"Smach Z is Back!" ...?

So with that in mind, it could change in size quite a bit eh, as might get a 5", 7", 8" [who knows what size?] screen
I guess you have a problem when your controls (combined) almost use the same surface area as the screen. From an aesthetic point of view, I would guess that they won't use a smaller screen size. They may use a bigger one (which would make the proportions more appealing) but with every cm screen size they add they get further away from making a portable device - I know that there are people that strap a 10" Tablet to a wireless controller, but I doubt that group is big enough to be their only target.
Long story short > their control-pads/circles are too big for a portable device

I agree.
Even if the screen was 1" in size, it wouldn't be what I consider as portable [for me, to be portable, needs to fit in a typical sized jean pocket]
Those Steam Controller circle pads are far too large. I guess they using the exact same ones, and couldn't make their own smaller version of them?
It would be something, if I had it, that would be taken on the occasional overnight stay somewhere, or played at home. I wouldn't be carrying it around in a bag for on-the-go outdoor play

i think it's a nice sized screen, but yeah, it wouldn't fit in the pockets. besides the chunkier part in the back, the device has overall nice proportions IMO.

just why are the framerates so bad??

Those Steam Controller circle pads are far too large. I guess they using the exact same ones, and couldn't make their own smaller version of them?
It would be something, if I had it, that would be taken on the occasional overnight stay somewhere, or played at home. I wouldn't be carrying it around in a bag for on-the-go outdoor play
To be fair, I think the Touch Controller Pads need to be so big in order to be used with at least a kind of precision.

If they turned it into a clamshell on a 5"+ screen - no keyboard, but they would theoretically fit.

That form factor and portability have always been at odds. Even the Tapwave Zodiac felt like the controls added 'too much' length to the device.

I'm thinking the prototype shown off at Gamescom is another franken-type like PGS. They've made a number of comments on Facebook that allude to this, without outright saying it:

The benchmarks will be run on the final hardware, on our development boards, not in the cased prototypes which are using an Intel SoC, not any AMD G-Series or R-Series.

So this is running with an Intel SoC and they don't consider it to be one of their development boards, meaning they probably didn't design the PCB.

We begun a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to produce the console, but we canceled because people were asking for a full functional cased prototype (that we hadn't and it cost 200K) and W10. So we went back to raise private funds and come back with what people was asking for.

But they haven't made a fully functional prototype because it's the entirely wrong design and can't even really be described as functional. They admit that a proper prototype would be very expensive, so it really makes you wonder: who would give them $200k to develop this?

Gamescom was a prototype for design and controls.

Which suggests that the parts that are not related to the case design and controls were not actually designed/prototyped.

Unfortunately the design is both very simple and not very good. The controls are not quite identical to Valve's Steam Controller, but the pads may be a simple re-skin.

Shoving an entire tablet inside a case is something PGS didn't manage to do but it's not much of a challenge when they've made the thing this gigantic. And it would mean that unlike PGS they're not being upfront about it. People should really press them to make a statement on this.

They also claimed it will have a full desktop AMD CPU inside, not an Atom like the GPD Win... and they said it won't have active cooling.
Unless they have a copper brick in there (which would be HEAVY), I don't see that happen, seeing how the GPD Win runs hot already...

Well, the girl who made the hands-on of the Smach-Z for Curved was at our booth taking a look at the GPD Win, but she said she doesn't like Vita sticks and the Smach-Z will be a lot faster... so she wasn't really interested in the Win.
So they're marketing works ;)

I'm thinking the prototype shown off at Gamescom is another franken-type like PGS.
The analog stick looks exactly like a XBox 360 one, so I wouldn't be suprised if this was just a evaluation prototype with a hacked-up Steam Controller and/or XBox 360 controller inside.

Especially because they don't even have a final CPU/GPU combo. It's just known they want to use one by AMD. So - what did they achieve other than promoting their device at the GamesCom? And with the drivers being in a horrible state (that's the only way I can explain the horrible framerate of FEZ, also it would make sense to use just some hacked-up drivers if they don't even have a final CPU), I don't even think this was achieved for those who have no idea how a handheld is built. Everything that was shown is a badly working, way to big machine in a printed case. If they had done it in a similar fashion as ED and had a blog/forum that explains this development and with a customer group like the people on this forum, it would have been OK, but the mainstream often doesn't get technical development.

On the other hand, I'm also a guy who doesn't understand Steam Early Access at all and thinks the bug-ridden releases are detrimental to advertising the final release, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The mainstream gamers seem to enjoy these alphas that just get released to make a quick buck...

Well, the girl who made the hands-on of the Smach-Z for Curved was at our booth taking a look at the GPD Win, but she said she doesn't like Vita sticks and the Smach-Z will be a lot faster... so she wasn't really interested in the Win.
Have you seen her reply to EVERYTHING on the YouTube video from her private account? She's really defending this thing like a fangirl...

