Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

/dev/dvd didn't work and type in terminal mount it was /dev/scd0 i typed that didn't work either.

When i checked view logs on mplayer 2 it shows white blank screen.

I entered Is -I /dev/scd0 in terminal it wasn't correct,i entered like this Is first letter capital i then s then space minus then capital i then space /dev/scd0,is this correct.

I did get it to work in a different way from open>dvd from folder.then from here you have to choose video_ts folder and press ok and you come up with dvd menu screen,which is perfect.

It look like it doesn't work from dvd from drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this info from terminal:

"ls -l /dev/scd0"

brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan 21 16.37 /dev/scd0,this is the info from terminal.

"ls -l /dev/scd0"

brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan 21 16.37 /dev/scd0,this is the info from terminal.

Your user needs to be a member of the cdrom group in order for this to work. Perhaps this should be the default during the initial setup in the firmware.

You can do this by running the following in the terminal:

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom $(whoami)

You must then logout and log back in for the change to take effect.

It came with error when i typed through terminal.

It said this bash: syntax error near unexpected token '(`

I have 720p AC-3 mkv video file it freezes as soon it starts is there any chance of running this movie.

I have 720p AC-3 mkv video file it freezes as soon it starts is there any chance of running this movie.

Try typing the command again carefully, or try cutting and pasting. It works for me.

No, I found that with h264 video, 480p is the limit with this software on the pandora. You will have to reencode.

Maybe one day if the dsp stuff is sorted out 720p h264 will be possible.

When i paste your sudo usermod -a -G cdrom $ (whoami) it asks for password and then it goes back to username,why is it doing that.

Because this just worked?

Some commandline stuff doesn't give you comments like "I worked perfectly, you can now proceed to do what you had in mind before doing this command" :)

Try typing the command again carefully, or try cutting and pasting. It works for me.

No, I found that with h264 video, 480p is the limit with this software on the pandora. You will have to reencode.

Maybe one day if the dsp stuff is sorted out 720p h264 will be possible.
Ok i've entered the command and it's been accepted,what do i do next.

Edit: I can't say nice things drunk.

"ls -l /dev/scd0"

Your user needs to be a member of the cdrom group in order for this to work. Perhaps this should be the default during the initial setup in the firmware.

You can do this by running the following in the terminal:

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom $(whoami)

You must then logout and log back in for the change to take effect.
After entering the command you are saying logout and log back in, i will do that right away.

After doing all this entering the command then logout and log back in,when i click on dvd from drive it goes back to config screen.

Something new has happened under dvd device there are loads of different devices to select from,i can't get it to work with any of them.

My 640x480 h264 based videos still turn into a slideshow

<<<sigh>>>

It looks like we'll never get h264 playback on the Pandora.

Hmm, could you post a sample or more details about this file? You can display the mplayer log by pressing Ctrl-M or under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2. I have quite a few h264 videos I tested encoded at 720x400 and they play perfectly without any frameskip if I overclock to around 800mhz.

Also could you try experimenting with the "Correct PTS" setting? It is located under Options -> Preferences -> Advanced

I tried running a few videos at 800mhz. I encoded them with avidemux 2.54 (windoze), at 640x480 (or 848x480 for widescreen), with an average bitrate of 1000 - 1200. The frame rate was much better (still not perfect), but there were still instances were there was some considerable frameskip (mainly in action scenes).

I also tried the correct PTS setting, which made no noticable difference.

Just for shits and giggles I tried a file which I had downloaded earlier that day, which had a much higher bitrate (around 1500 average) and 704x400 resolution, and I was very surprised to find it played very well, but the sound was out of sync (can't remember if it was ahead or behind right now).

So not bad, but it would be nice if one day wwe were able to play h264 flawlessly. Actually, I'm surprised that the Pandora's been out for 2 years and this still hasn't been sorted yet.

<<<sigh>>>

Hmm, could you post a sample or more details about this file? You can display the mplayer log by pressing Ctrl-M or under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2. I have quite a few h264 videos I tested encoded at 720x400 and they play perfectly without any frameskip if I overclock to around 800mhz.

