Should I have received my final order eMail already?

We should sell it as a UMPC first, gaming device second.

Seems to me that it is already advertised like that.
The gaming features are just described as additional information.

1715890627318.png

The Pyra's design is old and the connectivity is bad. Micro USB and the likes ...
All in all, so many bad circumstances...
Thank you very much for your sincerity.

However ED is financing the project at a loss and doing his best to deliver all the Pyras so that everyone who paid for it will get one.
I think ED is great doing so. On other side I think it doesn't change Pyra state or destination, because with so small units number, it won't get a minimal users base, and that implyes you can receive a hardware but sofware won't be never good or in tune because there is near no people working on it. A lot of years ago, possibly with a few thousands installed base, in successive batches and new CPU board, it could be different beacause user base and user interest on it. Now it is sure there will be no more Pyra batches, so it is dead.

It's sad for mots of us still here, because we had a lot of hopes and dreams on Pyra (of course it is worse, a nightmare, for ED).
Post automatically merged:

Be that as it may, I'm so glad the Pyra exists, and I'm still excited to get one... eventually...

Perhaps I'm stupid, and/or one of only a handful of people, but I still feel the Pyra is a small wonder (and not everything needs to follow modern trends).

I don't own a Pyra, but I own a PinePhone (with keyboard) and I know how bad, really bad, is a "computer" where SO/firmware status is incomplete or faulty. And PinePhone is on market a lot of time ago, and with a more people than Pyra working on it but not enough.

I have experiences whit X86 SOC Driven Mini Computers whit the Win 1 and the Win Mini...
... and you have a whole Windows 11 behind which also costs Power
You can install Linux on that x86 computer, I suppose.

Now it is sure there will be no more Pyra batches, so it is dead
I would not be so sure about that. At least ED does not think like that currently ;)

What the Pyra needs is a refresh that cleans up all the complicated stuff so that a lot of things just work and not so much work needs to be done.

For me, that means, that the interests in the device decreased massivly.
There is no Pyra, it is dead because there won't be more Pyra orders, even it will take a lot of time (years?) to serve very old orders. How could be interest?

I would not be so sure about that. At least ED does not think like that currently ;)
It is harder to believe than 3-months™ thinking :)

I said more batches but I wanted to say more orders. I think it is possible orders -placed a lot of time ago in old times-, be served after a lot of years and knowing it won't be more, so soft development/SO/etc on Pyra is dead because there won't be a small but growing user base, nor a base enough to build required support.

ED could probably cooperate with GPD to have some custom design created. But the idea of the Pyra was that it's made in Europe and not in China.
And it's probably too far fetched that GPD would switch production to Europe. Who knows, they might convince some European institute to subsidize production of handheld computers for GPD. But until that happens ED has to do it on his own which is slower and way more costly.

If current developments in AI threaten developer jobs, because AI enables small numbers of developers to do the work of large numbers of devs, ...
I guess it can be especially helpfull in understanding and debugging huge code bases one doesn't know by heart, like kernel and drivers.

I’m going to consider the money lost. Wish ED the best, maybe one day it all turns around and I’ll still be happy to pay the rest if he wants to ship (and it helps him to finish orders) but it sounds like it’s all just a drain for him.

I was very happy with the Clockwork UConsole CM4 to scratch the itch of a full keyboard Linux device. It’s far from a gaming or emulation handheld but it’s definitely a capable Linux pc on the go and the batteries are relatively easily swapped. Recommended.

In my opinion, it is still a unique device, despite all the others around, but I think that the USB-C is becoming more and more a missing feature.

I'm absolutely in line with the mentality to sell it as a portable PC, because even the Pandora was underrated if called a "console"... I mean, I actually found the project just because I wanted a portable console, and the keyboard made it perfect even for emulation of old computers, but in the end I started to use it more and more for every kind of computer things, or as an ebook reader.

Anyway, when the device will be ready software-side, and with maybe and easy to use dedicated interface, it will be a good idea to highlight very well it's gaming capabilities too.

In my opinion, it is still a unique device, despite all the others around, but I think that the USB-C is becoming more and more a missing feature.

