Share your projects

The cardboard wears in a form of fibers which accumulate on the outward parts of the "bearing", filling it. This works quite efficiently, only add the solution and tighten the mounting. After 6 or 7 attempts it looks like there is no need to tighten as it enters some kind of "steady state" of worn cardboard circulation.
The device does not exactly work by applying alcohol - it works by passing the ribbon through the alcohol+ink solution.

Started building the Gigatron (https://gigatron.io/) - my version apparently has the version 4 ROM (mentioned here: https://hackaday.io/project/20781-gigatron-ttl-microcomputer/log/169989-micro-soft-basic-and ). The build process is documented step-by-step in the manual, and is designed to start you off getting more comfortable with soldering, and in each step there is a simple test (using a multimeter) they suggest you do to ensure each step goes as smoothly as possible. It's really well thought through, and even the chips are aligned on the foam in the box to match the layout of the board.

I'm currently just starting the process, and have the LED lit after completing the power circuitry. I'm taking it slowly, so this will take a few evenings to complete over the next week or two (normally you can do it in a single session, in around 2-4 hours).

The Gigatron case and chips:
Gigatron_Unboxed-Slight_Damage.jpg

Power circuitry working - LED is lit:
Gigatron_Step_2-LED_Working.jpg

Interesting, i first heard about that yesterday, when i saw a YouTube video of somebody building the new MaxiMite Color 2 that they've just announced. Good job!

While it's similar, I don't think the Maximite is related(?). The Gigatron doesn't have a CPU at all (it's TTL based), and consists of components that apparently would have been available in the 1970's (apart from the Pluggy McPlugface keyboard adapter, which is an external add-on and enables BASIC programs to be loaded and run)

Sadly the guy who largely designed the kit passed away a couple of months ago (I just found that out recently from their forum), and there are no plans to produce more (although the other guy who helped originally design it, Walter, is still active and supporting the existing community).

The community is still developing mods, software and firmware updates. There are talks of a more compact 4-layer PCB version, and there exists mods to overclock and upgrade to 64k RAM

I must admit that they look interesting, though after buying an fpga dev board, i probably just invest some time into that instead.

Well, i hate to say it, I think all my current projects have bottomed out. I don't really know what to do. Part of me was planning on joining the GMTK2020 jam, but i don't usually get anything submitted to jams

I realised I never posted a video of Metal Rain when I did the screenshot... for the reveal on why I never complete anything - here's a video with three different prorotype builds

• Love
Reactions: rSl
instead of derailing the news threads (https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/a-case-of-polls.99168/post-1678751), i'll post any progress here.

so far it's just been copy-pasting a custom WIP C++ game engine (SDL under the hood) and combining with some utility functions/classes that i have.

out.gif

as you can see, i have a physics engine, but only gravity is implemented, no collisions... it makes for a bit of a short playthrough.

the bug was that my collision boxes were getting out of sync with the physics positions (positions + deltaBoundary = collisionBoundary, and my physics engine was updating the collisionBoundary and velocities only, instead of backpropagating to the positions).

hello2.gif

no jump physics yet, but pressing up lets you fly around :D. i'll stop recording with my cursor at some point...

so all that physics was completely general, and applies to multiple finite-mass objects. with only a few tiny adjustments, i think it's looking like completely normal physics:

Back