Also could you try experimenting with the "Correct PTS" setting? It is located under Options -> Preferences -> Advanced

I tried running a few videos at 800mhz. I encoded them with avidemux 2.54 (windoze), at 640x480 (or 848x480 for widescreen), with an average bitrate of 1000 - 1200. The frame rate was much better (still not perfect), but there were still instances were there was some considerable frameskip (mainly in action scenes).

Just for shits and giggles I tried a file which I had downloaded earlier that day, which had a much higher bitrate (around 1500 average) and 704x400 resolution, and I was very surprised to find it played very well, but the sound was out of sync (can't remember if it was ahead or behind right now).

So not bad, but it would be nice if one day wwe were able to play h264 flawlessly. Actually, I'm surprised that the Pandora's been out for 2 years and this still hasn't been sorted yet.

I'm still a little bit suprised by your results especially with a 640x480 video- if you can point me to samples I'd like to compare. Can you make sure that wifi is turned off and that audio equalization is not on in the settings? Maybe also try overclocking to 850Mhz or so.

The A/V sync issues likely indicate a bad encode, but you might be able to work around it with some of the settings.

As mentioned earlier, performance is not likely to get much better without utilizing the dsp.

<<<sigh>>>

I'm still a little bit suprised by your results especially with a 640x480 video- if you can point me to samples I'd like to compare. Can you make sure that wifi is turned off and that audio equalization is not on in the settings? Maybe also try overclocking to 850Mhz or so.

The A/V sync issues likely indicate a bad encode, but you might be able to work around it with some of the settings.

As mentioned earlier, performance is not likely to get much better without utilizing the dsp.
It's not too hard to get SD sized content for most file formats to work under the default 500-600 mhz mode, you just have to set the right settings. One thing to make sure is to make sure that it has skiploopfilter set to all, which I think is in the smplayer settings. Also if you have it set to use framedrop at all, you have to pass it nocorrect-pts, as it's not recommended to run it the other way when using frame dropping. Another issue you may be running into is that I found with mplayer2, some of the demuxers just don't work right when I was using my builds, so for example rmvb files would mostly refuse to play, which may be another issue that could be occuring. I also found that, at least when I was trying it a number of months ago, running mplayer within smplayer will typically have a hit on performance, which is why I went the way I did with panplayer. Any number of issues could be coming up, and sometimes it can be hard to find the cause. :)

<<<sigh>>>

It's not too hard to get SD sized content for most file formats to work under the default 500-600 mhz mode, you just have to set the right settings. One thing to make sure is to make sure that it has skiploopfilter set to all, which I think is in the smplayer settings. Also if you have it set to use framedrop at all, you have to pass it nocorrect-pts, as it's not recommended to run it the other way when using frame dropping. Another issue you may be running into is that I found with mplayer2, some of the demuxers just don't work right when I was using my builds, so for example rmvb files would mostly refuse to play, which may be another issue that could be occuring. I also found that, at least when I was trying it a number of months ago, running mplayer within smplayer will typically have a hit on performance, which is why I went the way I did with panplayer. Any number of issues could be coming up, and sometimes it can be hard to find the cause. :)

Thanks for the info especially on skiploopfilter=all.

I tried a couple rmvb files tonight I didn't encounter any that didn't work, however mplayer2 crashed if I had correct-pts set to true. Also I know smplayer2 allows you to force a different demuxer. You can get a list of demuxers with mplayer -demuxer help.

I noticed originally the biggest performance problem with using smplayer with the default settings was that audio equalization was turned on. I believe that used almost 15% of the CPU- so I made the default disabled in the pnd. Looking at top with the default settings I notice smplayer2 uses around 2-3%. Not a huge amount, but it can sometimes make the difference between perfect playback and frames occasionally getting dropped.

I sometimes prefer to run mplayer2 from the command line to eliminate the overhead if necessary. One thing I also noticed is if you run in a terminal, use the -quiet option. If you don't the updates to the terminal window eat up a lot of cpu.

@pder you didn't tell me anything about,what do next,how to get it working from dvd from drive,as i said i have loads of drives comes up in select your dvd device.

Other thing is what's the best cpu speed should i use from using with external dvd drive,is 800mhz ok.

Back