I'm absolutely in line with the mentality to sell it as a portable PC, because even the Pandora was underrated if called a "console"... I mean, I actually found the project just because I wanted a portable console, and the keyboard made it perfect even for emulation of old computers, but in the end I started to use it more and more for every kind of computer things, or as an ebook reader.

Anyway, when the device will be ready software-side, and with maybe and easy to use dedicated interface, it will be a good idea to highlight very well it's gaming capabilities too.
Slowly USB-C is taking over micro-USB chargers in my house. Which I noticed when trying to compile Medal of Honor and my Pyra's battery was almost empty, and I couldn't find a charger near my desk.
So I guess this part will become more important in the future. I also have dedicated charging cables for the Pandora as mini-USB charging cables are hardly seen these days.

Things i bought:
2016 Pyra
2019 Fxtec Pro1
2023 uConsole
Still have no mobile device with a good keyboard at home since my N900 broke, as i just dont get a single device delivered.
As my order number is >600, i dont think to ever get a pyra now, as i dont see a second batch coming.
So i think about creating my own...

For me there is no device that is comparable, so I'm still very interested!
So do I, I am/was interested on Pyra because, although it was outdated years ago, it was no comparable, for example its size was near like a normal NDS and there isn't nothing like that with usable keyboard plus gamming controls (for me keyboard is more important). But the problem with Pyra is that nobody can't buy it or order it now; time ago it was a "promise" although further and further away with years, but now it isn't even a promise, so I can't compare it with products we can buy or order and receive in weeks or months. Sorry, but although I am here from a lot of years ago (2015), patiently, I am realistic.

On other side, if we could forget we can't buy nor order Pyra, it is the fact its soft/firmware state is really bad, and most problems can't be solved because of OMAP4 SOC. For example it can't suspend (or as you call it). One point of having a pocket computer with you is you can use it instantly from your pocket, you don't need to wait for it to boot and load OS+apps. Pocket computers worked like that -instant on- from begining of time.

I have owned a lot of pocket computers, as I began on 8-bit pocket computers (in fact I own HP pocket computers with 4-bit Saturn CPU; this Saturn CPU is very special as it is a 4-bit ALU and data bus design but with some 64-bit registers and 20-bits address), and all of them could be suspended and lasted enough time (some of them a lot of months, even years on one battery set). It has been that way since the begining with first pocket computer, being¹ it Sharp PC-1211 from 1980 or other pocket computer from early 80's.

A pocket computer which can't suspend? What? How do yuo compare that with other pocket computers?
It would be OK for a traditional pocket console but it isn't for a pocket computer and Pyra is a pocket computer, it isn't a Game Boy.

¹: I don't consider Sharp PC-1211 a pocket computer but a programmable calcultaor, because you can't escape from its limited BASIC environment. For example Sharp PC-1500 from 1981, and others, are real pocket computers because you can escape from BASIC and access CPU machine code for example with POKE/CALL BASIC commands, so you are not constrained by BASIC language calculator environment but only by hardware limitations.

On comparision with other pocket computers can say I didn't like old GPD Win, for example 1st model didn't have backligted keyboard, keyboard wasn't good, and it had other points I didn't like. But last model, GPD Win Mini 2024, seems interesting: backlighted keyboard, and it seems good; its the size of like a Nintendo 3DS XL and similar to my PinePhone with keyboard. It is 2.9 cm larger and 2.2 cm wider but thinner than Pyra: 2.6 vs 3.2 cm. So I think it is pocket size. On other side its display go from corner to coner, while on Pyra there is a lot of wasted space on display lid. And now its display is landscape native, while old GPD Win and Pyra are portrait native (and that has its bad implications specially on games).

Sincerely I would like to see Pyra on market (real market, a Pyra you can buy/order and receive like you receive a GPD) with next ARM CPU board, so it coud get good support (and suspension or as you call it), but watching our and ED journy all these years (since 2015), I don't expect it. I would like to be wrong, and I would celebrate it and probably order a Pyra (if problems are solved enough and I don't have then other "modern" pocket computer then).

PD: BTW I dislike PinePhone+keyboard a lot because firnware/SO state. I have never used a computer with so bad state on those facets. And I think Pyra is even worse on them.