(EDIT: On the other hand, I can be a bit defensive about the Pyra, too; I'm really excited for that machine. But I'm not a reporter...)

So they're marketing works ;)

So a dubious prototype, a gigantic brick that performs terribly, got coverage over a nearly production-quality proper handheld because the sticks were too Vita-like and they made more impressive unsubstantiated claims?

Sad to see the state of tech journalism is as bad in Germany as it is in the USA...

Have you seen her reply to EVERYTHING on the YouTube video from her private account? She's really defending this thing like a fangirl...

(EDIT: On the other hand, I can be a bit defensive about the Pyra, too; I'm really excited for that machine. But I'm not a reporter...)

She actually listed it as her #1 GamesCom 2016 highlight in a tweet. Maybe she's been paid off.

Last edited:
As I said on the Dingoonity forum, the Smach Z doesn't make much sense to me for the following reason. If it's not going to be pocketable and be fairly large (yes I know it will be a little smaller - but with those pads, not so much) - then why wouldn't you go for a form factor that has a bigger screen and much better and more comfortable controls. Like the S192 form or any other 7" gaming tablet form. You get much better game controls and ergonomics and a bigger better screen. Whats the point of having a large non pocketable console with a 5" screen and lesser controls. Makes no sense. In the end, it will compete against gaming tablets in the eyes of many consumers anyway

This was one of the early debates regarding the WIN, some people actually wanted a form like the Smach Z. But the same argument as I posted above came up, it made no sense, if you were going to do that, you might as well make it a gaming tablet. Of course, if you made it a gaming tablet and not a pocketable clamshell design, then it would be competing with other gaming tablets - not just specific purpoose built gaming tablets, but also any (tablet and ipega 9023) combo.

It's a fine balance to get the right form factor for the best market positioning

Last edited:
I like how Google translates the Curved Smach Z article:

Play PC games without a laptop, which is now finally a reality - with the Smach Z. The handheld runs Windows 10 or Steam OS and lets you gamble on the go games like "Bioshock Infinite" or "Assassin's Creed".

Gamble on the go indeed.

Tested is currently a tetranuclear CPU (2.1 GHz each) and a graphics chip with two gigabytes of dedicated graphics memory.

Tetranuclear CPU :cool:

Despite its dimensions is the Smach Z, shorthand for "Steam Machine" is already well in hand. I would wish it to me getting slightly narrower so that the hands are not that far apart. But the design is still screwed anyway.

Don't worry everyone, the design is still screwed anyway.

Are you implying there may be corruption in gaming journalism? Omfg! ;)

I'd never suggest such impropriety. What do I look like, a sexist? :D

Maybe it's powered by four nuclear reactors... or at least will need a cooling system worthy of a nuclear reactor not to overheat. xD
No, I'm guessing they probably just crammed one of these in there:
199212-155313-blinky.jpg
,but like many of their decisions, the logic of this one also illudes me...

Cpu Core = Cpu Kern (like OS Kernel).

But atom nucleus = Atom Kern.

So google knows how hot the z smach would be, if it would realy contain the AMD gpu and the google AI related it to Tschernobyl :p.

And with the drivers being in a horrible state (that's the only way I can explain the horrible framerate of FEZ, also it would make sense to use just some hacked-up drivers if they don't even have a final CPU),
That is something I don't really understand (also in regards to the GPD Win) - both, the Smach guys and GPD have zero chance (and probably no interest in) to really optimize the drivers as they are just "plugging" components together. Or do Intel/AMD allow third parties access to their drivers code ?

Sad to see the state of tech journalism is as bad in Germany as it is in the USA...
I know that journalism is a blurry term, but is someone that is writing (or only doing videos ?) for a tech news - site automatically a journalist?

Wikipedia says A journalist is a person who collects, writes, or distributes news or other current information. which would fit here. IMO this is an adequate definition.

Indeed. In english, the term 'journalist' can be qualified with a preceding adjective, such as in 'investigative journalist'. A base level journalist probably just regurgitates press releases.

I have to say, https://xkcd.com/1176/

No mention that the person whom is being talked about behind her back has studied computer science, gone through training as an editor at an academy (Axel Springer, oh my...), and develops games in her free time. If you really want to know why she does things the way she does, why not ask her? Or invite her to join this conversation here. Then you may get your answer.

Note that it's not my intention to imply judgement about this person. I just really dislike this gossiping, and I didn't want to remain silent about it (even though it would probably have been still screwed anyway ;) https://xkcd.com/541/).

Also, Tetranucular. It's pronounced Tetranucular.

Yeah, like, heaven forbid somebody has an opinion without realizing that the experts on this forum are the arbiters of what's cool and good.

Back