my player of choice on Pandora.

One question : is it normal that the subtitles search function does not work ?

Probably not normal- I can't confirm the feature ever worked for me. Its possible the feature broke if opensubtitles.org changed their site. I will have to take a closer look.

When I first heard "subtitles search", I imagined being able to seek to a spot in a subtitled video by typing in a fragment of the dialogue. I don't think I've ever seen a player offer that.

thanks thatgui!

Another problem i have with smplayer2 is that the preferences screen does not fir in the 800x480 pandora screen, so it is not possible to save preferences.

Could you resize the preferences window to something like 450 pixels height so we can save preferenmces? Thanks!

Workaround:

Hold the left shoulder button pressed, then hold left click (you can 'click' on any element of the settings dialog) while moving the mouse to drag the window up (out of the screen area) to reach the save button

Awesome! Under preferences you can increase software volume to 300%, which enables movie watching on speakers (with distortion of course, but it is rarely noticeable).

pder, when you say in the discussion thread that you rebuilt against newer upstream, could you at least tell us what versions 0.4.1 and 0.5.1 were built against so we can puzzle out out our own changelogs if need be?

ssokolow, responding here to your question on the repo:

All of the information on what code was built against between the various releases is in preserved in git through the use of git submodules.

First clone git://github.com/pder/mplayer2-build.git

You will find a tag for each release, eg. r4 = 0.0.4.1 and r5 = 0.0.5.1

After you clone the repository run the following:

Code:
git submodule update --init

If you would like to know the commit of each submodule in for example 0.0.4.1 you could do this:

Code:
git ls-tree r4 | grep commit

160000 commit d2da94955d683d1e4d22eee86d8c385f46bd7638 SMPlayer2

160000 commit 94b4c0d87182cd0bc84cf49cb793a0ab184df502 libass

160000 commit 3435f69f6f8dc8011ba045b4df9a8a6dd066e2bc libav

160000 commit 402e8554f19cd52768ecaf6fe4378cd5c44af71e libpostproc

160000 commit 78332308d47113fb256b276763fa510f92cd7793 mplayer

Another way to find out what changed with regards to submodules is to use git submodule summary:

If you have r5 checked out, git submodule summary r4 will print a changelog for each submodule since 0.0.4.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is video equalization (brightness, contrast) possible with omapfb? The eq button with sliders doesnt work for me.

I am blown away by how good handbrake's general h264 profile looks. With the help of a weak denoise filter during encode, I can get a film down to 600-750 MB with no significant artefacts (blocking or jpeg waves around sharp contours). Wow films are really fun on pandora. Also people give compliments on how good they look on this LCD "even at an angle".

Is video equalization (brightness, contrast) possible with omapfb? The eq button with sliders doesnt work for me.

Equalization is not currently implemented in the omapfb video output driver, however you can turn on software video equalization under Preferences -> General -> Video -> Use software video equalization, then the eq button with sliders should work.

Hi Pder, thanks for this application, its the only one that plays video's without issues.

However i found a bug in a feature that i find pretty important, the auto zoom function.

In order to scale the video perfectly to the borders of the screen, the user can press shift+W to increase the size, however doing so causes green borders around the video, when the video is is zoomed beyond 1.0.

Do you think its possible to make this feature work properly so that we can zoom beyond 1.0 without getting green borders?

I play the video's on an 1ghz unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back