Smashedit 0.1

mATkEUpON

Certified Guru
Hi again !

I open this topic for all the people that would like to make characters / arenas for SmashGp.

You can ask anything, report bugs, give comments / suggestions. But also, this topic is there to make a better palette that will suit everyone's needs.

I attached a palette file - it's the windows' default palette, and I think it will be better than the one in the game. But maybe someone has a better one, so don't hesitate and submit yours.

I'd like to solve this palette problem as soon as possible, so thanks for your help.

upon trying to run any of the 3 executables i get an

"Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' of one of its dependencies not currently registered: a file is missing of invalid"

error

and help ? i had this error with the original editor that was supplied also

Ah, so you used my idea @palette. ;)

I'll have a look in this, design a character and stage and give you some feedback on what's missing. I have quite a lot to do right now, but I will find the time until next weekend, I guess.

BTW is a PC-Port planned?

Well I'm going to change some of the colors to grey levels, but I think it's a good palette.

I'll start working on a Dreamcast version soon, but no pc version for now.

I don't know Macromedia fireworks... But actually I plan to improve the bmp2pak program to convert pictures to 8 bit with the good palette... I think that's a good idea, as you can keep the original pictures in case the palette changes.
I can also explain how to do it with photoshop.

Please read carefully my 1st post, you'll notice that the palette I uploaded MAY replace the one smashgp uses now (pal00.act to pal09.act). But some of the colours have to be changed in this palette first. So DON'T use this palette right now, it is not definitive.

PLEASE TRY THIS PALETTE AND TELL ME IF IT IS OK FOR YOUR CHARACTER.

At least, so that we make sure everything will look good in any case. Or you can provide yours, or a picture that doesn't look good with it. Thanks.

Just wait a little before applying a palette to your gfx, just keep the original pictures for now.

I'm going to modify bmp2pak, then I'll release the new version with the definitive palette.

But if you want to do it yourself, you can use photoshop.

Just wait a little before applying a palette to your gfx, just keep the original pictures for now.

I'm going to modify bmp2pak, then I'll release the new version with the definitive palette.

But if you want to do it yourself, you can use photoshop.

Great :) I can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I got it working ! I have to verify 16bit & more bmp color ocnversion, but for 8 bit bmps it works. And the definitive palette has been set. Just have to add some code to smashgp for it to find its colours itself because changing the palette changes some colors used inside the program. I'll release the whole pack tomorrow, so no need to convert your bmps now. Bmp2pak will do it, with 8 bit, 16bit, 24 bit and 32bit bmps. B)

Ok I got Knuckles to show up...but is a pink background showing up with Knuckles part of that palette bug? Or is there a specific color I've got to make the background? Awesome job man...

Well the background color should be #00FFFF like this.

Bmp2pak will also need that.

Back