Slackware - worth installing?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I am curious about Slackware and there are tons of pages on this subject I would like a simple answer on the following:

- what do you get vs angrstrom ? (can you install libraries updates directly from the system?)

- Is it fast enough on Pandora ?

- Are there any key functions missing (some hardware not being detected, for example?)

- How does the same application on Angrstrom compare to its equivalent on Slack ? For example, is Firefox running faster in slack or slower?

- do you have, overall, access to a lot more software through this distro ?

If Linux-Swat could drop by, probably he would be the best one to answer :)

From my experience:

It is fast, but a bit less snappy than angstrom.

The hardware should be fully supported.

There are packages premade for it by linuxswat to install, but there are also so called slackbuildscripts, with which you can compile custom packages. Compiling takes a while on Pandora though.

I don't want to know how long it will take to compile chromium for example.

From my experience:

It is fast, but a bit less snappy than angstrom.

The hardware should be fully supported.

There are packages premade for it by linuxswat to install, but there are also so called slackbuildscripts, with which you can compile custom packages. Compiling takes a while on Pandora though.

I don't want to know how long it will take to compile chromium for example.

Thanks for the answer - then, next question is, what do you use it for? :)

I tried to get jackd running with it to use some audiorouting, what seems to work for external soundcards, but not for the integrated Pandorasoundcard or mic.

Some programs, that need more up to date versions of the libraries provided by angstrom also run, like gtk3 and qt4.7 stuff.

Edit: Only "problem" is, that you need to install it all to sdcard, but thats not a really big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get jackd running with it to use some audiorouting, what seems to work for external soundcards, but not for the integrated Pandorasoundcard or mic.

Some programs, that need more up to date versions of the libraries provided by angstrom also run, like gtk3 and qt4.7 stuff.

Edit: Only "problem" is, that you need to install it all to sdcard, but thats not a really big deal.

How about browsing and other applications like Firefox and all? Can you find equivalents to what we have in pnd so far for Angrstrom?

Yes, as you build everything from source, you can have all the software you want (if it hasn't some openglstuff or something in it)

Firefox and seamonkey are included, but i myself often use the hdonk's firefox .pnd.

Yeah, Slackware is fast.

And yes, you have access to much more software.

Back