Should I have received my final order eMail already?

Any update on production/shipping progress @Askarus ? Conscious that if/when you become busy again production may also stall (again)... still itching to get mine too!

What we have:
  • 30 EU black ready to delivery on the shelf
  • 24 more ready black units that require an updated Debian 12 with the new bootloader
  • About 50 prepared copper top sides (Screen + keybaord housing)
  • About 50 prepared black top sides (Screen + keybaord housing)
  • 70 more CPU PCBs that were claimed to be dead do boot with the latest uboot, so in total we have something between 100 and 130 CPU PCBs here
  • There are about 27 more EU PCBs here that were tested and do work
  • We have ahand full of US PCBs left, that are being reserved for new orders
  • Many mainboards of different kinds sent to Global Components for repair
What we are lacking:
  • Non-LTE PCBs
  • US PCBs
  • !! Properly set up install image for Debian 12 with the latest botloader and my fixes !!
What we are waiting for:
  • Global Components repairing the PCBs, so we can fulfill the rest of the open Non-LTE orders
  • aTc or Wally creating an OS that is ready for delivery
What are the next steps:
  • I'll prepare the shoulder buttons and bottom caase parts, so that assembly will be faster later.
  • EvilDragon will open 50 more EU orders since we can be sure that we have enough parts to deliver them
What causes delays currently:
  • Gamescom wsas the main blocking factor
  • We are waiting for Global Components to get the PCBs we need
  • I hate the old bootloader, no update, no Pyras. It's really just updating a hand full of packages and the install image with things we already have.

Awesome news! Great to hear things are still coming along. Thanks for all your work.

EvilDragon will open 50 more EU orders since we can be sure that we have enough parts to deliver them

Excellent! I'll have to start saving so I can get one of those orders.

Reactions: rSl
Awesome news! Great to hear things are still coming along. Thanks for all your work.

Excellent! I'll have to start saving so I can get one of those orders.
Do not understand this wrong. We are sending out 50 mails to people who already preordered to tell them that their Pyra is ready and we can ship them.
There is still no date for when new orders can be placed. We have still a pile of old orders to deliver.

Do not understand this wrong. We are sending out 50 mails to people who already preordered to tell them that their Pyra is ready and we can ship them.
There is still no date for when new orders can be placed. We have still a pile of old orders to deliver.

There are also still orders that have made final payment waiting for shipping.

There are also still orders that have made final payment waiting for shipping.
I mentioned that above.
Those are the non-LTE ones mostly and a few US ones. We unfortunately had to few non-LTE mainboards here and are waiting for GC to get the repaired ones.
Regarding the US ones: Those were stalled because we had no black housings left. I built those units and have them here. It's only 2 open US orders. Next week I'll visit the shop and we'll send out the units.
The black EU orders that were open (only 3) also fell victim to the black housing shortage. Those were sent out a few weeks ago.
So in total not many orders are open and since we have EU PCBs in stock, we will order the next 50 EU preorders. This does not affect the other already fully paid orders in any way.
I am well aware that this situation is very unfortunate and it was planned to send out fully paid orders soon after payment if done.

We have plenty of housings here, 30 already tested and built EU black units and at least 27 more tested EU PCBs. So the next EU orders will not have to wait that long :)
I plan to completely package all the black units already for shipping, so that we can send out the units as soon as the payment is in :)

@Askarus - I believe I am one of the U.S. pre-orders. I'd stopped checking back in for a good while.

I am one of the non-LTE orders - I don't ever see hooking the Pyra up to a cell tower. Edit: I don't really care that much if it has a cell modem or not, I just wouldn't use that service.

Would it be any easier on the Pyra team if I switched anything up with the order?
If you're out of black cases, would a different case make sense? If the answer is no, or the only other options for things are significantly more expensive, don't worry about it.
If the answer is yes and the price wouldn't change very much, I might be open to a change. (I don't even know what things would make sense to change with the order.)

For that matter I don't recall how much was left over to pay for the device once it was actually assembled

Edit: Was it another $300 Euros above what was paid?

