Skip The Queue

Sensible to wait in my view. The first batch will probably be troublesome compared to future revisions. Case in point, look at the GP2x - early batches had vertical lines on the screen, choppy audio, joystick that insisted on moving a diagonal when you didn't want it to and vice versa, which then got rotated a bit in MK2 but wasn't like a proper d-pad (the F200), which made some people (like me) do a d-pad mod; less "efficient" battery life in earlier models too. The boards look different between the revisions too which proves there were different build revisions of the hardware to fix some previous issues. The firmware also went through many changes for upgrades too. You can be probably sure that the early Pandora's will have lots of issues, it is about 2 years overdue now, had various different people writing firmware (never a good thing for continuity), probably will be released with bugs to get it out the door to raise funds to then make a batch that has less issues.

Mantis - I think it is a wise decision to leave the Pandora for a few months - even if it costs a bit more then, the difference will be worth paying.

To be honest, I don't think waiting until the second batch is going to make much difference to the quality of what you receive.
They're already planning to run the second batch off as soon as possible after the first one.

I already feel that being in the 2000+ range with my order number will mean my experience is better than some of the very first units.
They've become aware of many more things to quality check, and there will also be more software available when mine arrives.
However, I don't think they're going to find much more in the few months between my order and starting the second batch.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that apparently the necessity of calibrating the nubs every boot can't be fixed without a physical reflash of their firmware.
But I don't think that's going to be sorted out soon.
(according to discussions in #openpandora on freenode)

Well, I never said the second batch; I might wait until the third, who knows? For my web browsing needs in the meantime I have my Toshiba G900. Not the best CPU (but not bad), and it runs Windows Mobile. But it does have a screen that's the same res as the Pandora, runs Opera, and has a physical keyboard that slides out and is arguably better, from what I've heard about the key layout on the Pandora anyway. I might get a Wiz at some point if I need a new emulation fix.

I wonder if the Pandora will be truly mass-produced one day. I suppose that depends on its sales. Maybe Craig and company will team up with GPH? Wishful thinking I guess. :p

craigix said:
Today! Not sure when, but today.
"Today" is over...what's now?
Does anybody recieve a PM?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Today" is over...what's now?
Does anybody recieve a PM?

I dont think anyone has had a reply, dont think the PM's have been read , I think we are being a bit harsh on craig in this thread....

Seems like a lot of work is being put into getting the working units out the door with some insane hours being worked.

He missed a deadline , you all know craig by now LOL I am sure we will get a response in due course.

I was one of the first pre-orders and then I asked for a refund over the comms issue , I have since re-joined batch one, and have just learned to live with it.

We will all get our unit in the end i am sure ;)

7Zark7

Also, it seems there are many people who have thrown their name in to get one of these defective units sooner (me being another).

lizard809 said:
Also, it seems there are many people who have thrown their name in to get one of these defective units sooner (me being another).
I deleted my message to craig. It doesn't matter whether I get the device now or later... it's just a technical device.. not a relationship or something like that :D

7zark7 said:
Recieved a PM from Craig so sounds like he is working through the list.
Sounds nice. What does he wrote?

7zark7 said:
Recieved a PM from Craig so sounds like he is working through the list.

aye, just got mine.

im in a quandry. i'd like a pandora as i have a couple of things im working on that it could be most useful for and the nub isnt a biggie. but i'd rather have a fully working one, but i dont know where i am in the queue. if im long off then i'd swap but i suspect and hope im not.
i'd buy another one outright though

I've emailed those of you who wanted to do a straight swap. Some of you I could not email as the board stopped me from doing so.

craigix said:
I've emailed those of you who wanted to do a straight swap. Some of you I could not email as the board stopped me from doing so.

I have sent an email in response to the PM. I couldn't locate my order number however but I have responded with my full name and address so hopefully you can track it? Paid by Google Checkout around 12/11/09. Email address used is that I used to place the order in the first place.

craigix said:

Thanks for the update Craig.

Back