Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

If we do get a nice rear camera, what the possibility for dual led flash?
Phh LEDs, we should go back to flashcubes..

Flashcube_on_Kodak_Instamatic.jpg

What's wrong with some magnesium powder and a solenoid-actuated sparking flint?

I suddenly feel so very old.
ditto.. It's hard to find 126 film cartridges these days..
Don't you mean 26, not 126? I think there are also bigger ones (though not /that/ big), but it's been a while I had one in my hands.

Edit: or what exactly does film cartridge mean in English? It's those cylindrical things with a length of film in it which are used in analog photo cameras to store the picture, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
126 is just a format ID. It meant 26x26mm square negatives. It used to be very popular even up until a few (like, 10?) years ago.

I suddenly feel so very old.
ditto.. It's hard to find 126 film cartridges these days..
Don't you mean 26, not 126? I think there are also bigger ones (though not /that/ big), but it's been a while I had one in my hands.

Edit: or what exactly does film cartridge mean in English? It's those cylindrical things with a length of film in it which are used in analog photo cameras to store the picture, isn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/126_film 

Yes discontinued in 1999 by Kodak it seems..

Ah, so I at least got it partially right. Was never much interested in photography. We always had just one type of film cartridge which was available in two lengths, 26 and 36 pictures or something like this.

But I'm also not quite as old as you yet. :p

Where to put this?
Maybe between L and R button, its less then 1 cm. I would love to a mobile camera since I avoid mobile phones where ever it is possible.

Even our lid is no 5mm and screen will get thinner.

We don't want a bigger lid.
How big is the lid exactly?
I don't have exact data.

It's about 10mm with rim and 5mm without rim.

The new screen thinner than the Pandora screen (if we take it). I could imagine the new lid could be 5mm including the rim.

(No data is set! Everything speculation right now! All I know is that the lid might get smaller).

I don't know what's the right way to go.

Pro:

Camera is nice to have, especially if you don't have a phone with one

Camera is good for advertisement (at least for the broad mass)

I somehow like having some camera with me and be able to take some quick picture

Somehow a "must have" feature nowadays

Contra:

It costs money

It's one more part that could break

(My opinion: It's ugly to have one in the lid)

Pandora is clamshell to protect the screen. Now the camera lens could get hurt if it's on the outside

Some companies don't allow devices with camera.

I really don't know what's the better way to go.

My last Contra argument is what makes a camera a pretty bad option for me.

Even if it affects only a small amount of people.

Can you even get phones these days that don't have a camera on them?

For me personally, I wouldn't really require a camera on the Pyra, that is unless the Pyra was also a phone ... in that instance I would want the camera there.

I could then ditch the HTC and be Pyra all the way

I will never fully understand why people want cameras on their phones..but not on a handheld computer, as it were. Doesn't it make more sense to be on the latter? Maybe that's just me..

I will never fully understand why people want cameras on their phones..but not on a handheld computer, as it were. Doesn't it make more sense to be on the latter? Maybe that's just me..
Simple. They never actually wanted cameras on their phones, they are just there. Then, after having tried out the cameras on their phones and disliking the level of quality, they don't want it on their handheld computer due to the bad quality of the images it takes. That doesn't seem too hard to follow.

-God Ginrai

Maybe make the camera removeable to avoid security problems? A small hole where you can put in the camera or some small plastic block if you have no camera?

About security in hight security areas

My Phd was in an Israeli Space Company with his iphone, he just had to put a sticker from them on his iphone camera.

Usecases:

I sometimes want to take a picture, maybe to ask something (these pizzas look great should i take one for you too?), maybe to copy some handwritten homework to a mail and send it (try to type some physic stuff on pandora, you will get crazy).

I would even love 2 cameras next to each other for 3d geometrie reconstruction.

@God Ginrai: How kind of you to take the time to explain that to me in such a truly non-patronising tone. I fear maybe you should spell it out a little clearer to me next time though, as it seems too much for lil ol' me to grasp ;)

My wife's iPhone 5 takes great photos. And I believe the camera is one of the most used features on smart phones .  It's just a handy thing to have.  I personally don't have a smartphone , so I wouldn't want to have to buy(and carry) a Pyra and smartphone/camera just to take pictures.

Back