Smashgp 0.4b

Looking good (I like the new menu system), but I don't know if it is just me, but doesn't it seem like Mario's Down+B move is way too short? Also, I seem to be having some trouble trying to jump all the way and then use my Up+B move (Isn't he supposed to extend at the very end to send his opponent into the air?). Also, when do you plan on adding smash moves (I'm guessing after 1.0?)? And lastly, what is up with mario's jumping dive move from Mario 64? I'm confused, is this game supposed to be N64 accurate or is it just your own version of what you would like Smash Bros to be?

BTW, I'm not trying to sound like an ass, it is just that when I read the name SmashGP, I immediately thought of the N64 smash bros., but then I noticed some differences in gameplay like the new jumping dive move, shorter time for mario's up+b, lack of smash hits, no specific directional hits (Like a down, left or right, or up hits), etc.

I'm not sure if this is because it is in such an early beta (Which would make all of these things reasonable), or if you aren't aware of it, or what. Not trying to come off negative here, mATkEUpON, I'm just a little confused :huh:

Well, actually I wanted to make a N64 Smash bros clone, as close as I could, but a lot of stuff quickly made me change some little things, which make the game clearly different now...

For example, the smash moves system on N64 require an analog pad, as you have to move the pad quickly if you want to trigger a smash. On the gp32, you can't see if the pad was moved quickly, so you just have to go to the direction + hit the button quickly. If you don't hit the button quick enough, the a normal move will be triggered.

Also, there are directional hits (or there should be, depending on what character you play with. It depends on who made the character, so it's normal there are some changes (like the up+B move).

About Mario's moves, well, I used some ripped gfx from the net, so I used everything I could. Some moves are new, some other changed or don't have the same effect... But at this stage I knew I wouldn't be able to do a real Smash Bros clone.

About a Dreamcast version, all I've done at this stage is buy a DC coder's cable... I tried to plug it and asked politely, but it didn't compile yet :blink:
I guess I'll have to spend some time on this !! :)

mATkEUpON posted on Mar 28 2005 at 11:50 PM said:
Also, there are directional hits (or there should be, depending on what character you play with. It depends on who made the character, so it's normal there are some changes (like the up+B move).
I didn't notice any directional hits (A button hits, B button hits are there) with Mario, like up+A or down+A :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
There isnt really a down a attack, just a crouching attack...
And there are different a attacks just you have to be hitting the stick directly up as you press a.
Its all about the timing of you button presses, its a bit exact... or something...
It takes a bit of getting used to...
But, once you know what you are doing, this game is awesome...
It has already convince one of my friends to get a gp32...
Anyways, I just want to thank Matkeupon again for this excellent game! :D
I will enjoy playing it and making characters for it for a long time to come... ^_^

mATkEUpON - You should make all of the A attacks the smash attacks from the N64 version because smash hits are used more frequently than regular hits. Also, do you think you could make mario jump at the end of his down+b like in the n64 version so he can't constantly down+b? Maybe make a should button jump instead of select?

onionfrog posted on Mar 30 2005 at 02:02 PM said:
or you could stop doing a direct comparison to the n64 game and appreciate it for what it is. <_<
Well, he already said that he was trying to make a clone of the N64 version, I'm just trying to help him make it closer to the N64 version. Since smash moves are used more frequently than regular moves, why not just make the regular attacks smash moves? What's wrong with a comment like this? I'm trying to help out, idiot. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually I wanted to make a N64 Smash bros clone, as close as I could, but a lot of stuff quickly made me change some little things, which make the game clearly different now...
He originally wanted it to be a smashbros clone.. but ended up having to change things, so now its not so close to the n64 game, but still excellent.. :)
Eh, Anyway, please don't call me an idiot.. <_< :)

Just called you an idiot because of the way you worded your comment and also because you are saying that I'm not appreciating it at all. Sorry about that.

I know it's not going to be exactly like the n64 version, so I'm trying to give him some feedback on what would make it closer to the n64 version and what would be the best thing to do, like ignoring regular attacks and sticking with just smash moves since those tend to be used a lot more than regular hits.

Back