Last edited:
Things i bought:
2016 Pyra
2019 Fxtec Pro1
2023 uConsole
Still have no mobile device with a good keyboard at home since my N900 broke, as i just dont get a single device delivered.
As my order number is >600, i dont think to ever get a pyra now, as i dont see a second batch coming.
So i think about creating my own...

Did you get refund with Fxtec Pro1 and uConsole?

I own 3 N900 (all working) but I don't like those keyboards: too small to be usable (and i don't have fat fingers but long fingers). I will sell them while I conserve old HP pocket computers (I continue using and enjoyinhg HP 48 pocket computer from a lot of decades ago, one of my favorite, so much I have a lot of them for backup; also owning HP 95/100/200LX MS-DOS pocket computers, 2 Zaurus SL-C, Psion 5mx, PinePhone, etc, etc...).

My feeeling wahcthing uConsole keyboard picture is bad, and I have a 6th sense to detect bad keyboards :)

Did you know about Auspicious Machine? It would be a good replace for N900 having similar screen size (both are 3.5 inches displays but Auspicious Machine LCD is a bit bigger as it is more squared) but candybar design.
It seems to be dead :( So much dead pocket computer projects.

Things i bought:
2016 Pyra
2019 Fxtec Pro1
2023 uConsole
I have two of those. Never heard of the uConsole, though.
Not that I have any reassuring words (not beyond what was already said anyways). Perhaps I'm just lucky and managed get stuff before things grinded to halt.

I own 3 N900 (all working) but I don't like those keyboards: too small to be usable (and i don't have fat fingers but long fingers). I will sell them while I conserve old HP pocket computers (I continue using and enjoyinhg HP 48 pocket computer from a lot of decades ago, one of my favorite, so much I have a lot of them for backup; also owning HP 95/100/200LX MS-DOS pocket computers, 2 Zaurus SL-C, Psion 5mx, PinePhone, etc, etc...).

My feeeling wahcthing uConsole keyboard picture is bad, and I have a 6th sense to detect bad keyboards :)

Did you know about Auspicious Machine? It would be a good replace for N900 having similar screen size (both are 3.5 inches displays but Auspicious Machine LCD is a bit bigger as it is more squared) but candybar design.
UConsole keyboard is too clicky/resistant but it’s not bad, it’s just ok. I enjoy typing on it, I just wish the keys were a bit quieter/easier.

The Auspicious Machine never hit the market, or did it?
Did not get a refund on any device, not sure what i should do else than writing mails every few weeks.
But i still hope to get a uConsole this year ;)

UConsole keyboard is too clicky/resistant but it’s not bad, it’s just ok. I enjoy typing on it, I just wish the keys were a bit quieter/easier.
I expect the pyra keyboard to be the best on the marked, but never could have tried one.

Have faith, it'll come. ED is now doing this at a loss, yet he is still delivering Pyrae. Nobody would do that if they intended giving up on something. He has proved himself to be an amazing person, just perhaps a little over stretched.

The Pyra is still absolutely brilliant. But the long development period means that things have moved on a bit: USB-C; and linux has pretty much transitioned to 64-bit, which makes life difficult for wanting to use a mainstream web-browser (for example).
A physical keyboard (not Bluetooth) is great for privacy. I still mourn my Psion Series 5mx, and want a Pyra as a slightly more functional replacement. My focus is not on gaming. The Planet Computer's various handhelds were almost there, too, and I have hope too for something useful to come out of Pine64. The Pyra is by far the best of the bunch.

Looking at the future, any new device would probably benefit from using USB as a 'universal bus' so that the end-user could add bluetooth and/or WiFi and/or Ethernet dongles. A 'case-base' that connected with SPI to deliver a USB hub with connectivity for 'a number' of dongles might be a flexible way forward (problem here is that SPI is not hot-swappable - one might need to use USB from body to case-base). Speculation and wish lists are far, far easier than producing the #### things, though.

I have huge respect for EvilDragon and his continuing work to fulfil orders. I wish we could make better use of his obvious commitment so we could get to critical mass. He has a huge amount of experience that could be tapped to make things better, faster: but we have no fairy godmothers with funding and trained workers. It's a pity no billionaires are interested. Or the NLnet Foundation. Or TUXEDO Computers.

Back