Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

You mean by making an iso and then burn that to a cd.

Of an original VCD that would be the correct method - make a direct disc image and burn that. If you are creating a disc image, it will include all files in that image.

But of your incorrectly created copies, no - the image will be exactly the same as the discs you already have. You would need to copy the files onto your HD and burn them again, using software that understands that it is making a VCD, so it will be correctly done.

When I said your discs may not have been burned with the correct ISO standard, this has nothing to do with making an ISO image - ISO in this case refers to the discs format ( See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660 - VCDs must be ISO9660 Mode 2). Disc burning software allows you to create discs of different standards. Your discs not being the correct ISO standard was one possible reason they dont work.

See my post above and look at the VideoHelp link. VCDs must be burned in a specific way to work correctly. Your burning software will need to have a VCD creation option and you will use all the files that are on your discs, it's almost certain that they were all present on the one they were copied from.
I've burned it with mode 2 it's still the same.

All files i placed onto desktop and burned then again,the reason for not working because the disc i have which has the files was burned with mode 1 by me the original i had was a copy also maybe that disc was made by mode 1 aswell,so there no way this disc will ever work because of original made by mode 1,so all disks will remain the same.

I have one more question my audio cd copies are doing the same,why are they doing that?

All files i placed onto desktop and burned then again,the reason for not working because the disc i have which has the files was burned with mode 1 by me the original i had was a copy also maybe that disc was made by mode 1 aswell,so there no way this disc will ever work because of original made by mode 1,so all disks will remain the same.

Possible, these may not actually be proper VCDs at all.

But if trying to create discs that conform to VCD expectations anyway, as I've said, it's not enough just to burn the files to a CD. The burning software you use MUST have a VCD creation mode. Just burning them as a data disc is not enough - again, look at the link to the Video help forum in my earlier post; VCD discs require the files to appear in a specific order on the disc. Just using a regular disc burning process won't achieve this, that's why you need to use the option for VCD burning in your disc burning software. If you don't have such an option then you need software to do it. Someone in the link I gave suggested that Imgburn does this, and it's free, but I've never used it.

Your next question suggests the whole problem may be much simpler though:

I have one more question my audio cd copies are doing the same,why are they doing that?

Do they play as CDs in a normal CD player (not a PC drive, an ordinary audio CD player)? Are you using the same blank discs for these? If these are recognised as CDs and play without any problem in an ordinary audio CD player, then there's almost certainly a problem reading your discs in whatever drive you have attached to the pandora.

Try burning them at a much slower speed or use a different brand to check. See if the drive can read CDRs burned by someone else, data or audio.

Possible, these may not actually be proper VCDs at all.

But if trying to create discs that conform to VCD expectations anyway, as I've said, it's not enough just to burn the files to a CD. The burning software you use MUST have a VCD creation mode. Just burning them as a data disc is not enough - again, look at the link to the Video help forum in my earlier post; VCD discs require the files to appear in a specific order on the disc. Just using a regular disc burning process won't achieve this, that's why you need to use the option for VCD burning in your disc burning software. If you don't have such an option then you need software to do it. Someone in the link I gave suggested that Imgburn does this, and it's free, but I've never used it.

Do they play as CDs in a normal CD player (not a PC drive, an ordinary audio CD player)? Are you using the same blank discs for these? If these are recognised as CDs and play without any problem in an ordinary audio CD player, then there's almost certainly a problem reading your discs in whatever drive you have attached to the pandora.

Try burning them at a much slower speed or use a different brand to check. See if the drive can read CDRs burned by someone else, data or audio.
I tried it with imgburn it's the same result.

The cd does work in a cd player but nero won't accept .cda files that 's the audio cd format.

I tried it with imgburn it's the same result.

The cd does work in a cd player but nero won't accept .cda files that 's the audio cd format.

Imgburn relates to your VCD problem, nothing to do with your audio discs. Since you've said your audio CDRs don't work properly either, the problem now appears to be unrelated to actual VCD issues at all. The fact that any recorded disc isn't working should tell you this.

