Silence!

@Kippykip really a GPD Win? Seems like according to the Meme, your into superficial girls that with toxic personalities (Windows).

Reallly GPD Win 2 will have at least 2 personalities like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (just joking), but simply you can select the one you want in each moment :)

I love Linux, but I don't think it is bad to have Windows as a second OS, or simply as an option (deciding if you want to install/use it or not).

Every few weeks I open up the GPD win store page with an intent to buy, but the feeling never lasts. Its just such an uninspiring device, IMO.

Plus, it'll be a cold day in hell before I spend another dime on a device that puts windows support ahead of linux, especially one thats built to be ultramobile. Twice bitten thrice shy.

Every few weeks I open up the GPD win store page with an intent to buy, but the feeling never lasts. Its just such an uninspiring device, IMO.

Plus, it'll be a cold day in hell before I spend another dime on a device that puts windows support ahead of linux, especially one thats built to be ultramobile. Twice bitten thrice shy.
Well I have the original GPD-Win but as far as I can tell, the Win 2 isn't much more powerful CPU+GFX wise which is all I cared for. I'm still happy with the Win 1 (other than the BSODs :( )
I just wish it was compatible with Windows 7 because all the cool old games that would run on potato hardware, simply don't run due to Windows 10's incompetence.
Doesn't help the forced Windows update breaks most of the wins drivers (this is an actual issue, check the reddit haha)

Meh
2wqy6uq.jpg
Damn it, I misspelled garbage xD
e7af5dd2-a907-4f44-bf18-3d61b881f711

Really I like your artwork (even with misspelled words), but the problem is that you are totally WRONG:

You say Pyra is OPEN SOURCE, but the really is that we have a SOC with proprietary binaries, and even with CLOSED and PROPRIETARY GPU driver (PowerVR GPU). So, no, it is not as OPEN as you stated.

On other side GPD Win 2 can use LINUX (it is basically a PC), and other open SO. By the way GPD Win 2 uses an Intel GPU, and those Intel GPU [1] can have open drivers, as Intel is of the few manufacturer supporting open drivers for its GPU.

Of course I value some plus points of Pyra:

1/ It is smaller: really pocket, While Win 2 isn't.

2/ Pyra has backlight keyboard and this is a must in a mobile device (I know what I say as I own 2 Sharp Zaurus without backlight in keyboard, so I can't use them in some places).

3/ Pyra SOC+memo board is upgradeable, so sometime we can get other SOC with more open space (like some new NXP i.MX 8) or even a future Si-Five RISC-V [2] (dreaming is free), while on GPD you die with original SOC until you buy a new machine. On other side Pyra and GPD Win 2 suffer from Meltdown-Spectre bugs (both have speculative execution and associated bugs), but on Pyra we can get a future SOC without those bugs like a Cortex-A53 SOC (even slower than Cortex-A15, but with 64 bits, more cores and without Meltdown-Spectre as it doesn't have speculative execution), or a future SOC with speculative exec but without actual bugs. On GPD you will have to buy a new machine to get a 2019 Intel SOC without those bugs.

PD: Of course Intel has horrible things like Intel Management Engine.

[1]: There were some old Intel GPU that were really PowerVR remarked as Intel. Those didn't had open drivers, as they were PowerVR (like OMPA5 GPU), not Intel.

[2]: RISC-V is a very interesting open ISA, but it will take at least a few years to develop. Recently Si-Five has presented the 1st 64 bit RISC-V chip/SOC that can run a complete Linux https://www.sifive.com/posts/2018/02/07/sifive-launches-worlds-first-linux-capable-risc-v-based-soc/
But even when later mass produced, this isn't suitable for Pyra, as it doesn't have a GPU or even video support (you need a separate chip/card for that).

Last edited:
why haven't i seen any tripod robots inspired by the war of the worlds?

We really need a term to describe the openness of devices like to Pyra or almost any x86 box with an nvidia video card. At least the primary computation path is all using open source code, it's just the final picture you draw depends on a binary blob (although if your writing to a framebuffer provided from that blob I reckon that would be relatively easy to test out)

I'm not sure RISC-V is strictly relevant to this discussion. The ARM ISA is fully documented, even if the internal layout isn't, so it's all deterministically specified (apart possible from some TrustCore weirdness I don't fully understand yet). Of couse, RISC-V giving us an open source layout which is neat to have, but it doesn't give us particularly more power to run open source code, which I care about more personally.

why haven't i seen any tripod robots inspired by the war of the worlds?

There was The kids TV show based on young-adult novels called 'The Tripods'. That may not have shown where you are though. I don't particularly remember much about it though, but I think they came from space.

on a slightly related note, last bios update for the GPD Pocket is from August last year and they do not seem to plan an update to fix Spectre ... so I personally would not trust them with that kind of money again

You say Pyra is OPEN SOURCE, but the really is that we have a SOC with proprietary binaries, and even with CLOSED and PROPRIETARY GPU driver (PowerVR GPU). So, no, it is not as OPEN as you stated.
To be fair, that isn't by choice - there are no open-source options for it, and ED has stated he would prefer that if it were at all possible... but it isn't.

So if you feel like disassembling the binary and reimplementing it in an open-source way, go for it, or find some hardware of comparable power that has open source drivers.

In lieu of those... This is the best that can be done.

You don't even HAVE to have the GPU driver at all to use it. You won't have accelerated graphics then, but there's an awful lot it can do without those.

Back