Bor beta 3 released

Excellent Squidge. Sound and music really makes a difference. If you can sort the memory probs this will give her knights a run for it's money.

Top job!

DCSteve, Do you think that it's possible you adapt your Megaman mod for gp32 ?
because many levels doesn't work..

Your mod is so cool, and a megaman on gp32 were an old dream for me ^^

Hummm... better wait to GP BOR final release... maybe Squidge has some more tricks for memory.
It's better to play a MOD as it is. ;)

Well, here's a nice little breakthough... I've spent most of today throwing away all the sprite routines and rewriting them all to be more memory efficient.

By sending diagnostic information from the gp to the pc through the ext connector (usart), I found out the biggest level in the original "bor.pak" is 6a, which was attempting to take a whopping 12mb of ram in Beta3. No wonder this thing asked for a PC with 24mb of ram as a recommended requirement !

Now, however, it takes 3.5Mb :) and thats with no quality loss whatsoever. There's more processing required now per screen update, but I can't see any visual slowdown.

Needless to say, that level (and all the other bor levels) now play fine.

I've tried a few Megaman levels (eg. stage 2, which it fell over on before), and they now play fine.

How zat? :) :) :)

Wonderful :D

I'm just wondering how your GP32 port would work going backwards to PC, if at all, since you've obviously made a fair few memory adjustments that let the thing run very well on much lower end machines. It probably wouldn't help anyone (what's 24mb ram these days for your average PC?) but it could be an interesting idea.

On that line, I wonder how many similar GP32 ports have resulted in heavily heavily optimised code that might actually help in the machine the program was originally written for...

Great work Squidge; I haven't tried it yet (been in Crete), but this is going onto my SMC as soon as I can be bothered to unpack :)

Excellent Squidge !!!!! :)

Hum.. very very good news..!!!
I hope Beta4 will arrive soon ^^ to play megaman too !!!! :)

do you include music on intro and start screen ? ( stupid question ? ok ^^ )

24Mb--->3.5Mb??? 800% wahou :)
great work !!

I've tried a few Megaman levels (eg. stage 2, which it fell over on before), and they now play fine.
( i'm on a dream ?? where is the little white rabbit ? )

Squidge posted on Apr 12 2004 at 08:30 PM said:
Well, here's a nice little breakthough... I've spent most of today throwing away all the sprite routines and rewriting them all to be more memory efficient.

By sending diagnostic information from the gp to the pc through the ext connector (usart), I found out the biggest level in the original "bor.pak" is 6a, which was attempting to take a whopping 12mb of ram in Beta3. No wonder this thing asked for a PC with 24mb of ram as a recommended requirement !

Now, however, it takes 3.5Mb :) and thats with no quality loss whatsoever. There's more processing required now per screen update, but I can't see any visual slowdown.

Needless to say, that level (and all the other bor levels) now play fine.

How zat? :) :) :)
VERY VERY THANK YOU SO MUCH SQUIDGE!!! :D

Thanx to you, the GP32 is still alive for a long time! :)

It's true it seems to be a dream to play all BOR levels and all MODS levels with this memory free technic, but now it becomes true thanx to the great Squidge!!! :D

I can't wait beta 4 and my BLU!!! :D

P.S. : Beta 4...when??? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back