"Nero wont accept .cda files"

- you don't copy audio cds by simply copying 'cda' files to your HD!!! You use the "extract audio files" option or disc copy option in Nero. Trying to copy most types of disc other than plain data MUST be done using the right ripping/reading method. Look at the size of those "cda" files you tried to copy. They are almost certainly just a few kb in size - they contain no audio at all.

Correctly ripped audio files will normally be large .wav files, a ripped disc image will be a very large .iso or nero format disc image.

"File copying" - just copying and pasting the 'files' from the CD to your HD is only appropriate for copying discs containing just data. Audio CDs are not data discs.

Burn a disc correctly, check it plays in your audio cd player, see if it works in the drive you are trying to use on the pandora. If it doesn't work, you will know there is an issue reading your CDRs in that drive.

You need to eliminate the way you are creating discs as the source of your problem.

Try using CDRs (audio for a start) that were burned by someone else. If they play you know the problem is your disc media or burning method. If they don't work you know the problem is back to your drive, not VCDs, Audio CDs or any other content type.

If your drive cannot read your CDRs regardless of what they are, audio CD, VCD, whatever then the problem is completely unrelated to smplayer2 and has really gone too far off the thread topic now -

mods, maybe time to excise this portion to support under a title like "the VCD probem that wasn't!" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Asmo, i must say, you posses a patience that i could never have, even as a pandora pre-orderer

Hello pder. Would it be possible to comile mplayer2 with the radio interface support? That would be really nice.

Switches should be --enable-radio and --enable-radio-capture in ./configure

Last edited by a moderator:
Asmo, i must say, you posses a patience that i could never have, even as a pandora pre-orderer

:D

I did have a dream about going on a rampage in a Tank last night. There may be a connection. ;)

Hello pder. Would it be possible to comile mplayer2 with the radio interface support? That would be really nice.

No problem, I added these options and hopefully will release another build very soon.

No problem, I added these options and hopefully will release another build very soon.

Nice, thanks a lot :) Do you know by any chance if the smplayer2 GUI makes it possible to use the radio as an actual radio (with seeking and maybe even RDS?)? Console mplayer/2, as it seems to me, only supports streaming of a preset frequency

Hi all,

Another update (0.0.3.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to latest upstream smplayer2 (cosmetic changes, menu reorganization, and bug fixes)

- Updated to latest upstream mplayer2 and libav

- Enabled radio and radio capture support

- Enabled subtitle download support in smplayer2

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

Nice, thanks a lot :) Do you know by any chance if the smplayer2 GUI makes it possible to use the radio as an actual radio (with seeking and maybe even RDS?)? Console mplayer/2, as it seems to me, only supports streaming of a preset frequency

Hmm, no idea since I never have owned such a device. However, from what I could gather from the documentation it appears to only support streaming of preset frequencies. Btw, I used --enable-radio, --enable-radio-capture, and --enable-radio-v4l2 for the latest build.

What radio device are you using with your Pandora?

Nice player looks identical to the pc.

You said it has radio support but how do i get it to work.

This player has gone worse than before now the original dvd and audio cd's don't work anymore.

This player has gone worse than before now the original dvd and audio cd's don't work anymore.

Come on man, I appreciate you reporting problems, but at least post your logs. You have a really bad habit of not giving any useful information to allow people to help.

If by some chance you reflashed your firmware recently it might mean you need readd yourself to the cdrom group.

:p To say something very positive about the Player: It works with my ripped Star Trek NG files... they don´t work with panplayer :p Only thing mentionable is that it seems to use more cpu power than panplayer. But that´s not really so much an issue :p

Come on man, I appreciate you reporting problems, but at least post your logs. You have a really bad habit of not giving any useful information to allow people to help.

If by some chance you reflashed your firmware recently it might mean you need readd yourself to the cdrom group.
I've installed beta 1.1 fw, so i have changed the fw.

About cdrom group how do i do that.

I just added myself to the cd rom group then i log out and logged in but it still the same.

Do you know why is it doing that.

Back