Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

take hot glue or a rubber band

(works with cameras, Laser-periphery and Printers!)

flight0000039918_20070521171023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean this is marked up for a hobbyist market and only $29.99 USD
If having a camera mean a spike of 30$ in retail price, then I dont want a camera. I wont put 30$ in something I will never use.Even the camera in my phone is useless, one in my pyra would be even more useless...

I think TrashyMG's point was that if you can get it for $30 single-unit retail price as a hobbyist rPi add-on (such DIY kits tend to be relatively expensive), then surely, it most be possible to get those same components way cheaper when bought in bulk and when it can perhaps be integrated into the device instead of needing a separate board and cable.

in my current situation 30$ is a large chunk of money....
With all due respect, if $30 is a large chunk of money then may I suggest that you may want to reconsider the $600 purchase in the first place? I don't want to discredit your situation, but if you're saving up for months to buy a new tech toy is another few weeks of saving really going to make you go "no, that's too long to wait"? That's what I'm doing. If it takes me another month or two then I'll do it because if it's even half what I'm imagining it'll be worth it.Furthermore, there are going to be things in the Pyra that have no use for you. There are things in the Pandora that I'm sure added to the cost that you've never used, never even considered using. There are going to be things in the Pyra that you will want that add to the cost that other people may not even be aware of. This is the nature of the device, it is very feature rich and it will have stuff in it that you will never use: arguing against one thing on the personal ground that you have no use for it is disingenuous. How many times has someone come along and said "I don't need a keyboard, just give me the awesome controls" only to be shot down? That's an extreme example but I think illustrates the point. If a camera is a bad idea then it will be proven to be a bad idea, not because one person are ok spending $600 on a device but not $630. There is some price point, a curve where people stop buying it because it costs too much despite the added features, but I don't think that necessarily happens at $30; I'm not going to even try guessing where it would be though. In either case, it still seems a bit premature, we don't even know if it can be made to fit.

I think TrashyMG's point was that if you can get it for $30 single-unit retail price as a hobbyist rPi add-on (such DIY kits tend to be relatively expensive), then surely, it most be possible to get those same components way cheaper when bought in bulk and when it can perhaps be integrated into the device instead of needing a separate board and cable.
That's exactly my point. The camera itself may be less than a $5.00 item all we know. Personally I agree with Wizardstan, if it's $30 to buy and implement that's a bit too much, however I think the parts are a lot cheaper than that.

And like I said before I could take or leave the camera..

_wb_: I like the manhattan camera, but alas, it is USB 1.1 (unless we get a fully compatible usb 1,2 and 3 port, this could matter).

I'd also still stick to this type of clip, which is firm and does not harm the paint or screen due to clamping too hard:

logitech-hd-webcam-c310-gallery-5thumbnail.png
logitech-hd-webcam-c310-gallery-2thumbnail.png
source: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/hd-webcam-c310

If the pyra has a bezel too, it really sticks to the top of the screen. The only problem is the long cable, which adds to the weight, and should be shortened if going to be used as pyra cam (tape does work too).

If this camera is also able to store video and not just still images, then I think that would be very interesting indeed. Could be a nice little editing suite along with the audio in option.

If this camera is also able to store video and not just still images, then I think that would be very interesting indeed. Could be a nice little editing suite along with the audio in option.
Even the cheapest camera can do video.

Anyway, after I've given it some thought, I've decided that I don't really care about whether the Pyra should have a camera built-in or not. If it's too much trouble or not worth it to have it built-in, then ED should just sell one or two models of USB cameras in his store, that work well with the Pyra and the Pandora.

One thing I should point out is that the camera (if we include one) should have autofocus. The WebOS community always lamented the lack of that feature in their cameras.

-God Ginrai

I think one camera should be sufficient.

I suggest solder it on properly, don't surface mount it:

CAN_3D_CAMERA_RIG.jpg

No but seriously, Pyra and Pandora are primarily for gaming on great open hardware.

It doesn't have to be equivalent to a phone, and it doesn't have to be equivalent to a laptop.

Sure it would be cool to have every gadget under the sun, like the phones do, but it's not practical to do that.

It's not just the cost, the more shit we add to it the more things can go wrong when manufacturing it -

and as you know, everything that can go wrong will go wrong!

I still think that combining a superb android phone with an iCP2-like device and full Pandora Linux OS would be better than building our own computer again.  It's not so indie, but would give a more modern and more capable device at a lower cost.  Anyhow, I guess I can probably do that myself.

No but seriously, Pyra and Pandora are primarily for gaming on great open hardware.
It doesn't have to be equivalent to a phone, and it doesn't have to be equivalent to a laptop.

Sure it would be cool to have every gadget under the sun, like the phones do, but it's not practical to do that.

It's not just the cost, the more shit we add to it the more things can go wrong when manufacturing it -

and as you know, everything that can go wrong will go wrong!

I still think that combining a superb android phone with an iCP2-like device and full Pandora Linux OS would be better than building our own computer again.  It's not so indie, but would give a more modern and more capable device at a lower cost.  Anyhow, I guess I can probably do that myself.
Why do I feel like you just contradicted yourself?

wel lthis is an interesting idea. i'm torn. i'd perfer the focus be on perofmance but, if you can fit a cheap/crap camera in there easiyl fro skype/video chat that'd be nice.

If we do get a nice rear camera, what the possibility for dual led flash?

Back