Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

A quick question. When i

Code:
git submodule update

All modules are updated, but i need only mplayer, so to avoid useless downloads, how do i fetch mplayer only plz ?

--EDIT:

Also, why do you choose oss as sound backend, not alsa ?

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick question. When i

Code:
git submodule update

All modules are updated, but i need only mplayer, so to avoid useless downloads, how do i fetch mplayer only plz ?

--EDIT:

Also, why do you choose oss as sound backend, not alsa ?

git submodule update mplayer

Should update only the mplayer submodule. Are you compiling libav from elsewhere?

I sort of remember alsa not working as well or worse performance on the old 2.6 kernel. I'll need to revisit this.

Ok, thx.

I think libav is included in the ffmpeg i ship.

Did you tweak yours ?

Alsa works here, but i didn't bench.

Alsa works here, but i didn't bench.

I did some quick bench (looking at "top") with deadbeef to compare OSS & Alsa, and I find Alsa to be a bit more demanding than OSS, adding a 5% to cpu consumption. That was with SZ 1.52.

Not big, but not small too...

--EDIT:

I noticed that playing .mov files is waaaaayyy slower than with my old working MPlayer1 build.

I'm currently rebuilding the 2010, then i'll do the 2012.

Do you think having many deps like ffmpeg, dirac, x264, schroedinger, libquicktime etc. slow down the whole mplayer binary ?

Also pder, your MPlayer2 seems to support fontconfig, not mine. Here's my switches:

Code:
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

./configure --disable-libdvdcss-internal \

--prefix=/usr \

--mandir=/usr/man \

--confdir=/etc/mplayer \

--codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs \

--language=all

Not big, but not small too...

--EDIT:

I noticed that playing .mov files is waaaaayyy slower than with my old working MPlayer1 build.

I'm currently rebuilding the 2010, then i'll do the 2012.

Do you think having many deps like ffmpeg, dirac, x264, schroedinger, libquicktime etc. slow down the whole mplayer binary ?

Also pder, your MPlayer2 seems to support fontconfig, not mine. Here's my switches:

Code:
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

./configure --disable-libdvdcss-internal \

--prefix=/usr \

--mandir=/usr/man \

--confdir=/etc/mplayer \

--codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs \

--language=all

Are you saying .mov files is way slower with the pnd I released, or your build? Maybe we should move discussion of the slackware build of mplayer to a different thread to avoid confusion.

Also FFMpeg != libav. mplayer2 depends on libav.

If you are getting bad performance, look at your libav build and make sure things like neon are enabled. Look at the file libav_options in my mplayer2-build repo for the configure switches I use.

Hi,

Another update (0.0.6.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to SMPlayer2 release v0.8.0

- Built against latest development mplayer2, libav, and libass code.

- Fixed issue with libdvdcss library not loading

- Live555 support was dropped

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

It's always great so see one of the best apps for Pandora updated! Thank you! :)

just tried smplayer with smtube on my pc (ubuntu 12.10) and its pretty neat hope to see it soon in the pandora build :)

One question : why is there such a gap in performance between SmPlayer and PanPlayer ? I believe both are using mplayer2 for playback. But at the same frequency I get more or less smooth playback on Panplayer and a slideshow on SmPlayer -> is this due to defaults settings they use for mplayer2 ?

One question : why is there such a gap in performance between SmPlayer and PanPlayer ? I believe both are using mplayer2 for playback. But at the same frequency I get more or less smooth playback on Panplayer and a slideshow on SmPlayer -> is this due to defaults settings they use for mplayer2 ?

First thing to confirm is that you are using the SMPlayer2 pnd from here and not the SMPlayer pnd which uses the much slower mplayer binary in the firmware. Your icon or menu item should be titled SMPlayer2 - NOT SMPlayer

If you are still having problems after that, try deleting the smplayer2 appdata directory- perhaps the defaults got screwed up- or you have a very old config.

Hi,

It seems that in the latest update, the OSD text is now quite big, compared to previous versions (notably the seeking/timing display). Is there an option in the preferences to reduce its size? Thanks! :)

First thing to confirm is that you are using the SMPlayer2 pnd from here and not the SMPlayer pnd which uses the much slower mplayer binary in the firmware. Your icon or menu item should be titled SMPlayer2 - NOT SMPlayer

If you are still having problems after that, try deleting the smplayer2 appdata directory- perhaps the defaults got screwed up- or you have a very old config.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions - I was referring to smplayer2 indeed.

I did remove the appfolder and checked again now and it seems the performance is slightly improved. Maybe it was as simple as that!

Whenever I try to view 1080p video, I can't actually see anything, it all goes green. I've tried all the default output drivers, but none of them make a difference, apart from changing the colour of the screen. Any ideas?

The same thing happens with 720p video, but that's fixed with going full-screen. The 720p video uses the MPEG-4 codec, the 1080p video uses h.264.

yeah usually video is dropped over audio if the frame rate cannot follow. So you get audio but the video would not display.

By the way 1080p is overkill for a screen like the Pandora that can only display 800*480 - even if it was working you would be using way to much CPU for nothing, since most of the pixels would not be displayed (only one in 4 or something).

Back