Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
Well, is it possible that you write me down the exact procedure to download the sources plz ?

Also the export and ./configure options that you use.

Is smplayer automatically built ? I don't need it, i prefer to use as much slackbuilds.org as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, is it possible that you write me down the exact procedure to download the sources plz ?

Also the export and ./configure options that you use.

Is smplayer automatically built ? I don't need it, i prefer to use as much slackbuilds.org as possible.

This is how I would download sources and build for pandora. I use Ivanovic's toolchain for this but building on the OP should be close to the same idea.

Code:
git clone git://github.com/pder/mplayer2-build.git

git submodule init

git submodule update

If you look at the changes I made to the mplayer2-build repo it is mainly additional libs that were out of date on the pandora firmware that you may or may not care about like libcdio, libdvdread, etc. All of the configure options for each component are in the files libav_options, mplayer_options, libdvdread_options, etc. I also added SMPlayer2 source as a submodule which is built with a separate script. You can ignore that.

Note that the only submodule I modified is the mplayer one which you cloned above.

The only environment variables I set are for the cross toolchain in setup_env.sh which you can also ignore.

Edit: The above is not completely true. Look also at my changes in the scripts directory- in some cases I had to add things like compiler flags there.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
Yay ! It worked !

I went directly in the mplayer directory, and made a quick and dirty build.

Now i'll have to make a proper slackbuild of this.

Thanks.

--EDIT:

Do you plan to make an update soon ?

Hi,

Another update (0.0.6.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to SMPlayer2 release v0.8.0

- Built against latest development mplayer2, libav, and libass code.

- Fixed issue with libdvdcss library not loading

- Live555 support was dropped

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
A quick question. When i

Code:
git submodule update

All modules are updated, but i need only mplayer, so to avoid useless downloads, how do i fetch mplayer only plz ?

--EDIT:

Also, why do you choose oss as sound backend, not alsa ?

A quick question. When i

Code:
git submodule update

All modules are updated, but i need only mplayer, so to avoid useless downloads, how do i fetch mplayer only plz ?

--EDIT:

Also, why do you choose oss as sound backend, not alsa ?

git submodule update mplayer

Should update only the mplayer submodule. Are you compiling libav from elsewhere?

I sort of remember alsa not working as well or worse performance on the old 2.6 kernel. I'll need to revisit this.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
Ok, thx.

I think libav is included in the ffmpeg i ship.

Did you tweak yours ?

Alsa works here, but i didn't bench.

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Alsa works here, but i didn't bench.

I did some quick bench (looking at "top") with deadbeef to compare OSS & Alsa, and I find Alsa to be a bit more demanding than OSS, adding a 5% to cpu consumption. That was with SZ 1.52.

Linux-SWAT

Hardcore Member
Not big, but not small too...

--EDIT:

I noticed that playing .mov files is waaaaayyy slower than with my old working MPlayer1 build.

I'm currently rebuilding the 2010, then i'll do the 2012.

Do you think having many deps like ffmpeg, dirac, x264, schroedinger, libquicktime etc. slow down the whole mplayer binary ?

Also pder, your MPlayer2 seems to support fontconfig, not mine. Here's my switches:

Code:
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

./configure --disable-libdvdcss-internal \

--prefix=/usr \

--mandir=/usr/man \

--confdir=/etc/mplayer \

--codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs \

--language=all

Not big, but not small too...

--EDIT:

I noticed that playing .mov files is waaaaayyy slower than with my old working MPlayer1 build.

I'm currently rebuilding the 2010, then i'll do the 2012.

Do you think having many deps like ffmpeg, dirac, x264, schroedinger, libquicktime etc. slow down the whole mplayer binary ?

Also pder, your MPlayer2 seems to support fontconfig, not mine. Here's my switches:

Code:
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

./configure --disable-libdvdcss-internal \

--prefix=/usr \

--mandir=/usr/man \

--confdir=/etc/mplayer \

--codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs \

--language=all

Are you saying .mov files is way slower with the pnd I released, or your build? Maybe we should move discussion of the slackware build of mplayer to a different thread to avoid confusion.

Also FFMpeg != libav. mplayer2 depends on libav.

If you are getting bad performance, look at your libav build and make sure things like neon are enabled. Look at the file libav_options in my mplayer2-build repo for the configure switches I use.

Michoko

Hi,

Another update (0.0.6.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to SMPlayer2 release v0.8.0

- Built against latest development mplayer2, libav, and libass code.

- Fixed issue with libdvdcss library not loading

- Live555 support was dropped

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

It's always great so see one of the best apps for Pandora updated! Thank you! :)

milkshake

Advanced Member
just tried smplayer with smtube on my pc (ubuntu 12.10) and its pretty neat hope to see it soon in the pandora build :)

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
One question : why is there such a gap in performance between SmPlayer and PanPlayer ? I believe both are using mplayer2 for playback. But at the same frequency I get more or less smooth playback on Panplayer and a slideshow on SmPlayer -> is this due to defaults settings they use for mplayer2 ?

One question : why is there such a gap in performance between SmPlayer and PanPlayer ? I believe both are using mplayer2 for playback. But at the same frequency I get more or less smooth playback on Panplayer and a slideshow on SmPlayer -> is this due to defaults settings they use for mplayer2 ?

First thing to confirm is that you are using the SMPlayer2 pnd from here and not the SMPlayer pnd which uses the much slower mplayer binary in the firmware. Your icon or menu item should be titled SMPlayer2 - NOT SMPlayer

If you are still having problems after that, try deleting the smplayer2 appdata directory- perhaps the defaults got screwed up- or you have a very old config.