Last edited:
@Askarus - I believe I am one of the U.S. pre-orders. I'd stopped checking back in for a good while.
No, you're not ?
I am one of the non-LTE orders - I don't ever see hooking the Pyra up to a cell tower. Edit: I don't really care that much if it has a cell modem or not, I just wouldn't use that service.
Askarus may tell you better, but I think when he speaks of US or EU or non-LTE he refers to the Pyra,not to the customer (though there's expected correlation).
a US - preorder would be a preordre for a Pyra with a modem suited for commercially available frequencies in the US
a EU - preorder would be a preorder fro a Pyra with a different modem suitable for EU frequencies.
a non-LTE preorder would be an order for a Pyra without any modem.
(LTE services in other parts of the world may use frequencies more or less compatible with the US modem or the EU modem)
The customer nationality or the place where the order was placed from is irrelevant (or at least not what is been talked about)

I think.

No, you're not ?

Askarus may tell you better, but I think when he speaks of US or EU or non-LTE he refers to the Pyra,not to the customer (though there's expected correlation).
a US - preorder would be a preordre for a Pyra with a modem suited for commercially available frequencies in the US
a EU - preorder would be a preorder fro a Pyra with a different modem suitable for EU frequencies.
a non-LTE preorder would be an order for a Pyra without any modem.
(LTE services in other parts of the world may use frequencies more or less compatible with the US modem or the EU modem)
The customer nationality or the place where the order was placed from is irrelevant (or at least not what is been talked about)

I think.
I'm in the U.S. I ordered a 4GB standard, which I believe means no LTE modem, Pyra. If I recall right I chose the black case. . . but it's been eight years. I took a look at my order number and it says it's not valid or ready for shipping. Ordered way back on may 6th, 2016. It still shows in my order history on dragonbox.de .

I definitely don't want to majorly upgrade my order, but if there are small changes that wouldn't cost much or anything that would make things easier on the team, I'm willing to consider them.

Edit: Maybe I should say I'm one of the non-LTE orders if U.S. specifically refers to a US LTE version of the Pyra.

Would it be any easier on the Pyra team if I switched anything up with the order?
If you're out of black cases, would a different case make sense? If the answer is no, or the only other options for things are significantly more expensive, don't worry about it.
If the answer is yes and the price wouldn't change very much, I might be open to a change. (I don't even know what things would make sense to change with the order.)

For that matter I don't recall how much was left over to pay for the device once it was actually assembled

Edit: Was it another $300 Euros above what was paid?

It's all good. ED told me that we got back the repaired PCBs from GC. So we hopefully will be able to seilver the remaining open non LTE oders.
I do not know how many PCBs of each kind we got, so I can not tell you right now. I'll check on Friday when I'm at the shop.
Sorry for the delay, I know it's a huge inconvenience.

I am happy to take non-LTE if that speeds up delivery. Actually I don't need LTE at all - may i change that?

Non-LTE implies non-GPS (or whatever satellite positioning system there is) if I recall correctly. I don't care too much for LTE, but I'd like GPS, so I'm not changing anything.

I am happy to take non-LTE if that speeds up delivery. Actually I don't need LTE at all - may i change that?
It does not matter.
We simply were lacking 11 non-LTE and 2 US mainboards.
We had some with minor defects that were sent to GC for repair and we'll check how many we got of each kind on Friday most likely.
After those, we'll need to produce more PCBs anyways, so the type of order does not matter.
(Of course it would be better if we ditched LTE (but keep all other components like GPS) entirely, since it is not working anyways. That is what I would do).
One color, one version and just get the units out.

I'm a US order. I asked for the one with the cell modem because I think that one also had the thermometer and barometer or something like that. It's been a long time.

If Ed can get the production stable and consistent I wonder if he would consider crowdfunding to get a new SOC in the Pyra and make any needed changes- some of @Askarus' suggestions of removing un-used or non-working components makes sense. Last I read, a Pyra costs more to manufacture than the actual sale price.

Personally, I'd consider the modem a vital component as wifi is not something which is taken for granted where I live. I look forward to getting a hold of one so I can contribute to getting the modem working properly.

Personally, I'd consider the modem a vital component as wifi is not something which is taken for granted where I live. I look forward to getting a hold of one so I can contribute to getting the modem working properly.
Unfortunately it is way more stable to use one of those tiny mobile wifi access points that take a SIM card.
I have used the modem a little, it drains the bettery so fast that I do not consider it viable.

Back